Another PARIS day trip question...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2005, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I have read all thh day trip post and there are lots of recommendations but not a lot of descriptions. Here is my question, what would be a good day trip from Paris by car? I was thinking about renting a car for the day so I can wander around. I've been to Champagne, Rouen and Versailles. I want to go somewhere scenic and old world that had good bistos and cafes and a few sights.

Ideas?
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 12:35 PM

Fontainebleu - castle and the two viilages in the forest nearby known as artists havens - Milly-la-Foret and Barbizon, the latter has a whole school of art named after it (i think)

or Loire Valley - great restos in Blois and Tours or Amboise and castles galore. Steeped in history.

Chartres - cathedral and sweet regional town
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 01:33 PM

Rich: We've been to Rouen, Chartres, Troyes, Mount St. Michel, Giverny, St. Malo and the Loire; all were day excursions either by train or car rental. I would definitely go to the Loire - we visited Chambord, Chenonceau and Amboise.
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 01:33 PM

Or pair up Troyes and Provins...
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 01:47 PM

I think one of our best ever day trips from Paris with a rental car (we've done several), was picking up the car at 8 AM and driving to Giverny, arriving to have a little breakfast in the garden across the street before the house and gardens opened at 10.
After visiting there, we headed to Honfleur for a delightful walk and a super meal along the picturesque harbor. From there we headed out to the spectacular coastal scenery of Etretat where we did a short walk on the cliffs, then down on the beach. Afterwards we headed to the quaint town of Pont Audemer, where we sat at a cafe and sampled cheese and wines. We took our time during the day, and arrived back in Paris at 9:15, to have a wonderful late dinner.
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 06:41 AM
Caravaggista

Chartres is lovely. Beautiful cathedral, charming town. But you can take the train there--don't need a car.