Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has Anyone Experienced Staying in a Convent in Florence?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 10:00 AM
Sonja

I'm off to the the book Bed & Blessings as soon as my local library opens today to research this idea but in the meantime, does anyone have any firsthand experiences with staying in convents in Italy (I will not be going to Rome on this trip)?

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 10:57 AM
Betsy

Yes! My husband and I stayed at the following convent in Florence in October 2001:<BR><BR>Instituto Oblate dell'Assunzione (L65.000 per person)<BR>Borgo Pinti, 15 <BR>Firenze 50121<BR>Fax: 39 0155 234 629<BR><BR>Found it in Bed & Blessings. Wonderful location (near Vivoli and Santa Croce). Little English, but it's a French order, so you can communicate in French or Italian. Sent two or three faxes before they responded, so keep trying. We had the "penthouse suite" on the second (third) floor; there is a lift. Room had three small single beds, a dressing room, a huge bathroom, and a sun porch. Very basic. The sunporch overlooks the convent garden and you have a tiny view of the duomo. There was an air conditioning unit in the room, but they had evidently turned it off for the season. <BR><BR>They don't serve breakfast. If you turn right outside the convent, walk to the end of Borgo Pinti, cross the street, go through the passageway and turn left, you will find Patrizio Cosi, a fantastic coffee shop where they serve the BEST custard-filled warm cremini on the planet. You will stand elbow to elbow with Florentines on their way to work. Wish I were there right now. <BR><BR>

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 11:41 AM
Sonja

Thank you Betsy. I just went to a translation site (English to French) and sent a fax requesting 4 nights with them. We're going the week before Christmas. Can't wait.

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 06:47 PM
Betsy

Good luck with your reservation, Sonja. They book out early. Have a capuccino and cremino for me at Cosi and some gelato at Vivoli and...<BR><BR>Let us know here on the site if you are successful in getting a reservation.<BR><BR>Buon viaggio

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 07:27 PM
x

I stayed at the one in Florence. fantastic beauty and location.