Another U.K. Bank Holiday ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are arriving in the U.K. (Manchester) on May 3. We have our first night booked near the airport BUT so far we are winging it from May 4 (sun) on. We get our car on May 4 and want to hit the road immediately - our possible directions are:
1. south to Ironbridge (DH is dying to see the museums)
2. West to North Wales (maybe Conwy)
3. West and then south - Shropshire - Shrewsbury area or maybe Ludlow. (we would love to stop at Erddig but maybe it will be too crowded on a Holiday weekend???)
My question - which direction is likely to be LEAST busy - traffic-wise and finding B&B - wise?
Any help appreciated!
Thanks!
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 08:39 AM

Many schools have only recently had a holiday, so the early May bank holiday should be reasonable.

I don't know how long your stay is, but here are some ideas.

I suggest that you start early and head for Ironbridge/Shrewsbury which are close to each other. Stay overnight in the area.

If you have time, you can then go to stay in Ludlow, maybe also visiting Church Stretton and the Long Mynde. Then head for Wrexham and Erddig.

From there, depending on the duration of your stay, you could either go on to stay in Chester or to Conway. It's best to start for Conway in the morning and take a scenic route.

After that, head back towards the Airport, allowing for an overnight stay near the airport, if driving a long distance or depending on the flight time.
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 08:45 AM

A short answer would be - if it's sunny avoid the coast, especially in south west.

If it's pissing down - then this is not true.
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 09:52 AM

<<< If it's pissing down - then this is not true. >>>

if it's pissing down, avoid any shopping centre, outlet shopping or Ikea
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 10:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Regardless of the weather, avoid IKEA
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 10:34 AM

IKEA is put on Earth to give middle class people somewhere to argue in.

Old Apr 24th, 2008, 10:46 AM

Try voting green, try driving a 2CV, try walking in the opposite direction to the lemmings in Ikea.

The M6 between London and Kirkby Lonsdale is usually a car park. The best way to avoid the silly traffic is not to travel around 5pm to 9pm on Sunday evening.

The A55 between Chester and Conway is another hot spot. The LLyn area is generally Manchester by the sea at the weekends - its very busy.

The Castle Inn in Conway Centre is great and very Old Style Posh.

The roads in Wales/Borders away from Snowdonia are usually fine even in the best weather in Summer.

As CW stated - the masses head for the coast.

We haven't stayed in Ludlow but hace threateded a trip for 12 years. It is known to have some of the best small restaurants in the country and B & Bs to match.

Be interested to hear about your travels.
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 11:05 AM

Ludlow is wonderful. Don't miss it if you can help it.

I lived in a tiny village 5 miles away up the hill for more than 3 years. I went there almost every day on the school run. I'd go back in a heartbeat if I could. It's my favourite place in England, and this is from someone who grew up in and lives in the Cotswolds!
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 01:22 PM

People keep telling me about Ikea,but I have never visited any of their shops..Does this mean I am a bit odd ???
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

We have IKEA here in Toronto and I always associate it with sore feet, mindless wandering and arguing with my husband. (Although to be fair I do have a few things that I bought there.)
BTW thx for advice I am leaning towards Ironbridge/Shrewsbury. We will be driving on Sun AM. And I am definitely going to Ludlow on this trip!
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 02:43 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
About IKEA - 4 flats I've stayed in - in the 5th and 4th in Paris, in Pimlico in London, and in the old town in Edinburgh -- have all had the very same little accent lamp from IKEA. A sort of lopsided glass shape in frosted glass. One had it in blue and the other 3 had white ones - and every time I visit the IKEA here in Northern California, I see the same little lamp . . . .
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 01:47 AM

The north Wales coast road could be busy Sunday and Monday but should be fine after that as the week is not a school holiday. If you go to Erddig, you are not far from either Chirk Castle or Powis Castle (both Nationa Trust). Powis in particular is one of my favourites, a fantastic castle and beautiful gardens. Though there will be plenty of people about, I don't think they would be overcrowded at the weekend.
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 01:25 PM

Hi semiramis, we also are arriving 3 May, staying in LHR hotel and picking up car 4 May.

We've decided to go ahead and book Sunday & Monday nights at Salisbury. Figured the drive wouldn't be too 'taxing' for the first leg. Nothing after that is booked for the next month. Heading to Cornwall next.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

aussiedreamer:
I wish I had a whole month!
Just 2 weeks for us.

Have you been to Cornwall before? We were there a few years ago and loved it. If you are stopping in Devon, consider the Lynton/Lynmouth(sp?) area. We loved the walking along the coast.

Have a great vacation!
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 11:23 PM

No, not Cornwall. Only London for a week Xmas before last.

Really getting excited now..........bet you are too. We will probably pass along the way........after reading some of your posts, maybe even on a round a bout ;-)...only kidding. No problem for us, its the same here, but no doubt we will take a few wrong turns along the way, makes it more of an adventure.