Another Paris Hotel Question!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a trip for April 5-10 in Paris. We will actually be in on the 6th and flying out at 10am on the 10th, so we have half of the 6th, all of the 7th, 8th and 9th. I am thinking of staying at the Hotel Jeanne d'Arc in the 4e. Is it close enough to walk to everything that tourists want to see ;-) or do I need to pick something closer? Is it worth it to buy a museum pass? and are the french going to be laughing at me if I'm wearing tennis shoes??
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 11:06 AM

Yes, the French will be doubled over in laughter. -

The Jeanne d'Arc is a very popular hotel, as you probably already know.
The only slight criticisms I've read are on the size of the rooms, not surprising for a budget-minded hotel (or for more expensive ones, for that matter).
You can walk easily to Notre Dame and you would already be in the Marais area.

Paris is a city and if you were to walk everywhere you'd be using up hours of time, so no matter which neighborhood you choose you'll at some point want to use the metro or buses.

'Worth it' to buy the museum pass?
From what standpoint? Does it provide a discount on lots of museums and historic sites? Yes. Will you visit all of those and therefore save a lot of money? Not necessarily, depends on you. Does it save you from waiting in long ticket-buyer lines at the Orsay and Louvre museums?
Yes.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 11:15 AM

Wear whatever shoes are comfortable. Nothing makes a trip more miserable than sore feet! If you don't want to stand out in a crowd with bright white tennies (I've seen quite a few people in Paris wearing sneakers, incidentally), perhaps you should check out Rockports or, if female, Easy Spirits. Both have worked fine for me.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 02:29 PM
ira

Hi SC,

The hotel is in a good location. You are less than 1 km from 3 metro stops serving the 1, 5 and 8 lines.

Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 02:49 PM

bring a passport photo and purchase a weekly metro pass, you will need the photo for the pass

plan on visiting some places on nights they stay open late, like the Lourve stays open very late one night a week, etc.

Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 02:50 PM

We stayed at the Jeanne d'Arc, the locatin was PERFECT! Have a great stay!
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 05:25 PM

We stayed around the corner from the Hotel Jeanne d'Arc in the 4e and absolutely loved the location. We easily walked to the Louvre, d'Orsay, Pompidou, Seine, over to the 5th, etc. Used the RER (took a train marked "express&quot from CDG to Chatelet to Metro St. Paul and walked to the hotel, it only took about 35 minutes from CDG to St. Paul. Some will say this is a big production, but if you are not dragging everything you own with you it is very manageable.

There are some neat places for breakfast near the hotel on rue St. Antoine: Miss Manon's at #87 (corner of Rue St. Paul & R. Saint Antoine, you can eat at counter or take away) and L'Arsenal (eat at counter or sit in the window and watch the French children walk to school) it's a little further down the street toward Bastille from Miss Manon's on the opposite side. We became "regulars" and each morning Madame brought us our cafe creme and plate of croissants automatically, she spoke very little English and was a true delight. Yes, it is cheaper to eat at the counter, but it was well worth a few extra Euro to sit down and relax while watching the locals go to work and school. Near your hotel is Place du Marche Sainte Catherine, if you are looking for a place for dinner go over to the square and try "Le Marche" restaurant or, if you like Italian try "Soprano" the truffle risotto is to die for! Neither are "high dining" just nice places to eat good food at a reasonable price.

Wear your tennis shoes (no one really cares, be comfortable) and get a museum pass. With the pass you will probably "try" some museum that you might not go into if you thought about staying in line, paying admission etc. Also the ability to jump ahead in line is worth the price of the pass.

Sorry if this was too long, I hope it was of some help to you!
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 05:46 PM

Does Hotel Jeanne d'Arc have a/c?
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 11:10 AM

I don't believe so
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 06:10 AM

Speaking of comfy shoes, I just placed another order for a pair of Land's End mocs that were extremely comfortable and the soles were so thick and as effective as gel soles. They are on sale too....for just 9.99 (reg. 29.50)!!

Mens: http://www.landsend.com/cd/ov/prod/1...RCH=PAGE_29751

Womens:
http://www.landsend.com/cd/ov/prod/1...RCH=PAGE_29747

At this price, they won't last long.
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 06:16 AM

If the links don't work, go to www.landsend.com and click on the "Overstocks" tab; then put in this number in the search box: 8652-1WC7 for men's shoes and 8651-9WCX for women's shoes.

Old Jan 25th, 2005, 06:26 AM

starryceleb13: We are also staying at Grand Hotel Jeanne d'Arc in early June. Make sure you post back here with your review/comments.
Also, be careful that you don't accidentally book the Hotel Jeanne d'Arc in the 13th arr. by accident. Apparently, many people make this mistake as the hotel names are too similar.
Cheers,
Betty