Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Any coffehouses that are organic - without rip-offs in Amsterdam?

Oct 6th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Hi: It's my first time to Amsterdam and I've been checking out many sites for info about the coffeehouses. Seems like confusing infor from each,- one site says go here and it's reliable then another site sez don't go there- a rip off. Anyone with first-hand experiece to share about where to go and the in's and out's of what to look for? Thanks
Oct 6th, 2007, 12:51 PM

If you say you are looking for a coffeeshop you will get more response - a coffe house sells coffee, a coffee shop sells what you are looking for.
I have absolutely no further knowledge on the subjuect, except that most seem to sell Nederwiet, which is home grown Dutch stuff, which apparently is strong. There are others on the board who can help you.
Oct 6th, 2007, 05:44 PM
P_M

topping for virgi. Here's the answer to your question so you don't have to post it again.
Oct 6th, 2007, 11:00 PM

You want it to be organic? Now that IS fussy

Probably not going to find any as most (and probbly all serious commercial stuff) is grown hydroponically these days.
Oct 6th, 2007, 11:07 PM

Siberie,nuff said.
Oct 7th, 2007, 03:39 AM

There's no such thing as organic dope. It's all grown hydrponically in greenhouses.

As to which coffeeshop, this is a bit like asking "whats the best pub" as it depends on what you're looking for - some have music, some don't. Some sell food, well they all sell food for obvious reasons, but some sell better food than othyers and so on.

So as to what's "best" have a look in -if the people in the coffeeshop look like the sort of people you'd be happy to spend time with, then you've probably found what you're looking for.

One word of caution: some of the dutch stuff is mind bogglingly strong - so take care.
Oct 7th, 2007, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Hi All:
Thanks for the responses. I found my answers on the ricksteves.com site. Appriciate the comments though.
Oct 7th, 2007, 08:39 AM
ira

You want to ingest carcinogens and hallucinogens and you worry about whther it's organic?

Oct 7th, 2007, 09:43 AM

Rick Steves makes a point of knowing and telling about this subject. I believe his information would be correct.
Oct 7th, 2007, 09:52 AM

...It's all grown hydroponically in greenhouses...

That's not true, unless you mean Holland, or Europe. And doesn't "organic" refer to the use of pesticides as opposed to growing methods?

Some dopey American guy was busted watering his crop situated on the side of the interstate.

The 420 Cafe has the best music.

I really don't know anything about this topic.
Oct 7th, 2007, 10:01 AM

That's not true, unless you mean Holland, or Europe.>>>>

And the OP is asking about?......