Another Ryanair Question

Old Dec 18th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Ryanair Question

Against my better judgment and in spite of all the scathing reviews on this forum and elsewhere, I booked a flight on Ryanair. Time will tell how wise that is. I know that this airline uses every excuse imaginable to wring every last penny out of its passengers.

I noticed that I am required to print my boarding pass on 'standard A4' paper. Not knowing what that is I researched it and found that it differs slightly in size from the North American standard letter paper. Is Ryanair so bad that it will make an issue of the paper size? I guess I could wait and print it out the boarding pass in Europe and then won't have to worry about it.
Old Dec 18th, 2009, 08:46 AM

I always print on A4 paper but still the results from printing Ryanair's boarding passes often vary. Sometimes I needed 2 pages, sometimes 1 page.. no one cared about that.
At the gate, they just tear off the lower part of the print-out by hand, so the paper does not need to fit into some sort of machinery.
Old Dec 18th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

OK, thanks. The reviews I read have made me super paranoid about getting hit with extra charges.
Old Dec 18th, 2009, 09:20 AM

You should be fine. Just don't any help from them if your flight is cancelled etc.
Old Dec 18th, 2009, 12:20 PM

Dont get hyper.
I have used Ryan air twice in June 09 on my trip to Spain and Italy.
I bought my tickets for peanuts- Less than the cost of a berth reservation on Eurail.
I think they were too good.
My oservations
1. The fights were on time in both cases
2. They were comfortable and safe
3. You can print boarding card on A4 or a letterhead size paper. Make sure that you have the bar code printed properly
4. Check in bag 1 per person- less than 15 kgs. can go upto 15.9 kg (I suggest make it till 15.5kg max)There are some empty check in counters where you can weigh and check again to be safer.
5. Hand bags I think are max. 8 0r 10 Kgs. Dont remember. Most important is the size of this. They don't generally weigh the hand bags. They have a S.S. wire cage or a vertical box wich has an opening similar to the overhead compartment in the flight. Critaria is that you bag should go thro' it and fit inside. We carried a medium haversack. These cages are placed just before the securty screening queue, where they check your boarding cards.
6. There are separate queues for people outside EU, who need passport and visa checked. Check for that.
7. There is a long queue after the security check for boarding, as there are no seat numbers. Relax. It doesn't make much difference.
8. They fly at low altitudes many a times, so the view from the window is too good, worth at least 10 times the cost of the tickets. I had a good arial view of paris, French country side. So- Take a window seat. Ask the hostess about 1st 2 unoccupied rows. They are reserved initially but are released later.
9. I used some of my own ideas- I wore a waist pouch, and cargos with big pockets. These could hold my guide books, camera etc. which was atleast 2 kgs. I had them till just before I reached the security screening ( after weighing of my bags at the check-in counter) I removed everything and stuffed it in my hand bag before I put it thro' the scanner machine. This saves a lot of trouble while manual frisking.

10. Most important- allow a little extra time for check-in, may be 1.30 hrs. This gives you enough time to do weight adjustments etc. Don't panic, be cool.

They are professionals and not cheats. If you follow their guidelines, you will have an amazing flight at an unbelivable cost.
all the best,
Parag
Old Dec 18th, 2009, 12:47 PM

Check-in luggage is 15kg. That is 15.0 kilos, not 15.x kilos. Check-in stuff can get pretty anal about that. Using an unused scale before queuing for check-in is a good idea, though.

Cabin luggage is 10kg and ONE piece. Not one bagpack plus bag from duty free store, or a small suitcase and tote bag. But ONE item altogether. At many airports they do weigh hand luggage without exception, at others it's hit or miss. And what ever you buy after security at duty free has to fit IN your hand luggage and the whole package has to stay within the 10kg limit. And they can also weigh again right at the gate.

Whether your passport or visa will be checked by immigration officers or not depends on where your flight will originate and end. But that is no different for any Ryanair pax vs. someone flying biz class on a signature airline.

Ryanair got seperate queues at the gate for people who bought priority boarding and those who have not. The benefit of priority boarding can be nil if the whole bunch get bussed to the plane in one vehicle.

The altitude of a Ryanair flight, as of any flight, is determined by air traffic control, and not sightseeing preferences.

Beverages cost a fortune on board. Whatever they charge at the airport for a bottle of a softdrink after security, you can rest assured that it will be cheaper than what you pay on board.
Old Dec 18th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

That's me - hyper. Thanks for all the great information.
Old Dec 18th, 2009, 01:55 PM

We have had 3 flights with Ryanair with no problems. We learned you should declare how many bags you will check in when you buy your ticket. Otherwise, it will cost you a lot more to check in an extra bag when you check in for your flight.

You can only carry on one bag - that includes purses etc. My sister said oh, they don't mean purses - just a purse and a carryon. So we were standing in line to go through security and she was handing me stuff of hers to squeeze into my healthy bag purse (its amazing how much stuff will fit in that bag). So she then got her purse into her shopping bag and it worked out okay.

Another thing is to be know where Ryanair will land - the airports are sometimes quite a distance from a city.
Old Dec 18th, 2009, 04:06 PM

All NON EU passengers must go to the Ryanair ticket office before the flight with the boarding pass to have their passport checked whether it is a domestic flight or not.

(This is clearly stated now on the paper boarding passes. Just don't forget to do it)
Old Dec 18th, 2009, 07:31 PM

This is turning out to be a very useful thread.
I wish, I had got it before I flew Ryanair the first time.

Cowboy, you are right, the limit for the hand bag is 10 Kgs.
What I remembered was the weight of my hand bags.
Sometimes it is difficult to fit into that size and weigh 10 kgs.
I guess the altitude is also governed by the size of the aircraft and its engine.
It also depends on the weather conditions.
They generally go just above the cloud levels.
I guess going higher offers less resistance in the air, resulting in better fuel eonomy and speed.

These aircrafts being the smaller ones, must be flying at a lower altitudes.
I have seen that in many countries, in case of smaller aircrafts,used by the low cost airlines. An aviation expert would be able to throw more light on this.
It is an added bonus, thogh it is not meant to be a sightseeing trip. You would pay a bomb to do that over, say Grand canyon, Nigara or Cappadocia and may not get permission to do that over a city like Paris.
I remember standing in the check in queue and going back to the a special counter ( it wasn't a ticket counter) at the end of the row of check in counters, to get my visa and passport checked and stamped. The signages were not very clear for a first time traveller on Ryan.
I think it was a learning experience.
Overall, we were quite happy.
Old Dec 19th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Yes, this is turning out to be very useful, and I'm feeling more optimistic about Ryanair. The reviews on the Airline Quality website were so universally horrible I was feeling foolish for making the booking. Maybe people with an axe grind are the ones who tend to leave reviews there.
Old Dec 19th, 2009, 06:44 AM

Ryanair fly 737-800 which isn't a small aircraft. I've never noticed the site seeing effect.
Ryanair are OK, unless anything goes wrong, delays etc.
I have no axe to grind, I just fly another airline when I can.
Old Dec 19th, 2009, 07:37 AM

lincasanova is right. I misread the "queueing" in the OP as something related to the seperate boarding queues or immigration, but not the trip to another counter to get your documents checked.
I wonder if they also do that for trips which stay within the Schengen zone... you can't really understand everything what Ryanair thinks is necessary to get on a plane...
Old Dec 19th, 2009, 08:43 AM

Ryanair are fine. They are no different to many low cost airlines. I fly with them at least once a month between mainland Europe and Ireland. They boast the best on time takeoff and landing in the business. Not sure how accurate that claim is but i have always taken off on time or within 30 mins or so.If you are with company and want to sit together then prority booking is worth it. Ive never been bused to a flight,as most of the airports they fly to are small. Dublin and the London airports are the probably the largest they use and i have never been bused to or from any of those airports. The cost of priority booking is 4 Euro so its just a question of what you want.
They are getting very fussy about the size of hand luggage so you need to make sure you are under the max size. And at most airports they will insist that everything is in that. They will sometimes let ladies on carrying their handbags, but dont bank on it. Most females will chance their arm and if told to put it in the luggage will do so then, but make sure you have enough room to accommadate it.
They dont make a fuss about the size of the on-line booking form, but make sure you do book on-line because if you dont they will charge you 40 Euros.
Ive never heard the theory about them flying lower than other airlines. 30 odd thousand feet is always the altitude the pilot says the planes are flying at.
Flying Ryanair is like flying with any one else. It gets you from A to B cheaply and safely. Dont worry, read the rules and you will be fine
Old Dec 19th, 2009, 12:33 PM

cowboy.."I wonder if they also do that for trips which stay within the Schengen zone... you can't really understand everything what Ryanair thinks is necessary to get on a plane..."

not only do that obviously for international flights, where one must go through immigration also, but on ALL flights, even within the same country.(at least in Spain)

I almost missed my flight the first time they started impleenting this as I went straight to the gate and hadn't got my boarding pass stamped for what they called in those days "VISA CHECK". (They now advise all NON EU passengers to apss by their office, and don't confuse us with that Visa excuse).

Such an idiotic name. I paid no atention to any "visa check" as I don't have one and am a legal resident.

So please be very careful and do not forget to give yourself a bit extra time to go in another queue at the Ryanair ticket/customer service office to get your documents "checked".

Seems they are now seriously studying standing room seats. They are being designed as we speak for short flights under 2 hours, I believe.
Old Dec 19th, 2009, 01:46 PM

Wow.. that really is totally absurd.. esp. since you did not even leave Spain.
Guess I never noticed that nonsense because I have an EU passport
Old Dec 19th, 2009, 02:24 PM

Those pictograms at check-in clearly indicate that all non EU/EFTA passenges have to have their boarding pass stamped and checked before passing security. Same preocedure at Memmingen for flights to Bremen. Just don't forget to do it.
Great Airline overall. Imho those that have problems cause it themselves by not reading the fine print. I got 3!! emails from them reminding me about printing my boarding pass before I get to the airport and informing me about luggage restrictions.
Old Dec 20th, 2009, 12:41 AM

logos.. this never happened BEFORE because Ryanair never allowed non-EU passengers to print their boarding passes.If you put in country of residence anything other than EU, a note came up telling you to go to check-in to get your boarding passes.

Then you had to pay 5 euros (the penalty at the time for not printing your boarding pass)in Spain and claim to get it back. I am still waiting for ALL my 5 euros to be returned.

Funnily, in Germany, when I went to get my boarding pass and asked where I pay the 5 euros.. they had no idea what I was talking about.

THEN, Ryanair started allowing non-EU passengers to print their boarding passes.. and put up in a corner on the page the VISA CHECK info.

Well.. if you don't have a VISA, why would a 40 yr resident of Spain even bother to read that.. especially on a VLC-MAD flight!??

NOW they have changed the advisory to VERY CLEAR indications even for those not checking luggage (who might see another huge sign).. stating the NON-EU info whether you have a visa or not.

They obviously had a LOT of problems from non-visa holders who didn't bother to read the VISA CHECK info.

oh...The time I almost missed my flight with the VISA CHECK mishap they charged me 20 euros for not getting it stamped which I am still claiming.
Old Jun 6th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

I have now returned from my vacation which included a Ryanair flight. The responders were correct who said it is an OK airline and you just have to follow the rules. They were very good about sending e-mails reminding me about the procedures.

I found it to be no better or worse than Southwest in the U.S. Scrambling for a seat is not my favorite way to travel but I will do it if it gets me where I want to go affordably. Check in was not a problem and I was well under my weight limit as I usually travel pretty lightly. I found there to be no separate line at Stansted for the passport check. It was done at the same time as baggage check.

I will travel with them again if it serves my purpose.