London then Yorkshire

Old Apr 15th, 2018, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London then Yorkshire

So this July my wife and I are considering flying to London for 9 days and 8 nights. But we wanted to stay 5 nights in London and 3 nights in Yorkshire. Can anyone tell us the place to stay (area and hotel) in Yorkshire and keep in mind we prefer not to drive since we are Americans. If the train rides are too long it may not be possible since our flight leaves out of London on Sunday at 9:00am. Or are we trying to do too much in too short of a stay?
Old Apr 15th, 2018, 03:51 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
First off: >>London for 9 days and 8 nights.<<. Eight nights does not get you nine days -- more like 7.5 days.

One certainly would not need/want a car for London and York - has nothing to do with being American. Now, for rural bits of Yorkshire you would need a car, but not for the city of York. If you want to explore the Dales or Moors you would want a car

You have 8 nights and absolutely need to be IN London Saturday night. Flying in and out of London complicates things slightly (In to Manchester and out of London would have been better. What time do you land and is it a LHR or some other London airport?

For discussion -- I'll assume sometime in the morning and Heathrow. OK -- you can cross London to Kings Cross station (by tube or a pre-booked car service), and take a 2.5 hour train ride to York. You need to book the train tix pretty far in advance - But you need to leave at least 4 hours between your flight arrival and train departure. So you'll be arriving in York probably in the late afternoon/early evening.

Then spend 3 nights in York (that gets you 2 days). Train back down to London for the rest of your time, fly home.
Old Apr 15th, 2018, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

We have not booked our plane tickets yet so we could always fly out of York but I doubt they have direct flights to Houston. Originally we were just going to stay in London the entire time and take day trip tour to Windsor, Bath, etc. It is just a buddy of mine that lives in Amsterdam said 8 nights in London was too long and that we should check out Yorkshire. If we took the hassle to travel to Yorkshire we would want to stay in the country (or a smaller town) as staying in York would somewhat defeat the purpose (I think but maybe I am wrong).
Old Apr 15th, 2018, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

Ok, so I just checked pricing and surprisingly it is cheaper to fly out of Leeds back to Houston (go figure since it layover is in London). But I am not sure if flying out of Leeds in going to be a hassle depending on where we stay in Yorkshire.
Old Apr 15th, 2018, 04:14 PM

>>we could always fly out of York<<

No -- there is no airport in York. Manchester is the closest major airport (there is an airport at Leeds but few transatlantic flight use it). Manchester has transatlantic flights and there is a train station in the airport where you can travel to York much easier than the hassle from LHR. You could look for open jaw in to Manchester and out of LHR or vice versa.

You could stay 8 months in London and not see it all, but you don't need to stay the entire time there. Since apparently you didn't have a real interest in Yorkshire you have COUNTLESS other options. Do you have any guide books? Get a few and see what else is possible. You could fly in/out of LHR, spend a night in Oxford (direct express coach from the airport), then pick up a rental car and spend a couple of nights in the Cotswolds (nothing BUT small villages and countryside), drive to LHR, drop the car and head in to London for the remainder. This is just one of hundreds of things you could do.

So first thing. - read some guidebooks.

(FYI - York is not a large city -- check it out on-line or in a guide book. It is a Medieval walled city. It sounds a bit like you are basically shooting in the dark and are only considering it because your German friend wants you to get out of London)
Old Apr 15th, 2018, 04:17 PM

We were posting at the same time -- IMO/IME IF Yorkshire stays in your plans - Consider flying in to MAN and not having to transfer through LHR.

But like I said - nothing you've posted so far looks like you have much knowledge re York/Yorkshire. It is a FABULOUS area -- but takes some planning and definitely a car for the rural bits.
Old Apr 15th, 2018, 11:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
In terms of sequence, fly into London, fly or take the train onto Leeds then after Yorkshire take the train back to London and spend the last of your holiday there and fly out.

Alternatively and probably easier, fly into Manchester, walk to the train, go straight into York, very easy.

If you don't want a car then you will have to use trains and buses. This Plan your journey | Traveline is perfect for getting around. It links up buses and trains.

If you like cities then Leeds. Bradford/Saltaire are very easy to visit.

Using the tool above York station to Fountains Abbey takes a mere 2 1/2 hours by public transport or 1 hour by car.
Old Apr 16th, 2018, 03:26 PM

Book trains as early as possible - at least long-distance ones at National Rail Enquiries - Official source for UK train times and timetables - www.seat61.com has heaps of advice on doing that yourself online - for British trains in general also BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com.

If looking for a smaller rail base than Leeds or York check out Harrogate (sp?) where I stayed once and took trains and buses to places like Fountains Abbey (well bus to Ripon then I walked but a cab would be best since then at least very few if any buses to the fountains but a lovely longish walk thru Studley Royal, a vast park; Haworth for Bronte Museum and the infamous Moors adjacent to town; Leeds and York. Harrogate is or was a spa town and still has a park-like setting with some mineral water or whatever they have establishments - a really nice smaller town but one with many restaurants, etc. Would highly recommend it if seeking a smaller city.
Old Apr 18th, 2018, 08:15 PM
Original Poster

So it looks like I have figured out how to manage all of this. We fly into London for our 5 nights stay. Then we take a train directly from Kings Cross station to Thirsk. Then its a 30 min cab ride to Swinton Park Castle hotel in Yorkshire. We fly out of Leeds and I guess we can either pay a driver to take us the hour to Leeds or take the train from Thirsk. Either way I didnt realize it only takes 2 hours to get to Thirsk/Yorkshire from London. Its amazing how having a country the size of Wisconsin that has public transport can make travel so easy. Growing up in the Southern United States we just are not used to public transportation due to the sheer distance between towns and cities. We are trying to decide between staying at Swinton Park in Yorkshire or the Old Swan and Minster Mill hotel in the Cotswolds near Oxford. Any suggestions or comments on these two areas would be greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 18th, 2018, 11:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Swinton Park is very nice, I used to work near it and the girls would go off for the odd expensive deal. Masham itself is an interesting half day especially with it having two breweries.
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 04:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
According to Rome2Rio a taxi from Thirsk to Swinton Park will cost 70-80 USD, and I don't understand what you are going to do when you get there without a car. I tought you wanted to visit York?
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 07:07 AM

Singapore Airlines IAH to MANchester several days a week!
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 09:40 AM

Swinton Park is just up the road from where I live. Lovely place but basically in the middle of nowhere. It has a new spa and restaurant- both great but I can’t imagine many stay there without their own transport. I haven’t had time to read through all the other comments (currently on holiday) but a hire car is pretty much essential in the Dales. Public transport is constantly being cut and there are no buses to my village in Lower Wensleydale.
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 10:09 AM

Haven't stayed at Swinton Park but do know the area (not as well as Morgana and Bilboburgler). I cannot fathom staying there without a car. It is maybe 2 miles outside of Masham . . . and Masham is only a village of about 1000 people. Unless you just sit in the hotel every day using the spa etc, and maybe take a few of walks there will be NOTHING to see/or do. I am still wondering why Yorkshire? Don't get me wrong - I LOVE the area and want to visit the Dales again soon. But you really don't seem to have any concept of what's there and what you want to do. Just that your friend recommend you 'go to Yorkshire'. DEFINITELY visit the Dales . . . but if you do you will DEFINITELY need to rent a car. Otherwise forget about it.
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 08:49 PM
Original Poster

Janisj you have told me multiple times I have no concept of what I am doing lol, I get it. I was simply trying to see the English country side and have a bit of contrast from the urban experience of London. Despite that, after seeing multiple people talk about how isolated Swinton Park is, it may not be the best option for us. I have read York is an interesting place to visit so that may be an option. I have struggled for the past week because I am having to decide between an England trip (5 nights in London and 3 nights somewhere outside of London) or a Germany trip (3 nights in Munich and 4 nights in Garmisch). But now I am contemplating just doing 4 nights in London, flying to Munich and staying for 1 night then spending 3 nights in Garmisch. That way I get the best of both worlds, though I fear I may be trying to do too much in too short of a time period and not enjoying ourselves. Btw I have been to London, Munich, and Garmisch before so I know my around those three destinations. Ugh, one really needs two weeks in Europe.
Old Apr 19th, 2018, 09:52 PM

>>I was simply trying to see the English country side and have a bit of contrast from the urban experience of London.<<

It is very easy to experience English countryside without going to an isolated place like Swinton Park. That is what I mean that you don't seem to have a clear concept of the various places. There are country towns ALL over the country where one can manage without a car. So -- perhaps consider some of the MANY alternatives. For instance you mentioned Thirsk. It has a train station, is a small town, has James Herriot connections, easy day trip to York by train. You could hire a driver for the day to visit Castle Howard.

OR -- you could go someplace like Moreton-in-Marsh in the Cotswolds and use local buses to get around the scenic bite. Plus train connections to Oxford and London.

OR -- You could head some where in Kens or East Sussex - - lots of places you can visit by train or local buses.

OR North Wales, OR East Anglia, OR lots of other places.

It isn't very rural Yorkshire or nothing.
Old Apr 20th, 2018, 04:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It isn't very rural Yorkshire or nothing.
Very true. I have been a reading a blog about a stay in Norwich, which is not on the main tourist trail. Plenty to do in town, and day trips by public transport.
Old Apr 20th, 2018, 06:34 AM

sorry for the typos in my post -- a few but the main one . . . Should say >>Kent and East Sussex<<
Old Apr 20th, 2018, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions, I will look into all those towns. Out of the four you mentioned do you have a favorite? On another note, weirdly enough the airfare flying into London and out of Munich (with a connection through Heathrow before Houston) is considerably cheaper than direct flights to and out of London, go figure. I suppose alot of business men and tourist drive up the nonstop flares in and out of London. I now have the big decision on whether to stay in England for the entire trip or split the time with 4 days in England and 4 in Bavaria. Indecision R US.
Old Apr 20th, 2018, 10:59 AM

Hi, RollTide Houston.

If you decide to stay the entire time in England, and want to see a bit of the countryside with your wife, I'd recommend the Cotswolds or the Peak District. Really love the landscapes of the Cotswolds, which always best fit my romanticized notions of the English countryside and the Peak District for the manor houses. Like you, I prefer not to rent a car in England if possible. I rented a car for Yorkshire (which did feel necessary), but driving was the least favorite aspect of my trip, to be honest. I got used to the road after the first day, but I prefer to leave it to public transportation just to keep my stress down. I've been to York, which was a fine, interesting city (and I felt I only needed a day there), but all these years later, I never felt a desire to return.

RE: Cotswolds
So, Moreton-in-Marsh (M-i-M) is a nice little Cotswold town with direct train access to London. If you and your wife are interested and able, perhaps look into hikes (or walks, as the English say) from the village to Sezincote, or the Batsford Arboretum. As an American, there is just nothing like the freedom of the walks in England. Sezincote is a gorgeous home, but you'll want to take a tour. If you hike to the house, they'll ask you to take your shoes off, so be prepared.

Also in M-i-M, I can recommend The Secret Cottage Tour, that is a small tour group that. will take you to several Cotswold villages. The tour starts/ends at the M-i-M train station, and you get to meet lovely people--both the local driver, the owner of the "secret cottage" and the other tourists. A really lovely day out, even for an introvert like myself. I see they have another tour, but I didn't do that one. You can see pics and read a bit more on my blog. Or perhaps ask on this forum for more Cotswolds base ideas using public transportation.
https://www.cotswoldtourismtours.co.uk/
Charlotte's Secret Cottage ? Susanne Lord

RE: Peak District (Chatsworth, Haddon Hall, Renishaw Hall, Hardwick)
Another beautiful area is the Peak District. Haddon Hall is extraordinary, as is Chatsworth. Never been to Renishaw Hall or Hardwick, but I understand they're quite popular as well. This would be a longer train ride from London to Matlock, and the rest of the destinations would be managed with bus or by hiking. I'd stay in Bakewell, though. You could walk to Haddon Hall from there. Chatsworth is a phenomenal stately house, and requires several hours and "fresh legs." Also, if you want to do a bit of hiking, you can hike the Monsal Trail from Bakewell, and do as much, or as little as you like.

TRaveline is useful for planning public transportation. And in the Peak District, you can look around the bus schedules at the link below.
Plan your journey | Traveline
Public Transport in Derbyshire & the Peak District

Have a wonderful time planning!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -