Any advice about EF?

Search

Any advice about EF?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23rd, 2013, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any advice about EF?

Hi every one.Im going on a trip next summer as a graduation present thanks to my mom who works really hard.i wanted some advice of what to expect from EF tours.http://m.eftours.com/tours/ireland
Old Nov 23rd, 2013, 03:29 PM

When I was teaching, I used EF once for a student tour. I choose another company after that which cost about 10% more, but had better food and better hotels. My experience was not recent, so keep that in mind, but my advice is:

Cancel this trip if you can get your money back because - with decent planning, you and your Mom could probably both go to Ireland for nearly the same cost if you look carefully for good deals.

For just one place to get an idea of what you could do with some basic travel packages, join Travelzoo and look at vacation packages in Europe, Most, though not all, are earlier in the year, so more expensive, but start there.

The kids I took to Italy with EF were younger than you and could not travel on their own, so going with me was pretty much their only option. As a teacher, I would not take kids on my own - too much liability.

You, however, will be graduating. Why not find a friend or two (or your Mom) and go on your own? See what you want, at your own pace!

If you post the exact itinerary and cost with dates, people here could give even more precise advice about what else would be possible. If you have already paid and can not cancel, people here can give you good advice on how to get the most from the trip.

The good thing is the great sights are the same, no matter if you are on a low budget tour or a luxury tour. You just have to make sure you get to see them, which means you may have to skip some things your tour is offering and head out on your own for a day.
Old Nov 23rd, 2013, 05:13 PM

Hi Liz
I noticed your other post about EF. If you are travelling with a group of friends for graduation I would urge you to consider staying with the EF group. It is your friends that will make the trip memorable. If, as Sassafrass suggests, you are an "add-on" to an established group, you might consider Sassafrass' suggestions. A great deal depends on your comfort level while travelling. A group tour will have a tour director who looks after any upsets you might encounter. Without that person, you have to solve problems yourself. It's up to you how you approach that.

Is EF reputable? Generally I would say yes, but you must take responsibility to be aware of what is included in that long contract you sign. You need to be aware that you can't get refunds for things you choose not to do, you agree to responsibilities and they outline their responsibilities.

You can have a great time travelling. But remember, it won't be like home.

tC
Old Nov 23rd, 2013, 07:30 PM

So I agree with Sassafrass but I traveled with EF many years (15) ago while I was a 15 year old. I remember that the food wasn't that great but our hotels were located in the city center of both Seville, Spain and Lisbon. In Madrid, it was not in a bad location but not as good as in the other two cities. On my trip we didn't have any trouble with airlines. For me though, if it wasn't for EF tours I would have never made it to Europe. Europe was not for my parents (had they showed me the states, yes, but not the rest of the world). A few years later my sister went on a Spain and France trip with them. Since then we have both traveled a lot but if it wasn't for EF, who knows if our confidence abroad would be what it is now. I would never take my child on one of those trips but if 15 years in the future he wanted to go on the school trip with this company I would let him as half the experience was getting away from the parents and being with other people your own age. So if you are an add on with this group and can spend the $$ to do things on your own, that would be preferable but as a 15 year old, this was the most incredible, memorable experience. Now as a 30 year old, no this group is not what I would want to do, but you are not 30 and if this group is getting you to Ireland, look into the incredible experience you are going to have not the "scary" experience the 30+ people are going to talk about. While I love planning our own trips, when you are younger this may be the only chance you get to Europe and just enjoy! You will have a great time.
Old Nov 24th, 2013, 01:55 PM

The kids I took with EF did have a great time, partly, I think, because they were well informed before going about what they would see. Also, during their free time, I took them to interesting places not on the tour. A couple of evenings, I even took them to some teen dance clubs so they could meet local teens, and waited for them in a area for adults and parents until the wee hours of the morning.

I mentioned doing it yourself because you are old enough and you mentioned how hard your Mom works for the money. So, unless you have a good friends also going, I still think you would get more for your money doing it yourself or taking a different tour.

For the tour, at least read all you can and perhaps find another friend to join you for going out on your own.

Either way, you will have a great time.
Old Nov 24th, 2013, 03:35 PM

I was part of an EF tour six years ago to France, 1 of 2 chaperones. All the young people complained about the food .... Not that it was different but it was poorly prepared. I agreed with their assessment. Also. They frequently were hungry because of small portions.

I think you would have more fun with mom or a friend.

Congrats on your graduation and happy travels.