Search

Annecy to Lyon to Avignon drive?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2003, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Annecy to Lyon to Avignon drive?

Hello-
We're visiting Paris for 3 nights and taking TGV to Annecy where we'll stay for 2 nights. We then go to Lyon for 2 nights and end up in Avignon for a week. Appreciate opinion on picking up the car in Annecy and driving the rest of the trip. Is it worth having a car in Annecy?, are there recommended stops between annecy and Lyon that would warrant a car? Thanks.
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 04:49 PM

Hi, Lily,

I was in the Lake Annecy area a year ago September. Whether you need/want a car in Annecy depends largely on:
- where you are staying (Annecy or elsewhere); and,
- what you want to see [e.g., do you want to drive around the lake, go to Geneva for a day or evening (45 minutes away)?].

We stayed in Talloires and had a car to be able to drive to Annecy (where we found lots of underground parking available, though we were not there in summer). There is also a ferry service that connects Annecy with Talloires a few times a day. It runs through mid-September (it ended the day before we arrived), after which time service is suspended til the next year.

If you are staying right in Annecy near the shore and canal area, you will not need a car. It's not that large an area and is easily walkable. The boat ride on the lake is a "must do" -- last about an hour for the regular ride; they have lunch and/or dinner cruises too, I believe.

We always travel by car outside of the major cities in France and find that it provides lots of flexibility. I have not driven between Annecy and Lyon, though it's not that far. You might look into train service, especially if you are stying in Lyon itself and plan to limit your sightseeing to the city. I would think you'd want a car for the Lyon to Avignon trip, but I have not myself driven that route.

Lake Annecy is magic. Enjoy your stay.

John H.
Old Aug 17th, 2003, 04:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
We did the whole trip by car with Lake Annecy as our destination. I find everywhere in France, you will find a spot to appeal to you. In town in Annecy is a gay bar with decent food on the terrace that is a fun place to be.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 03:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your response but wondering if anyone has driven this route and can comment on drive.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 04:50 AM

Hi Lily,
we did the opposite. We flew into Lyon for 2 nights and then rented a car in Lyon and drove to Annency. (from there we went in the opposite direction from you, we went to Burgundy). You really don't need a car in Lyon, small narrow streets, etc. it was easy to get around on foot or bus. The drive to Annency from Lyon was easy, mostly highway that I mapped out using Mapquest. You will definitely want a car in Annency, so that you can tour the villages around the lake and take trips out.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 05:21 AM

Since you really don't need or want a car in Lyon, could you perhaps reverse your visits to Lyon and Annecy? You could take the TGV to Lyon, spend your 2 nights there, then pick up your car somewhere in the outskirts of Lyon and drive to Annecy or, better yet, train to Annecy and pick up the car there. From Annecy you could drive to Provence by way of Chambery (nice town) and Voiron, then pick up the A49 which joins the A7 just south of Valence. This is a pretty area to drive through and it would let you avoid driving in or near Lyon.

A couple of years ago, I drove from Provence to Zurich and getting around Lyon was not fun. It was raining cats and dogs, so I'm sure that made it worse, but I still would not want to drive anywhere near Lyon again.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again. Your suggestions certainly give food for thought. We'd wanted to alternate city and smaller towns so figured we'd follow Paris with Annecy, then Lyon and Provence. I imagined we should have a car in Lyon to visit Perouges et al but maybe it's best to use bus?