Reload this Page >

Antwerp - on Sunday?

Search

Antwerp - on Sunday?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 06:59 PM
isabel

Antwerp - on Sunday?

Can anyone advise if Antwerp is worth visiting on a Sunday? I was planning to be there on a Sunday but heard that many places are closed. Is this true? Thanks!!

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 11:13 PM
Myriam

All the shops (except for a few tourist shops) are closed on Sunday. Museums, churches and other places to visit are all open. Restaurants and caf&eacute;s are open as well. The historical centre around Grote Markt is pretty lively on Sunday.<BR>

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 11:58 PM
ww

Sunday is a perfect day, unless you are going only to shop.<BR>Myriam: how about the open air market (Vogelenmarkt) close to the Rubens House on Sunday morning. Is it still fun?

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 01:17 AM
Martine

Sorry ww, I know this was a question for Myriam, but I can also answer you.<BR>Yes, the Vogelenmarkt has not changed.<BR><BR>Isabel, if I were you, I would visit the city another day. And if you want a market in the open air, there is also one on Saturday.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 03:06 AM
Myriam

The Vogelenmarkt is still there and I liked it a lot some 20 years ago. Not as it is now. I much more prefer the &quot;allochtonenmarkt&quot; on Saturday (smaller, more intimate, lots of colors and tastes). <BR><BR>Isabel, I second Martine's suggestion to visit Antwerp on another day if you want to get a real feel of the city.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 04:56 AM
Joyce

Go another day. I had planned to visit Antwerp on a weekday, but due to an unexpected train strike I ended up visiting there on a Sunday. All the stores were closed, and the downtown was almost deserted.

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 08:16 PM
isabel

Thanks for all your comments. They really gives me a better idea!! I will try to visit on Saturday. Any suggestions of an interesting places to visit for Sunday in that area? I will have been to Brugge, Ghent and Brussels and am heading north to Rotterdam and Amsterdam further in my itinerary?

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 11:36 PM
Myriam

Isabel,<BR>Wherever you will be on a Sunday, it will all be closed, except for the Belgian seaside resorts. Perhaps Oostende might be an option, or the lovely Knokke-Heist. <BR>If you want to stay around Antwerp you could explore the beautiful nature and make a long walk. <BR>