Another San Sebastian Question

Jun 7th, 2006, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Another San Sebastian Question

Loved all the pintxos info ....but what about the water? Nobody mentions it. My husband reckons it's never warm enough to swim, not even in July. I don't believe him! Anyone been swimming in the sea?
Jun 7th, 2006, 10:20 AM

The sea water is cold in San Sebastian. Anyway, in the hot days in summer it could be warmer, but never as warm as here at the mediterranean ! You will see many people bathing, so I suppose is not impossible
Jun 7th, 2006, 02:23 PM

carrom,
As kenderina says,
bathers do swim in the Cantábrico in July and August, but for me, it seems quite cold-way too cold for my comfort, but it's all in what you're used to.
Jun 7th, 2006, 03:13 PM

Just north of San Sebatian in Biarritz, France in June I body surfed naked. It's not bath water like the Med, ugh, but it is marvelously refreshing.
Jun 7th, 2006, 05:57 PM

I had no problem jumping in the water in late August. It was refreshing.
Jun 7th, 2006, 06:09 PM

in May the surfers were wearing wet suits.
Jun 7th, 2006, 07:33 PM

I saw kayakers a few weeks ago who were wearing wetsuits but I also so a few people jumping into the water for a swim in their suits. (Likewise, I saw children and moms in St.Jean de Luz, not many miles away up the Basque Coast into France, playing in the water.)

What I did not fail to note is that the happiest creatures taking a swim on La Concha were dogs -- quite a few of them splashing merrily in the ocean and tearing up and down the beach. I do believe the dogs of San Sebastian were the cheeriest I've ever seen.
Jun 9th, 2006, 01:21 AM

I did last saturday! It was cold,yes but soo refreshing. Today and tomorrow would be an authentic pleasure because it is really hot (30-35C). The water should be around 19 /20C.