Another Greek Island Trip Review

Dec 18th, 2005, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

Another Greek Island Trip Review

This is our first trip to the Greek Islands (we've previously traveled to Athens) so I'm looking on some confirmation of our plans. We want a good balance of relaxation, visiting sites, enjoying food and wine, visiting spas, etc.

We enjoy light athletic activity (walking, swimming, other water sports, golf, tennis, etc., but the idea of hiking or camping in the outdoors isn't our cup of tea.) Any comments would be appreciated:

Day One-Arrive in Athens and fly to Santorini (Aegean). Still looking for hotel, but considering Katikes, Residence, Kirini, etc.

Day Two- Tour Santorini--interested in slow paced and soaking it in--some light shopping in the morning, walking around Oia, visiting a winery, etc.--considering rental of motorbike/scooter for a nice ride around the island--nice dinner out

Day Three--Tour Santorini--visit Fira, visit another winery, afternoon by the pool

Day Four--Depart Santorini for Crete via the High Speed Cat (hopefully!)--considering the Blue Palace in Elounda

Day Five--Spa day

Day Six--Knossos Palace in the morning, afternoon at the beach

Day Seven--visit wineries near Siteia, Panagia Kera near Kritsa

Day Eight--Day trip to Western Crete to visit sites from the Battle of Crete (Maleme, Akrotiri Peninsula- visits to war cemetery, etc.) with stop in Chania if time permits

Day Nine--Flight to Athens--overnight at Grande Bretagne

Day Ten--Misc touring of Athens, shopping, etc.

Day Eleven--Early flight home.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

Dec 18th, 2005, 07:20 PM

Hi

"...considering rental of motorbike/scooter for a nice ride around the island..."

Have you ever ridden one? There are alot of scooter accidents/fatalities on
the Greek Islands involving tourists with crazy romantic notions. If you do a search of this forum there is several threads and opinions on this issue. For not a lot more you can hire a small car.

Happy travels and good luck
Dec 20th, 2005, 04:25 PM

A bit of practical advice would be to get the 'Lane line' ferry from Santorini to either Ag. Nikolaos (nr to Elounda) or Sitia on Crete this is a direct service, make sure you contact several ferry agents in Santorini to check this out.
Dec 20th, 2005, 05:23 PM

I have to agree with worldinabag regarding moped rentals. We rented some in Mykonos and I got in an accident. Nothing too serious, but it scared me. It is harder than you think. And Santorini is very crowded (unless you stay in Oia) so I would advise against it.

I stayed at the Grande Bretagne in Athens and would recommend it. Nice hotel.

Have only been to Santorini on your list, but your plans sound fine! You didn't mention when you are going (summer or winter?) but I highly recommend a visit to the red beach. Also recommend the volcano boat trip and hike to the crater, swim in hot springs (if you are going in summer).

Dec 21st, 2005, 02:12 PM

I wouldn't stay at the Grande Bretagne unless you have money to burn. It's a waste of money - stay at the Attalos and have a nice dinner out for the same amount of money.
Feb 26th, 2006, 08:19 PM

You have good taste in hotels and Grand Bretagne is an excellent top choice. And have dinner on the roof. To compare: Grand Bretagne is cheaper than Katikies, Kirini, and Blue Palace which are all very pricey. We choose Elounda Beach over Blue Palace. What made you choose your lodging in Elounda?
Mar 3rd, 2006, 02:43 PM

Don't skip Chania!
Mar 3rd, 2006, 02:59 PM

loriS:

you have excellent tastes in hotels; I think you'll be sorely dissapointed with Attalos. A lot of people like that hotel, but having grown up in the hotel business, worked in it for many years and a hotel person myself, stick with what you have.

We stayed at what was formerly called Katikies Suites last May while in Santorini, now called Krini. I think you'll love Katikies or Krini.

You like upscale, I can tell.. stick with it