Any European country with a 6month travel visa

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2014, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all so I was wondering if any body knew about a country in europe where I could stay as a tourist for 6 months. I know that the UK allows tourists to remain inside for 6 months within a 12month period. Can anybody recomend a european country with this type of travel visa?
Old May 6th, 2014, 06:09 AM

The UK is Europe.

In most European countries you can only stay for 90 days out of 180 days. These are the countries that are part of the Schengen agreement.
Old May 6th, 2014, 06:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I assume you mean continental countries since the UK is part of Europe.

Here is a map of the Schengen countries, where as you know, you may only stay 90 out of every 180 days. Do you see any countries outside the zone in which you would like to spend six months? If so, it is a simple matter to obtain visa/length of stay regulations.

ww.axa-schengen.com/en/schengen-countries
Old May 6th, 2014, 06:13 AM

Somehow the first "w" dropped!

http://www.axa-schengen.com/en/schengen-countries
Old May 6th, 2014, 06:35 AM

You can get one for Serbia.
Old May 6th, 2014, 06:41 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
And don't get any funny ideas about Andorra, Monaco, San Marino or Liechtenstein -- they apply the same rules as the Schengen countries.
Old May 6th, 2014, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Kerouac yes, that's my problem, most European countries seem to have a 90day limit even if they don't belong to Schengan. I have checked many of the non-Schengan countries, but if anybody has the name of a country where I could stay for 6 months I'd really appreciate it!
Old May 6th, 2014, 07:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you mean a country within the Schengen zone you would need a long stay visa, not a tourist visa. You would have to check the embassy websites for each Schengen country for your country (e.g. the French embassy in Washington DC) to see the requirements for a long stay visa.
Old May 6th, 2014, 07:14 AM

<i>but if anybody has the name of a country where I could stay for 6 months I'd really appreciate it</i>

I can do better than that -- I have four for you:
England
Scotland
Wales
Northern Ireland
Old May 6th, 2014, 07:15 AM

I don't know of any as a tourist. If you are an American, 90 days is all you are going to get, though NZ citizens can stay 3 months EACH in many Schengen countries, as they concluded bilateral agreement with them prior to the introduction of Schengen rules. To stay longer in one country, you have to apply for a long-stay type D visa prior to leaving US, which isn't routinely given and you must have a very good reason (other than tourism) why you need to stay longer, plus meeting financial, accommodation and health insurance requirements.
Student visa can give you a year or more, provided you are enrolled on a course and can pay the fees and living costs.
Old May 6th, 2014, 07:16 AM

Interesting about NZ, which is why it's important to know what passport OP holds.
Old May 6th, 2014, 07:26 AM

I think this is the list of non-Schengen European countries: Albania, Belarus, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, Macedonia, Moldova, parts of Russia, Ukraine, Monte Negro, and Serbia. Also of course the UK and Ireland. Romania and Bulgaria are slated to join Schengen, but are not now members.

So -- do you any countries there where you would like to live for six months?
Old May 6th, 2014, 07:31 AM

IIRC, Croatia now follows Schengen rules.
Old May 6th, 2014, 07:33 AM

Yes, I just wanted to help narrow her research.
Old May 6th, 2014, 07:40 AM

Just checked something else. While Croatia adheres to the Schengen rules in that it limits stays to 90 out of 180 days, it is not a member of Schengen so your time there would not count as time in Schengen. In other words, you could stay 90 days in Croatia, then cross the border and stay 90 days in Italy, without running afoul of Schengen.
Old May 6th, 2014, 08:42 AM

Hmmm... As an American, I know some handful of people who have applied for longer stay visas in Europe (largely France) and had no issues. Of course, they did not come to work. But sure, they did have to prove they were in good health, had adequate funds and insurance.

I haven't yet tackled this as a have a temporary residence card for Hungary. But I didn't see any reason to believe this would be terribly hard as long as I met the criteria.

That said, if you don't need to work, why not travel around and not stay in one country or region?
Old May 6th, 2014, 08:49 AM

<i>That said, if you don't need to work, why not travel around and not stay in one country or region?</i>

I was kinda wondering the same thing.
Old May 6th, 2014, 09:03 AM

You were originally going to stay in each country for three months. Why did you decide to change your itinerary to six months in each country?
Old May 6th, 2014, 09:21 AM

"Also of course the UK and Ireland. Romania and Bulgaria are slated to join Schengen,"

Oh no we bloody well aren't.

The Romanians and Bulgarians might be doomed to join Schengen. But we (neither of my split nationalities) are having no truck with this xenophobic absurdity. And the only possible change to that in the forseeable future is the distinct likelihood we'll get out of the EU as well.

None of you would let a bunch of foreigners decide who visits your country. Why on earth do you imagine we'd be any different?
Old May 6th, 2014, 09:23 AM

flanneruk - you aren't what? I don't understand what you are objecting to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -