Paris in November Paris pass?

Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris in November Paris pass?

Flying from USA to Paris November 4 and staying a week at Hotel du Cadran by rue cler has anyone stayed here? I'm 58 and will have niece, 30 year old with me, should we get the Paris pass or just the museum pass? Any tips. ...
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 07:20 PM

Not sure what pass you are referring to. If it is the Paris Visite, I find that to be pretty worthless and overpriced. The museum pass is worth it if you will visit several museums during the validity period. Since you arrive on a Thursday the wekly metro pass (navigo decouverte) is probably not a good idea as validity starts Monday and you would have only a few day's use. Best bet is buying carnet (car-nay) of 10 individual metro tickets which gives you a slight discount over the price of individual tickets. Buy at the ticket window at the metro station.

Have not stayed at that hotel (which gets mostly great reviews on TA) but have stayed in the area and it is great.
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 07:52 PM

Unless you are planning to spend all your waking hours visiting museums, the passes aren't much use. Most museums have little or no line (even the Louvre, but the Orsay can be a problem), particularly in November. The Eiffel Tower often has a substantial line, but it's not on any of the passes (last time I looked).

As for transportation, Paris Visite is a tourist trap. Currently, individual packs of tickets may be your most economical choice unless you use the Métro a lot, in which case one of the longer passes (such as Mobilis) might help. Navigos are convenient but require a substantial one-time investment (about €11 for the card and a photo, plus the actual cost of the pass).

The rue Cler is a favorite with people who read Rick Steves, not because it's any more interesting than any other place in Paris, but simply because ... they read Rick Steves. It has become quite touristy because of him, with higher prices and lower quality, but I don't specifically know how the Hôtel du Cadran is (probably rubbing its hands with glee over the influx of Steves' fans).
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 09:38 PM

Hi Snoopy,

I have stayed for several years at a hotel on the same street as the Hotel du Cadran and like the location very much. The rue Cler has changed over the years, some of our favorite places are gone but I don't think we will move to another neighborhood for future visits. We first chose the area because it seemed more residential and less touristy than some parts of Paris. Perhaps we are just comfortable in a familiar place.

I agree with the suggestion to buy the carnet of 10 tickets for the Metro. Museum pass can be convenient if you plan to visit lots of museums but not all monuments are included so check before you buy to make sure what you want to visit is included. http://en.parismuseumpass.com/

You'll be in walking distance of the Rodin museum which we enjoyed but take the Metro and don't miss the Jacquemart Andre if you can squeeze it in. If it's your first trip to Paris you might want to try one of the hop-on/off tours to get oriented to the city. The weather should be perfect for hot chocolate which is amazing in France.

Have a great trip.
Old Sep 4th, 2010, 01:49 PM

I've seen those Paris passes but don't remember what all is included, but it isn't a good deal for most people. YOu need to decide for yourself, though, as to whether you will use all the things on it. As I recall, it has various discounts or free entry on some attractions and services. If you really wanted to do all of them, I think it would be a good deal. If you didn't, it wouldn't, it's that simple. It includes a wine tasting at O Chateau, a Seine cruise, I think the hopon/off bus, and other things, plus the museum pass and Paris Visite. Most people don't do all those things, but if you want to, it could make sense.
Old Sep 4th, 2010, 02:50 PM

My friend and I were in Paris the early part of Nov. several years ago, and we used the Carnet for the metro and it worked out very well. We didn't plan ahead a lot so consequently didn't get the museum passes. It might have saved us a few euros, but it was fine and there were no lines so speak of anywhere.

I thought it was a perfect time to be there.
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 03:45 AM

Snoopy We will be staying at the DuCadran for 9 days this November. It will be our 9th stay at the hotel in 10 years, 5 of them in November. The brunch in a wonderful way to start your day. There are a lot of nice restaurants close by and the area isn't very "touristy" at all in November. The staff at the hotel are extremely helpful.Hope you have a great time.
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 04:55 AM

You caan always buy individual tickets for all the museums at the FNAC stores . I never buy a museum pass because my eyes go into overload after a few hours in museums... Stendahl Syndrome. Enter the Louvre thru the entrance in the Carousel de Louvre shopping center, never any lines. Not found lines at most places other than the d"Orsay and for that I go to FNAC