Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Antwerp, Bruges, Ghent Which would you choose?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2005, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be visiting my daughter and husband in the spring and I'd like to visit one of these cities. I'm not sure if I will have the time to go to more than one.

Which would YOU choose and why?
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 06:09 PM

I have only been through Antwerp on the train many times but I have spent time in Bruges and Ghent. If I could only do one it would without a doubt be Bruges. You don't say what city you will be visiting with your daughter but from Bruges you can get to Ghent in less than 30 minutes by train so maybe you could do both. Bruges was a major trading port in middle ages but then the river silted up preventing the ocean going vessels from being able to make the 7 mile trip down river from the North Sea resulting in Bruges becoming nearly dormant for hundreds of years. This worked in it's favor as the ancient buildings and architecture remained unchanged. What you have today is a nearly perfectly preserved middle age city with lots of charm. Ghent is very nice also and is worth at least a few hours if you can work it in. Enjoy Belgium as it is to a very great extent an overlooked gem of a tourist destination.

Larry J

Larry J
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

My daughter is in Brunssom, the Netherlands and we will be spending close to a week in the area around Amsterdam seeing the sights before heading to her home. I'll have six days after Amsterdam, but she is going to want show me around Brunssom and hopefully Mastricht as that isn't all that far.
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 07:18 PM

Bruges is such a small,historic jewel...walkable. Not sure it even is in the same category as Antwerp or Ghent. Having read up on those places, and others, in Belgium to visit when we were last there, a few years ago, it was a no-brainer. But then - how much "city" does any trip need? I'm cursing myself that I can't find my journal from that trip, but we simply did a Bruge B&B search that landed us such a pleasant lodging - a completely separate guesthouse, a few steps away from the owner's dwelling. He came over to make a fresh-cooked breakfast. For a small...do-able...walk-able Belgium experience, I'd definitely vote for Brugges!
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 07:59 PM

It realy depends on what kind of experience you are looking for.

I have stayed at Brugge for several days, Antwerp several times, and several day trips to Ghent. They are connected with frequent and short distance trains.

As mentioned by previous posts, Brugge is a beautiful well-kept medieval town with several good museums, almost like a jewel box, but completely for tourism.

Ghent is far less visited by tourists, but with a very interesting old town centre mixed with some modern areas.

Antwerp is a vibrant,busy city/port/ newest fashion design centre, with magnificent medieval squares/ buildings, many fine museums/churches, plus some interesting post-modern architecture.
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 10:11 PM

Both the Netherlands and Belgium have a lot to offer once you depart Amsterdam.

I think that Brugge is the best of the trio you mentioned but, as noted by other respondents, Ghent has some interesting (altough fewer) attractions. However, if you are plannig to visit Belgium, you might want to consider spending a day in Brussels, as it is a wonderful place for good food and fun.

We provide destination guides to Belgium and the Netherlands on our web site at http://www.thereareplaces.com/Guideb...t/destgid2.htm. The Belgium sections includes subsections on the Best Places to visit in Brugge and Ghent while the Netherland's guide contains information on the Best Places to Visit in Amsterdam, Haarlem and several other great destinations.

The Benelux have many interesting destinations but whether they are right for you depends on your travel tastes. I recommend that you read a good quality travel guide (Fodor's are always good) that reflects your travel tastes and use it to narrow the choice most meaningful to you.

Finally, you did not mention whether you will be driving or taking the train. If you still have the option, consider the train as it is a great way to see the Benelux countries.

ekim
www.ThereArePlaces.com
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 06:42 AM
ira

One more vote for Brugge.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 06:56 AM

How much time will you have?

I've not been to Bruges or Ghent, but since the three are pretty close, you can easily visit at least two of the three even with limited time. Ghent is about 20-30 minutes from Bruges, and from Ghent you can connect to Antwerp or to Brussels.

In fact, I'm thinking of going to all three in a day in two weeks, but I'm only going to see the art museums, so I've a very specific itinerary in mind (I've been to Antwerp, but very briefly).
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

It's looking like Bruges is a shoe in!

I realize that these three cities are not all that far from each other, but I like to take my time and enjoy a place, so I don't think I'll try to see all of them. Although if things go better than I am guessing time wise, that might become an option. I love museums, but I really don't want to spend too much time indoors on this trip. I hope to go to the area again before my daughters stint in the Netherlands is over in two years.

Thanks all!
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 07:13 AM

Well, if you like shopping, Antwerp has become a mecca ever since the Antwerp Six took the world by storm. Thought I'd mention it.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

What is the Antwerp six? They must not have made it to my corner of the world!
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 07:42 AM

@ rapunzll:
The Antwerp Six are 6 designers who, took part in a designer show in London where they were the revelation of the show. From then onwards they were called the Antwerp Six. Maybe you have heard of Dries Van Noten, Dirk Bikkembergs, or Walter Van Beirendonck who designed the outfit for U2 during their world tour of 1997! Needless to say we're very proud of our designers.

3 cities in one day ... please don't do that yourself. Each city deserves at least one full day, even if you don't visit any museums at all.

Furthermore I fully agree with how JudiC thinks about the three cities in our small country.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 07:45 AM

Check this link (among others):

http://www.fodors.com/miniguides/mgr...;feature=30003

There're some regulars here who sing the praises of Dries van Noten.

Actually I don't think that I know what the other designers' clothes look like, except for Anne Demeulemeester's.

I hear Martin Margiela has a boutique in Paris, but I've never really checked it out (he's not part of the original Antwerp Six, according to the Fodors article).
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the explanation!
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 10:20 AM

@ 111op:
Dirk Bikkembergs is well known here for his shoe collections. Here's a picture of his famous 'sneakers with socks'. http://www.fashionscene.nl/media/9/11/bikkem%20gymp.jpg
Margiela does indeed not belong to the original Six.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 10:29 AM

Interesting.

Personally I try to wear Bally leather shoes. I like them a lot. And they're much cheaper in Europe.

Maybe if I've time this time I'll see if I can shop for some hipster wear in Belgium.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 11:32 AM

Bruges - walkable, historic, some lovely art
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 02:37 PM

Another reason to go to Bruges is to see the Relic of the Holy Blood. In the small basilica on the "Burg" square in the center of town they have a mass every Friday morning where the Relic of the Holy Blood is displayed and anyone who wants to can walk up the small platform at the end of the mass and see,touch or kiss the tube. The Relic of the Holy Blood is a blood soaked cloth used to blot the wounds of Jesus after the crucifixion. It is sealed in an airtight crystal tube. It was brought back from the crusades and has been in Bruges for hundreds of years. For more details on the Holy Blood just do a Google search of "Relic of the Holy Blood". I was very moved by the experience and truly believe that I have touched the vessel containing the blood of Jesus Christ.

Larry J
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 06:55 PM

Suggest that you watch Rick Steves' Europe; "Belgium; Bruges and Brussels" for ideas. It's currently being shown on local PBS stations, normally on Saturdays.

Old Feb 9th, 2005, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for that tip. I'll make sure to look for it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -