Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any Experiences with Priceline Vacations - hotel & airfare combined?

Jan 3rd, 2005, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

In checking Priceline for hotels, I noticed they offer the option of choosing a airfare/hotel package. You get to choose your hotel, and you can choose your airfare for a higher rate - or go with the basic option. With the basic you find out the airline after you pay for the package. You can also purchase insurance.

This seems to be a better option than I can find for separate airfare and hotel, so I was wondering if anyone has booked a package with them - and if so, were you satisfied?
Jan 4th, 2005, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

topping this in hopes someone has some info and may have missed the post. Thanks.
Jan 4th, 2005, 03:21 PM

We did this in October. My daughter and I went to London for a week, choosing the Millennium Bailey's Hotel, and were very satisfied. I couldn't beat the price when I tried separating the hotel and airfare.
Jan 4th, 2005, 03:32 PM

I also just booked a combo Priceline vacation for this February. The price was OUTSTANDING.
Jan 4th, 2005, 04:25 PM

Proceed with caution when buying air+hotel packages from Priceline or other similar Web sites. Ask yourself:

1. Have I checked prices at small, local hotels? Tip: use this forum, some guidebooks, and a fax machine.

2. Have I checked airfares through several different channels? Tip: check individual airline Web sites as well as general sites.

3. Have I accounted for the fact that package prices are quoted per person, whereas normal hotel prices are quoted per room?

4. Am I comfortable with travel arrangements that are pre-paid, non-changeable, and non-refundable? Tip: Priceline says, "Priceline Vacations are pre-paid and cannot be changed, cancelled, refunded or transferred once your package is purchased" and, "Travel Insurance does not protect you in the event of unforeseen business or personal obligations, changes in your travel plans ... or dissatisfaction with your itinerary."

Paul Marcelin-Sampson
Santa Cruz, California, USA
Jan 4th, 2005, 04:40 PM

Not me, and not Europe, but a close friend was thrilled with her Priceline package to Maui.
Jan 4th, 2005, 05:10 PM

Paul has good advise.

After shopping like the dickens (and booking hotel and airfare separately for May), I found a magnificent Priceline deal for London for last September. I also chose Millennium Bailey's and was thrilled with the hotel. I did opt for the trip insurance (do print the details and review them) because we are over 50 and it was competitively priced.

Once booked, I phoned the airline for seat assignments, then e-mailed Bailey's with a few questions and requests, whereupon I received a lovely prompt response from the General Manager. To my surprise, when we arrived (very early) at Heathrow for the return flight, we were "upgraded" to exit row seats.

I've also purchased Priceline packages for US cities and have always been pleased (though I always shop first).
Jan 5th, 2005, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks to all who responded - this was just what I needed!
Jan 5th, 2005, 07:10 PM

I've had my eye on a London package thru Priceline - I haven't been able to find a better price anywhere else.

Jan 5th, 2005, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

LOL - Kay95 - I've had my eye on the same thing. I have been researching diligently for about 2-3 months now and haven't found anything that can beat it. I just can't come out nearly as well booking airfare and hotel separately for 2 people.

AAVacations was looking good at one time, but I wasn't able to firm up my dates at that time - and now their prices are much higher.

I just wanted a little reassurance that I wasn't making a BIG MISTAKE.