Another Greek Itinterary to critique

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2005, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would love Fodorites' input on our proposed honeymoon itinerary June 4-June 15. We are spending 4 nights in Mykonos at the Hotel Petasos Beach, 4 nights in Santorini at Esperas, and 3 nights in Athens at either the Stanley Hotel or St. George Lycabettus. We are having a bit of angst over the Athens hotel... any suggestions? Also, any suggestions on day trips from Athens? We were considering either a day trip to Delphi or a day cruise to Hydra. Suggestions? Also, being Americans, we were told that considering all the anti-American sentiment in Europe at this time, it would perhaps be in our best interest to create the illusion of being Canadian. Any thoughts??
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 06:56 PM

And just what were you thinking of wearing as a disguise, Canadian flag jackets, bandanas and hats? Seriously, you'll be fine. Greeks love the visitors to their country, and Americans are as welcome as the rest.

What's causing the angst? Everything I've ever heard about the St. George Lycabettus was positive. Kolonaki is one of the best neighborhoods in downtown central Athens. The St. George is a few blocks to the west of Omonia Square, which puts it in a less-desireable neighborhood but safe enough as long as you're not passing through Omonia at night on foot.

Unless you're flying, save Athens until the end of your honeymoon so as to give yourselves a little extra time to get back to the mainland in case of ferry breakdowns or high winds which can sometimes delay the boats for a day or two.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

I'm glad to hear the the ST. George is a worth while hotel... I'm hearing mixed reviews on the rooms... Outdated and small, some sources say...Others say it is too far from the Plaka.
We are looking forward to the Greek experience... glad to hear Americans aren't unwelcome despite all the recent US policy disagreements/conflicts with our EU pals.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 07:24 PM

Most of the time trying to disguise yourself as a Canadian doesn't work. First of all, there isn't any Canadian national dress. Or maybe you were planning to wear hockey gear? Plus, draping yourself in flags etc. looks silly, even if it's the flag of your own country. Anyway we Canucks can usually tell imposters from a mile away. We're different from you, you know! But it's a behaviour/demeanor thing.

Whoever advised you of this disguise business should give their heads a shake. How silly. If you are polite then people will be polite in turn. The Greeks are lovely people.

The St. George seemed to me to be in a very nice location when we walked around that area; lots of upscale shopping. It's not really more than a 10 minute walk from the Plaka, and close to the funicular for Mt. Lycabettus, which is a must-see IMO.

You will have a lovely time in Greece!
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 07:31 PM

"we were told that considering all the anti-American sentiment in Europe..." and you BELIEVED it????
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 07:55 PM

I stayed at the St. George twice prior to the Olympics. It went through an extensive renovation during that period and all I can say is positive. The last time we were there we hosted our friends for their 20th anniversary.

Have breakfast on the top floor restaurant. It has open air seating. You will have to pinch yourself as you look over directly at the Acropolis while you sip your coffee. By June most of the major restaurants and clubs downtown Athens close and move to beachside locations. Take time to venture out for a late dinner and take in some nightlife. The Greeks are great fun and very hospitable. You'll have a blast.

We walked everywhere with no problem! Plaka, Acropolis, museums. We hired a couple to drive us to Delphi and Meteora to see the monistaries. We enjoyed our trip with guides Sophia and Billy as much as the tour itself. I will be glad to look up their names and informaion for you if you're interested. You can also book a tour through your agent or the hotel.

We returned to Athens and took a 7 day sailing charter to some of the islands ([email protected]) and ended our trip with 3 nights in Santorini. We bucked tradition and stayed on the highest part of Pyrgos at Zannos Melathron Hotel. The circa 1750 villa was converted into a hotel just a few years ago and features only 10 suites. Our first night there we were offered a private candlelight wine tasting in a cave under the hotel. If you don't stay there, at least go for a sunset dinner. The balcony of the restaurant looks out across Santorini to the ocean. Very different from a Caldera view but very memorable!!

Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the wonderful advice. We've settled upon the St. George for Athens. It sounds wonderful.

And 'Taggie'... I've spend time in your fair country both in my business as a lumber trader as well as for personal travel, and am quite aware that the Canadians are quite unique from Americans but thank you for clarifying. Not that it deserves discussion, but I was not planning on pasting maple leaves all over our luggage but rather will attempt to keep a low profile and not be the ugly Americans. COnsider it a compliment to the country of Canada!