Have unlocked phone/emergency calls only/mostly in France

Notices

Old May 29th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
I know there are a myriad of posts on cell phones already but I couldn't figure out what is best for my requirements:
- I have a phone I can add a SIM to
- will be few days in Spain and Italy and 3 weeks in France
- plan to use it as an emergency contact for family back home
- I don't expect to be back in Europe for a few year so something prepaid is not useful

Am I better of getting something in America or picking something up in Barcelona (where I arrive).

thanks id advance,
Eric
Old May 29th, 2008, 06:17 PM

I don't know your carrier but I have ATT. I just call have international calling added for the month I'm gone for I think an additional $6 or $7. When I get back I have it turned off.
Old May 29th, 2008, 07:05 PM

If you have an un-locked phone that you can put any sim into then you should go on-line and buy a global sim card. It will come with a free Liechtenstein telephone number.

Then you call Barry at Call Back World or go online and he assigns your actual cell phone number to the Liechtenstein number so that anyone calling your cell phone like normal will reach you where ever you are at no cost to them. You pay for the incoming and out going calls. You can see the rates at Call Back World. Very Cheap. I use my cell phone in europe just as I would use it at home. I don't want to have to continuely think "Oh my GOD this is costing me a fortune" Well it does not and I am on my phone talking to everyone everyday and sending them pics from my camera phone showing off all the places I am seeing !!

I wouldn't travel any other way.

Oh and it's also handy to have when you get lost or need directions.

Check it out..can't hurt...
Old May 29th, 2008, 07:19 PM

Areala...

Some of your information is a bit dated and CBW is no longer all that good a buy with a Liechtenstein number nor is a Liechtenstein number all that good a buy so scratch that.

Tothe OP...

1. Who is your carrier (assuming you are American)? Is it AT&T or T Mobile USA? That would lead to one solution.

2. If not, we might wish to explore other solutions...an international sim card from United Mobile might be a good deal here..you would get a British number (+44 country code) where people calling you would not be paying all that much, you would pay nothing to receive calls and calling to the USA would be something in the vicinity of 40¢/minute.

You can acquire the card before you leave so you will know your number and be able to give it out.

Bear in mind that from the USA although many ld carriers will advertise dirt cheap rates to call British numbers, those only apply to British landlines...calls to British mobiles usually carry about 22 or 23 cent surcharge per minute.

There are other solutions too of varying complexity....
Old May 29th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

I am with Verizon and they do a have a plan but is requires phone rental of $3.99/day.