Another Rome question...traveling?

Old Mar 18th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Rome question...traveling?

Thanks everyone for your help!
I'll be starting our list of top picks for Rome.
I know that we'll be doing a lot of walking...but is anything required by train? Or should we just plan on walking a lot?
TIA!
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 12:04 PM
nma

We had a driver take us from the airport to our hotel in Rome. We walked for 3 days and then took a cab tot he train station to leave for Florence. We walked A LOT and saw so much!
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 01:30 PM

Last summer, we had pre-arranged a taxi to pick us up at the airport and bring us to the apartment we rented, also for the return. Since there were 5 of us, it was less expensive than the bus/train, and after a series of very long flights, we were concerned that we might be too jet lagged to figure out the airport to city center transport. But in 6 days in Rome, we never took transportation other than Shanks-mare. Bring good shoes to manage all the cobble-stone streets.
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 03:14 PM

Transportation to the airport via Leonardo Express departs at 21 and 51 minutes after the hour from Termini Station to Leonardo daVinci Airport (Fiumicino). Purchase tickets at automatic ticket vending machine in Termini Station.

Metro in Rome is also available, but very crowded especialy during rush hour. I have seen pickpocketing occur at these times, and have heard from friends living in Rome that certain bus lines frequented by tourists are also notorius. Be careful, as in all large cities.

Many sights, such as ruins in Forums, Colosseum, and Capitoline Hill museums are close together. Also, the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Spanish Steps, and Trevi Fountain are not terribly far apart.
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 06:18 PM

The metro doesn't go very close to many of the most famous sights--they can't dig tunnels there since every time they dig they it ancient ruins. Many people use the metro to reach the Vatican Museums, since it is further from the center of things. Some use it to reach the Colosseum since it stops right across the street. It depends a lot on where you're staying and if it's close to a metro station.

The bus system is extensive, but can be confusing and crowded for some visitors.

For me, I mostly walk, with the occasional taxi later at nigth if I'm tired.