Search

Another UK train question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2018, 12:45 PM
yk
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another UK train question

We (2 adults, 1 child age 5) are visiting the UK in July. The first leg of our trip is flying into Heathrow and travel directly to Dorset (Axminster station). Based on my research, the "best" way is to take Nat Express coach from Heathrow to Woking, then change for the SW train to Axminster. After a few days in Dorset, we will travel from Axminster to London (Waterloo).

While we can plan in advance which train we want to take for our return, we have no control of our outbound trip (Woking->Axminster) so if we buy advance discount tickets, we can only buy for the return leg.

Our hosts in Dorset suggests that we can buy a 1-month open off-peak return when we get to Woking for (Woking->Axminster->Woking). He thinks that would be the most economical option and allows us the flexibility to take any train. We will also need to buy our remaining Woking->London Waterloo tickets separately when we get there.

What do you think of this suggestion? I have tried looking on SW rail website as well as The Trainline, and I am getting rather confused of all the options. I think the Off-peak return between Woking/Axminster comes out to 128GBP total for the 3 of us. And that does not include the last leg from Woking to London. That seems a lot to me but if other options save us not much more this may be the best given the flexibility. Also i am unclear if we qualify for GroupSave? Thank you in advance!
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 01:55 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Don't worry about Woking to London - no need to buy those in advance - that is basically a local train and costs about £10 or £11 as a walk up fare.

I just looked up a RT Woking to Axminster in early July using a two travel together rail card and got a total fare of £53.50. But you would need to set specific train times. The rail card costs £30 so your total out of pocket would only be £83.50. If you can't pick specific train times and want total flexibility you have to pay more so your friends are probably right.
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 03:03 PM

Maybe book a few hours fudge factor time in Woking - have lunch, whatever to be sure to get those great discounted fares with Rail Card janis has ferreted out? Heathrow-Woking flat fee so just hop any bus. www.seat61.com also has great tips for British train travel and check first class too as it is also discounted and usually is considerably bigger more comfy seats to sleep in perhaps after all-night plane ride. Sometimes not much more than Standard Class, especially on weekends.

Book all your train trips now yourself online at National Rail Enquiries - Official source for UK train times and timetables.
Old Apr 20th, 2018, 05:15 AM
yk
Original Poster

Hi janis,

I hadn't thought about getting a rail card (it would be the family & friends railcard for 30GBP?). If we get a rail card, can we still use the discount on walk up fares?

I rechecked the train prices (for 2 adults 1child)

Woking->Axminster one-way any time fare (ie, walk-up fare)
£120.50 no rail card
£72.75 w/railcard

Axminster->London Waterloo advance ticket (set train time)
£34 no railcard

Woking<->Axminster open-return
£161.25 no railcard
£97.35 w/railcard

It seems to me it would make sense to buy a railcard and buy the Woking<-> Axminster open-return? £97.35 + £30 railcard is still less than the price with no railcard, and it would still give us the flexibility of travel. Did I get this right? Or is there other hidden "rules" on the railcard that I didn't see?

Also, with the railcard, we can use it for 2-for-1 discounts (daysoutguide), correct?
Old Apr 20th, 2018, 06:31 AM

I think your calculations are correct. You can book a journey as though you have the railcard in hand, as long as you have it when you collect the tickets. If you can, booking ahead will save you a lot -- so at east the Axminster to London or Woking pre-book. Download the form at home and then at the station turn it in, pay for the railcard and then collect your ticket(s)

>>Also, with the railcard, we can use it for 2-for-1 discounts (daysoutguide), correct?<<

Unfortunately, no. Railcards are merely sort of ID cards that get you discounts - not tickets that qualify for the 2for1's.
Old Apr 20th, 2018, 01:18 PM

and for 2 for 1 to be valid in London you have to have a return ticket out I think - so just buy a ticket from Waterloo station to the next place out and put a date on the return for when you will no longer need the 2 for 1. Janis can correct if not correct!
Old Apr 20th, 2018, 01:54 PM
yk
Original Poster

The take home message is, get the railcard for £30 because we will save more than what the railcard costs.

Here's the math I came up with. For 2 adults + 1 child (age 5) with a family and friends railcard

Option 1
Wait to buy until we arrive.
Woking <-> Axminster open off-peak return £97.35 +
Woking -> London anyday single £30
= £127.35

Option 2
Buy return ticket in advance
Woking -> Axminster any day single £72.75 +
Axminter -> London advance single £30
= £102.75

So option 2 saves us about £25 but we lose the flexibility of taking any return train from Axminster to London. Does this look right ? And janis, you are saying that I can buy advance tickets now even though I won't have a railcard until we arrive in the UK?

(I am currently leaning towards option 1 because the savings isn't huge and we aren't tied down with a specific train. )
Old Apr 20th, 2018, 05:11 PM

>>And janis, you are saying that I can buy advance tickets now even though I won't have a railcard until we arrive in the UK?<<

Yes -- you book as if you already have the railcard in hand. Then take the completed forms (and photos if that railcard requires them - some do some don't - the details will be on the downloaded form/instructions). Then at the station you turn in the forms and buy the railcard and and at the same time either buy your tix (walk up) or retrieve your tix (advance purchased)
Old Apr 21st, 2018, 11:12 AM

Have you checked what first class costs with rail card and off-peak - sometimes not much more than Standard Class and a lot more roomy and comfy for after an all-night flight. If not much more consider it.
Old Apr 21st, 2018, 01:02 PM

The Friends and Family Rail Card is not eligible on First Class tickets.
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 04:28 PM
yk
Original Poster

One last question/query ( I hope) - since I have to buy railcard when I arrive, I might as well wait until then to buy my Option 1 tickets? I don't see any need to buy anything in advance if I'm going to get the Off-peak open return ticket at walk-up price?