Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any feed back about the Moulin rouge show?

Old May 20th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its going to be my first time in Paris. Im traveling alone and I would love to know if the show of Moulin Rouge is so amazing like everyone says??

please give me some advivces!!
Old May 20th, 2011, 03:12 PM

We had put off going for years as so many people have said that they do not like it. However, I was with my two daughters last time and they were very keen to see the show, so off we went and I really enjoyed it. Lots of dancing and lovely legs of course, with a specialty act as well. I wouldn't have dinner, and make sure you get there early to have a better chance to sit towards the front. Some might say that it is a bit cheesey but it is still a big part of what makes Paris, Paris.
Old May 20th, 2011, 04:25 PM

I don;t know that everyone says it's amazing. I believe the general thinking is that it's tourist trap - esp with dinner - and very old fashioned into the bargain. I don;t think it has anything to do with what makes Paris Paris - IMHO the museums, the churches, the wonderful neighborhoods, the cafes - and if you want entertainment Paris has tons of interesting clubs of all types and is a fabulous movie town.
Old May 20th, 2011, 04:34 PM

I went with friends on my very first trip to Europe while still in college. It was OK. I have seen many better. And I don't agree it is what makes Paris, Paris. We've been back 7 times and never even thought about going.
Old May 20th, 2011, 04:37 PM

The Moulin Rouge to me is a part of Paris, you only have to see the show one time. Enjoy
Old May 20th, 2011, 04:41 PM

You get better entertainment by taking a walk and then having a coffee or glass of wine in a cafe - better entertainment and a lot cheaper. But plenty do go, so if you must, go once just so you can say you did.
Old May 20th, 2011, 07:39 PM

for the price and going alone, i would give it a pass and get yourself a special meal at a nice restaurant one night with a nice bottle of wine...
Old May 20th, 2011, 07:48 PM

Moulin Rouge is a great show if you want to see dancing, variety acts (it's a talking dog!) and just be visually assaulted. Agree the dinner is not necessary, but not having dinner will mean you won't sit close to the front if you go for the early (9pm) show, rather up in the seats in the middle or back platforms. The late show will have a chance for you to sit closer, but as said above, arrive early and wait in line. It's usually a full house every night, with many nights having two shows (9 pm and 11pm).

It's a great show if you're going with no massive expectations of a Parisien epiphany. If you want something a little more Parisien, then there are other cabarets such as Paradis Latin which is almost entirely in French, still with variety acts and dancing, but different feel to Moulin. Moulin has one of the best can cans in terms of presentation and getting the crowd going. My advice, if you've always wanted to go, then go. You will love it because YOU wanted to see it!
Old May 21st, 2011, 08:55 AM
ira

Hi L,

If you don't go, you won't spend the rest of your life regretting it.

If you do go, you won't spend the rest of your life talking about it.

How about an evening cruise on www.batobus.com?

Old May 21st, 2011, 12:22 PM

I have to be a wet blanket but the can can is from the 80s - the 1880s. And vaudeville has been dead since the 1920s - except for these few shows in Paris.

Cannot imagine that anyone thinks this has anything to do with the current city.
Old May 21st, 2011, 03:36 PM

I think it is an overpriced tourist trap and a fire hazard. People are packed in there like sardines.If money and time are not an object then go, so you can say you did.
Old May 21st, 2011, 04:43 PM

Agree with Suzanne2. We were packed in so tightly for the dinner show, my back went into spasms because I had to twist to see the performers. If you can make sure you have a seat facing the stage, then that's one more thing you can cross off your "bucket list" - and never have to go again.