Another phone question...SORRY!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am finding that I am going to Paris 2-3 times a year and need to have a mobile phone. Has anyone found a cheap cell that does not have a contract, but a pay as you go AND be able to keep the same FRENCH phone number. I need to have a local number.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 04:59 PM

Have you seen Orange's offering?

http://www.orange.fr/0/visiteur/PV
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 05:23 PM

Also, talk to the folks at Orange UK. I don't know what kind of deal they'll cut you for France, but it doesn't cost anything to ask. Here's a nice phone for $33:

http://shop.orange.co.uk/shop/show/h.../pay_as_you_go
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 05:40 PM

Accidentally found a great deal when I was in the UK. I imagine that there is a French equivalent. Check at a local French mobile shop.

In the UK, found an inexpensive UNLOCKED phone with a fixed amount of calling credit. No contract. Any remaining credit never expires as long as the phone is used once in 90 days. The credit could be topped off via phone or internet.
Your phone number will be disconnected if you don't use the phone in 90 days.
You can reactivate the number as long as it is within a fixed period of time for a fee. The credit is still lost. Mine can be reconnected max of 60 days after disconnect.
The only bad thing is my phone can only be used in the UK. I do wish I could use the phone in the US to send a simple text (very cheap c/w calls) so I could keep my number active if I am approaching that 90 day mark.

My plan is with mobile world which has a nice website. They may have similar specials in France.

Since the phone is unlocked, I can switch to other prepaid SIM cards as I travel to different countries. Sometimes, the credits are in as little as $5-10 equivalent. Small enough for "peace of mind" insurance while traveling. Plenty enough to call home without worrying about running out.

You can start by googling about French pay as you go plans to look at plan options (including the one mentioned by Robespierre). Many airports have mobile stores. Don't know if the prices will be higher or the same as the high streets.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 05:44 PM

I come and go from Spain and have had the same number for years now. You have to use the phone every few months, so before I leave the country, I put a 50 euro credit on the SIM card. Then, every month I use it to make one call (the number works in the US) to Spain. that one call keeps my number active even while abroad, and costs about 3 euros.

I imagine that France has the same thing, as my cousin does it from there.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 05:47 PM

There is lots of info available...

Orange FR really has very little connection to Orange UK...policies are completely different.

Orange FR will sell you a sim pack but the credit is good for only a limited time after which you have 6 months to top it up to keep the number...during that period you can receive but not make calls. Top ups on Orange FR cost from 10 euro good for 10 days and then 6 months thereafter 20 euro good for 2 months and 6 months thereafter 30 euro good for 3 months and 6 months thereafter.

To top up an Orange FR you need a voucher purchased at a tabac in France; Orange FR allows roaming in say the US so you could top up with a voucher bought in France from the US....French domestic calls on Orange FR are expensive, calls to North America are expensive too but there are ways to less that using callback services...the other two big French networks SFR and another one called Buoygeus or something like that have similar policies.

Recently several French mobile companies have begun which don't take away your credit after fixed periods of time but rather allow you to keep the number and credit by making at least one call every so often.

You can read up about French networks on www.prepaidgsm.net in the operators section.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 06:10 PM

By an Orange UK "deal" I meant that maybe if you like the price you could buy the phone from them and they would unlock it for Orange France. Here's their tariff:

http://click.orange.fr/public/oclick..._tarifaire.pdf

If you have a tri- or quad-band GSM phone with your US carrier, you can take it with you and plug in a French SIM. Shop for a carrier whose expiration policy suits your travel schedule - my Virgin UK needs to be used once a year for me to keep the number.