Another online DB ticket purchase question

Old Jul 27th, 2009, 12:13 PM
yk
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Germany experts,

I need to buy 2 tickets roundtrip for Berlin/Dresden for late September. I have been doing some dummy bookings on DB and have a few questions:

1) If I enter ONE person for this roundtrip journey, the lowest price I get is €54 total using the Sparpreis 25 discount.

If I enter TWO people for the same journey (same dates/trains), the lowest price I get is €81 total using the Sparpreis 25 discount.

Why is that buying 2 tickets together is less than 2x a single ticket?

2) What's the difference between Sparpreis 25 & Dauer-Spezial? Both are limited to a specific train and non-refundable, right?

3) Seat reservation is 2 euros extra. Is it necessary for this journey? This is the direct EC train between Berlin/Dresden

4) The Sparpreis 25 tickets are available for online, self-printing option. Is there anything I need to know before I choose this option? Any potential problems?

5) I'm choosing Berlin HBF, but the train also stops at Berlin Südkreuz. If I buy tickets to/from Berlin Hbf, but get on/off at Berlin Südkreuz, would that be a problem?

Thanks in advance. I hope to buy my tickets in the next few days.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 12:26 PM

1) There are lots of German tickets where two people traveling together get a cheaper deal than two people traveling separately.

4) I haven't had problems. I print to a PDF, so I can make as many copies as I want, when I actually print it.

5) I can't see how it would be a problem.

If you are seeing these cheap tickets today, keep in mind they might not be there tonight. So don't delay too much.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 12:35 PM

Hi yk---I've done the "self-print" option and it was very easy and problem-free. Just be sure and take the printed copy with you, and the credit card you used just in case they ask to see it.

You can always get off the train earlier than the destination that you paid for. Just make sure your actual train makes that stop.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 04:15 PM

Dauer-Spezial fares are good for single (one-way) trips. Sparpreis 25 and Sparpreis 50 tickets are only good for roundtrips between the same stations.

Yes, these discount fares are for specific departure dates and times. Dauer-Spezial tickets are non-exchangeable and non-refundable. I assume the same is true for Sparpreis 25 and Sparpreis 50 tickets.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 06:34 PM
yk
Original Poster

Thank you ALL!

I was going to drag my feet for another day or so before committing (I don't know why I do that, even though my dates are 99.9% set in my mind).

Then, I went to check Dresden's Historic Green Vault's ticket for the day I want to visit. I almost had a heart attack because I initially thought there are still plenty of tickets left. I thought it's open on Tuesdays, but it's not, and the only Wednesday we can go, the morning tickets are all sold out. So I hurriedly bought our Green Vault tickets, then went ahead and bought the train tickets online.

Thanks to another thread on DB online recently, I figured out how to enter my phone # on the online form.

I did end up buying seat reservation. I just don't want to chance it, esp when I travel with DH. He tends to get aggravated over little things (such as scrambling for open seats).

Total amount is €81 + €8 = €89 for r/t for 2 of us. WT, it looks like buying 2 tickets together gives a 25% discount over single tickets. Full fare tickets for this journey is €144 + seat reservation. I'm pretty happy with the savings!
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 11:58 PM

>4) The Sparpreis 25 tickets are available for online, self-printing option. Is there anything I need to know before I choose this option? Any potential problems?

Any problems would originate in your printer. I have difficulties when I try to print US letter size documents without resiszing them first to A4; I imagine the same would be a problem in the opposite direction.
Also do not forget to bring THE SAME credit card you paid the ticket with. It is your ID for the ticket. The ticket is not valid without it.

5) I'm choosing Berlin HBF, but the train also stops at Berlin Südkreuz. If I buy tickets to/from Berlin Hbf, but get on/off at Berlin Südkreuz, would that be a problem?

If you get ON in Berlin Südkreuz, you have to go to your reserved seats fast. The seat reservations become void 15 min after departure. And it takes almost 15 min from HBf to Südkreuz.
I cannot imagine that anybody cares if you get OFF in Südkreuz.
Check whether your ticket has a "+city" addition - then it covers city transportation from the station to your final destination.
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 02:24 AM
ira

Hi yk,

>Why is that buying 2 tickets together is less than 2x a single ticket?<

It is so that they can make life difficult for Americans.

It encourages more people to take off on short notice.
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 06:58 AM

>>Why is that buying 2 tickets together is less than 2x a single ticket?<

Mainly to attract families/groups which would otherwise drive.
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 07:12 AM

With the SparPreis ticket, the first person gets a 25% discount (SparPreis 25) or a 50% discount (SparPreis 50). Additional Mitfahrer (cotravelers, up to 4) get 50% off the first person's fare.