Search

Ankara Question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2007, 03:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ankara Question

Rather than flying from Istanbul to Cappadocia, I am considering getting to Cappadocia by way of Ankara. I would take a morning flight from Istanbul to Ankara. I would spend some time there before taking the 4 1/2 drive to Cappadocia at the end of the day.

We enjoy visiting ruins and beautiful countryside. I would appreciate any thoughts, such as whether Ankara or the drive to Cappadocia are good uses of a day.
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 04:49 AM

As a rule, a countries' capital is always worth a visit. The old citadel is certainly worth a visit once you are there. But Ankara is not a thrilling town... and has neither ruins, nor beautiful countryside.

How will you drive from Ankara to Cappadocia? By bus? By private car? I like the Turkish countryside, for its calm and desolate landscapes stretching for miles, with the views on Tuz Golu (Salt lake). Personally, I would be happier with a private car ride from A to C than with the visit of Ankara.

It could depend also on the time you have. Can you fit Ankara in nicely without limiting the necessary time in Cappdocia, then do it. And enjoy the ride from A to C.
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 05:16 AM

The airport is about 45 minutes from downtown Ankara.

For part of a day in Ankara, I would recommend the excellent Anatolian Civilisation Museum and a walk around the citadel. The countryside around the city is very dry and not really spectacular.

Traffic around Ankara can be difficult, and you may need more than 4.5 hours to get to Cappadocia. Highways outside of cities do not have street lights, so you may not wish to drive after dark.
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 05:52 AM

Our daughter taught school at the American Air Base in Ankara, back in the late 80's. It's quite interesting, plenty to see and do and really has everything...from nice hotels, restaurants, museums, markets, modern shops etc. Of course different and more "modern",somewhat less "history" etc than Istanbul but unique in it's own way.
Many people drive to Cappadocia on their own and enjoy the countryside....and I'm sure you can find a tour OR private driver if you want.
You might, if you have time, consider what we did: taking the night train from Istanbul to Ankara. We thought it was fun , very clean, our own compartment, fresh white sheets, good breakfast etc....and to wake up , look out the window to the lovely Anatolian plains was quite interesting.
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 07:27 AM

I did not look forward to spending half a day in Ankara when we went, because I was so anxious to get to Cappadocia. It was great! The Anatolian Museaum is so interesting, and I'm not that much of a Museum person, and the Citadel has a small museum dedicated to Ataturk. If you don't know who he is, you will. He hangs on more walls and has more stuff named after him then almost any other political icon I can think of. He's fascinating and after seeing him everywhere, you will appreciate the opportunity to learn about him. The drive to Cappadocia was boring, like driving thru Kansas. But its less time then flying back to Istanbul and THEN flying to Cappadocia. When we were there, that was the best we could do.
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, all, for your responses.

I like the idea of the Citadel and the museum. Thanks for the tip that there are no ruins. I had an incorrect impression about that. I don't like the idea of spending half the day as if I'm driving through Kansas.

In a related but separate thread, I asked about getting from Cappadocia to Maramis. I wonder if the time I would spend getting from Ankara to Cappadocia would be better spent getting from Cappadocia to Maramis as far as sight-seeing possibilities are concerned.

If others have any other ideas to share, please do. Thanks again to everyone!

Old Jul 21st, 2007, 03:07 AM

Driving from Ankara to Cappadocia is not more than 4 hours if you are in the city center. Mostly you can calcullate 3,5 hours driving.
If you choose the direction Aksaray than a short stop by salt lake can be nice and interesting.

From Cappadocia to Marmaris:
Best is to break the road in between. If you have time enough: Cappadocia, Antalya, Kas, Fethiye, Dalyan Marmaris is a better way to enjoy. If the time is a concern: Cappadocia, Konya, Afyon Denizli, Mugla Marmaris a shorter option.(785 km.s and 14 hours drive required) Still you will need a break.

Happy travelling,

Murat
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Murat.

More questions, if you would please answer them ...

Currently, I have 5 days scheduled to visit Capadoccia and make my way to the coast, where I'll take a ferry to Rhodes. We want to spend at least 3 days in Cappadocia, doing a lot of serious hiking, more than most tourists do.

Understanding all of that, how do you recommend that I use those 5 days? Fly to Izmir to get to the coast? If I use two days to drive to the coast, will I have time to stop at sights along the way? Maybe I'm better off flying to the coast and spending a couple days exploring there? Maybe I should spend 4 days in Cappadocia and use the 5th day to fly to the coast with little sight-seeing?

Thank you in advance for your advice!
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 06:59 AM

Hi Mike,
Allowing 4 days in Cappadocia and driving or flying to the coast is a good idea.
Either way, driving and exploring on the way or to fly to Izmir and explore the coast is also good option. days in Cappadocia will fulfill the must seen sights and also will give you the joy of hiking really.

Regards,
Murat
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 07:00 AM

One more point, if we are talking to drive coast by driving to Izmir, 1 day will be to heavy and rushed. Please bare in mind.
Regards,
Murat
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Murat.

<i>days in Cappadocia will fulfill the must seen sights and also will give you the joy of hiking really.</i>

I think you accidentally left off the number of days. Were you recommending 3 or 4?

Where will we see the most ruins -- on the drive to the coast or along the coast itself?

Though we've already been to Ephesus, we may prefer seeing ruins not yet seen even though other ruins won't be so awesome. We're also not sure that we'll have enough time to visit Pergamon.

Thanks again for your help!