Any Fodorites Living in Paris??

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2005, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to walk inside Notre Dame, roam through the museums and take pictures of that famous Tower, BUT...

I don't speak French. I have had several people say Go Anyway, but many more say that i would have such difficulty communicating that the resulting frustration might spoil the trip (including my older daughter who's a seasoned traveler and who had difficulty there).

However, I recently had such a pleasant experience meeting a Fodorite in Edinburgh that I could envision making a go of the trip if I knew there was someone there I could rely on if needed...

Anyone willing to show me the ropes (read: have dinner and give me tips on navigating, be available by phone if I encountered unforeseen problems)? I would not impose but would feel more secure knowing there was a safety net.

Also, my confidence is up b/c I had such a successful solo trip to Edinburgh. Thoughts on whether Paris is not a good destination for a woman traveling alone?
Old May 28th, 2005, 04:56 AM

There are thousands of tourists who visit Paris every year who don't speak French, and they manage.

I understand that if you haven't ever traveled to a foreign country where English wasn't the native language, and aren't used to traveling in general, it may seem a little frustrating and challenging. I can tell you that if you make your trip simple and don't plan on doing complicated things, languge will not be an issue. For example, if you only stay in Paris, go from the airport to your hotel (in a central area) by taxi or airport shuttle van, and then visit the main tourist sites in the center of Paris -- you should have no problems that will spoil your trip because the people you encounter will speak enough English that you can communicate. Also, be sure you have a decent hotel reservation, do not intend to just wing it when you arrive.

There are a few people on Fodors who live in Paris, but I think your request is expecting a little much. There are professional tour guides who will do what you want for a fee, of course, although that can be difficult to arrange, also.

Paris is not a dangerous place nor are there unusual customs towards women (and there are certainly some places in the world where those would hold and I would not recommend a single female travel, such as in the Middle East) -- so it is no more difficult for a single female than a single male.

I admit when I first went to Paris alone I did have some problems as I didn't speak French at that time. However, I was doing things that required some communication (arriving by train from a foreign country, needing to make phone calls, etc.) and I did not have a hotel reservation and did not have any local currency with me as I came from England, and I was not aware that they had changed the entire French phone system since my guidebook was published so none of the phone numbers worked and I couldn't understand the recorded messages telling me that in French, and it was difficult to get change for the phone at the Gare du Nord. That is why I would not recommend you do that--be sure to have a hotel reservation.

IF you are worried about this (and I can see you are), there is the simple option of booking one of those simple package tours that consist mainly of hotel accommodations, a beginning day overview city tour, and having a "host" available at your hotel a few hours a day to help you with questions or planning. These are more than just the hotel/air packages you find, but not a full tour package. That sounds like what you could use and I think is a reasonable option for you. It will cost more than if you made your own arrangements, usually, that's the drawback. Also, you might meet someone else in the group who wants to do things with you.

Old May 28th, 2005, 05:01 AM

Hi sallyjane3,

If you have two weeks, you can get what you want from the Untours program(www.untours.com). You rent an apartment for two weeks, and you're met at the airport by a representative and taken to your apartment. That representative will tell you all about your neighborhood and the city -- activities, restaurants, shops, etc. I think you're also introduced to others who are renting at the same time period that you are, so your safety net is not only the rep but also some other travellers from the US/Canada.

Check it out --

s
Old May 28th, 2005, 05:04 AM

Hi Sallyjane,

I go to Paris often. I will be there three times this year. (July, Sept and December) I would enjoy helping you navigate and learn the city and you need not speak any French although I do. If I can help feel free to e-mail me.

Go to Paris and have fun. There is no reason for you to be afraid.

Larry J
Old May 28th, 2005, 05:38 AM

In 2003, the only "trouble" we had with not knowing French in Paris was when we went to an Internet cafe to burn a CD of photos from our digital cameras, and the computers themselves were in French, and we couldn't figure out how to do it ourselves. We ended up running into an IT professional for Morgan Stanley from New York who helped us.

My husband has travelled to Europe several times since the early 1980s. This last time (in 2003) he was really surprised at just how much more prevalent English was among the French people, who were amazingly kind.

Personally, I only speak Portuguese and English since I'm Brazilian American. I found that just learning the "polite words" like "Bonjour" and "Merci" and a few others that people were quite willing to switch to English and help me out. Knowing Portuguese also helps me with the other Latin languages, so sometimes I can at least pick out a few words and understand the gist -- but French is most difficult of the Romance languages for me to understand and be understood.

We're going back in the fall, and are trying to learn a little more French this time, but my accent is so horrendous I suspect that people will switch to English before I get a chance to say too much more...it doesn't take long for the French to figure out their English is better than my French, and for the Italians to figure out their English is better than my Italian, etc.

I compared it later to my experience with New Yorkers after I went to NYC for the first time last summer -- Both the French and New Yorkers are far more friendly than their reputation would indicate -- strangers in Manhattan offered to help me find things when I appeared lost, and the French have done that for us too.

Discard whatever preconceived notions you have about travelling over there and like the other people have said "Go anyway".

Jules
Old May 28th, 2005, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

You are the kind of people Blanche DuBois always relied upon. Thank you for your encouragement and advice. I will be looking at my schedule, making plans, and may take you up on your offer for September, Larry, if i can juggle everything just right! Enjoy July.

Jules, my "moi" and "oui" would come out with a Southern accent so I might have even less trouble than you! BTW, you can't say you speak only two languages: Most of us Americans speak ONE. I took Spanish, two years in high school and two quarters in college. So, I can READ a little.

I have had the same experience in NY as you. The most touching thing is that when I have been alone and the stranger who offered help was male, each one has stood back about 6 or 7 feet, as if to indicate "I'm not going to harm you. I just want to help."

I love that some of us don't mind...actually, enjoy...reaching out to others.

Old May 28th, 2005, 08:02 AM

Sallyjane3: Consider taking a beginning or conversational French class at your local college or night school. Or look around for a private teacher. Over the years I have taken many of these courses and my French is not great but each time before I go to France I take a class just to be "refreshed" and to help me remember the pronunciations and grammer.

Paris is a wonderful city and at most of the tourist locations and large shops people speak English. Take a good small dictionary - Berlitz is good. Write down the name, address and phone number of your hotel on a piece of paper and keep it with you in case you need to tell someone (taxi driver).

The first time I went to Paris in 1991 I was alone and thought the Parisians very unfriendly. I left the city a day early & went to Roeun where the French people were much more friendly. I returned to Paris in 1997 and have been back again in 2002 and found that the Parisians are now much more friendly.

Keep checking back here for more advice on sightseeing, hotels, restaurants. Everyone on this board is very helpful.

Enjoy!
Old May 28th, 2005, 08:03 AM

As an alternative to the Untour type of all-inclusive package, you might want to consider simply hiring a guide for your first day to meet you at the airport, get you to your hotel and teach you the ropes from there. I really don't think even this is necessary, but it might increase your confidence level.

As far as the language issue is concerned, don't worry. I speak competent French, but about half the time my question will be answered in English anyway. You can always find someone to interpret if you ask politely.

A phrase book isn't a bad idea: often you can just point to the French question and your counterpart can point to the English answer.

Ground rules:
Always say <i>bonjour/bonsoir, monsieur/madame,mademoiselle</i> before you begin an exchange, and <i>merci, au revoir</i> when you end one.