touring the Loire Valley

Old Jul 11th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
touring the Loire Valley

We're leaving in a week for Spain and Paris. Planning to see some castles in the Loire Valley during the Paris stay. Is it easier to rent a car in Paris or take the train to Blois or Tours and then rent the car? We only have one day to spend in the valley. (love reading the forum!)
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 07:55 AM

Forget the sales brochures and bus company hype.
Until you have visited Versailles, Vaux-le-Vicomte, Chantilly, Fontainebleau, Château de Pierrefonds, Provins, and Chartres or other comparable destinations which are much closer to Paris, plan your trip to the Loire Valley when you have the 2-3 days it requires to explore this area properly.
There is simply no urgent requirement for someone to spend the bulk of the day driving or packed into a bus and horded like sheep through these historical and architectural treasures when other examples arguably just as important can be found just minutes from Central Paris.
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 07:56 AM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
I recommend taking the TGV to Tours and picking up the car there. Saves you the headache of driving in Paris! This is how we did it.
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 08:02 AM

I also would take the TVG to Tours and drive from there. But one day really is insufficient, and you'll pay as much for a 1-day rental as for a 3-day rental, so to me that would be a deal breaker. As noted, there are a bazillion great day trips to castles closer to Paris.
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the opinions! What castles would you suggest closer to Paris, besides Versailles and what is the easiest way to get there?
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 12:58 PM

I've done the train to Blois and rent a car there routine and it worked for us since we were overnighting in Amboise. Chenonceau is one chateau which is a bit closer to Blois than to Tours but I think you could also rent the car in the latter which might be better for visitng the chateaux such as Villandry and Chambord.

I disagree that there is necessarily some "proper" way to visit the Loire Valley or anywhere else for that matter since everyone travels at a different pace and some are obviously more pressed for time than others. You could certainly visit at least two Loire chateaux in a long day if you wished to do so.

As to the locations closer to Paris mentioned above; Versailles I suspect you already know a great deal about. Vaux-le-Vicomte is certainly worth a visit and it can be reached by a combination of suburban rail and taxi from Paris. It served as a more of less "model" for the subsequent building of Versailles and is richly decorated inside and has extensive grounds.

Enjoy your trip and resist intimidation.
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 01:07 PM

Vincennes, Fontainebleau, Chantilly, Auvers-sur-Oise, Breteuil, Compiègne, Malmaison,and Vaux-le-Vicomte are all close to Paris (Vincennes is IN Paris) and can be reached by public transportation.
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 01:44 PM

Azay-le-Rideau is a delightful, smaller chateau that has always been one of my faves.
Old Apr 30th, 2013, 06:41 PM

Vincennes is too severe for my liking. But Fontainebleau & Vaux particularly - wonderful. Vaux is difficult by public transport.

Pierrefonds nr Compiegne is great.

Loire is not just about chateaux. The countryside & towns & villages are delightful.
Old Apr 30th, 2013, 06:42 PM

Addit - However one day for Loire is insufficent. I would choose somewhere closer