Niestadt, Germany

Dec 6th, 2018, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Niestadt, Germany

Hi. I found some research from my dad’s side of the family. It says that my great-great grandmother is from Niestadt, Hanover, Germany.

When I google it, it comes up as Hanover, Germany. Google maps puts me in Neustadt am Rubenberge.

Any insights?

(I thought my father’s family traced their roots to Ireland. I am happy to see it’s Germany bc I really like it there).
Dec 6th, 2018, 02:56 PM

Niestadt is the plattdütsch (low german dialect) name of Neustadt am Rübenberge.
Neustadt is a pretty common name in German (it means new town)- similar to Springfield in the US.
In the dialect of that region (which is by coincidence the region I grew up) Neu/new morphs to Nie..pronounced as the first three letters of the English word "need".

Neustadt am Rübenberge is a somewhat unspectacular small town, not too far from Hannover (Hanover), Lower Saxony's state capitol.
Dec 9th, 2018, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Cowboy, that’s interesting and helpful.

I suspect that even an unspectacular small German town is nicer in many aspects than my hometown

I have been to Germany several times (it’s one of my favorite countries), but I haven’t explored the northern part yet. Someday...
Dec 9th, 2018, 03:32 PM

There is also the village of Niestedt, now district of Dannenberg, which also belonged to the territory of Hannover in former times, and there is Nienstädt in Schaumburg-Lippe which was, strictly speaking, not part of Hannover but is not too far away.

Please recheck if you are able to find more details and clues. I'd think that "Neustadt" would rather have become "Newstadt" than "Niestadt" in American documents.
Dec 10th, 2018, 01:11 AM

Good point, quokka.
Nienstädt in Schaumburg-Lippe would probably not be a candidate as it was, as you wrote, in another territory.
From a friend who is engaged in ancestry research: Many documents in the "New World" relied on oral statements of the newcomers. The clerks (civil or clerical) in charge of registers in the US usually had no own knowledge of small towns in Scotland, Germany or Italy. Many names of places can be found in a multitude of spelling - if only because the emigrant had no real knowledge of writing or reading.

Last edited by Cowboy1968; Dec 10th, 2018 at 01:26 AM.

Search this Thread