Antiques

Jul 7th, 2002, 01:06 PM
Allan

Antiques

I am leaving for Europe at the end of August to scout out places to buy antiques/vintage home furnishings. Does anyone have any suggestions for good places {stores, markets, etc} that are reasonably priced for items like glassware, ceramics, furniture and the like?

Jul 7th, 2002, 01:37 PM
dealer

All I can advise is to realize that the shipment from Europe can be very high. So unless you find an absolute treasure at a good cost, you might find that the shipping costs will shock you.

Jul 7th, 2002, 02:04 PM
Mike

Years ago I knew some people in the Midwest who ran a nice antique store in a smallish town. They would go on a buying spree usually twice per year for about one-month periods. They would go to Scotland and the North of England and attend estate liquidations and other large auctions. Once or twice, I remember, they went to Germany -- but almost always to the UK. They bought enough to fill a shipping cargo container and have it shipped to Chicago , where they off-loaded to a semi-truck for the 2-hour road journey to their store. They also ran a popular British pub in this university town and between the two businesses did, seemingly, quite well for the years I knew them. They were getting older, and at times expressed that the travel was getting to be too much. Loving travel as I did - and do- I dreamed of becoming their buyer and making those arduous trips. But other thing happened, like the end of college, and my life took other turns. The memories are still here though, 30+ years on.

Jul 7th, 2002, 05:07 PM
Dick Yeager

Allen,

Please remember, that to be classified as an "antique", it must be at least 100 years old.

As and "antique", you get some special rate on the import (I think it is nothing, but not sure). Otherwise, you will pay an import fee.

Check it out.

Dick

Jul 7th, 2002, 05:28 PM
whoa

Europe is a BIG place..just where are you planning on going?????????????

Jul 7th, 2002, 06:57 PM
Sherri Kardell

Dear allen;
I am not sure where you were thinking of going in Europe; but if you go to France be sure to check out Isle-sur-la Sourgue it's about 20 minutes outside of Avignon; it's heaven everything from 18th and 19th century baskets; to :trompe l'oiel asparagus plates; Provencal quilts; enamel cook ware; to vintage fabrics .I have a 5 page article on Isle-sur -la Sourge if yoy would like a copy email me.
Also in Paris check out the famous march'Saint- Ouen you can get more info.by logging on to www.antikita.com there are some 2;000 dealers; and 1 special market for the trade only; that might benifit you.
May I ask if you find a dealer you like for wall scones and chandielers that you email me;I would be most greatful.
Good luck
Sherri

Jul 7th, 2002, 07:16 PM
StCirq

Allan: As far as antiques go, Europe is a huge place. Where are you headed? I don't know about other countries, but the tourist offices in France offer lists of brocantes and antiquaires by region. Most brocantes and antiquaires fairs, where you can get the best bargains, are held in July and August.

Jul 7th, 2002, 07:26 PM
Sherri Kardell

Allen;
this is a post script to my previous message; there is a book called shopping the flea markets of France; that may be helpful to you.I am sorry I do not know who wrote it; but I think you will find it in the travel section of your local book store.
Good luck; Sherri

Search this Thread