Cappadocia: Urgup or Goreme?

Old Jan 11th, 2004, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cappadocia: Urgup or Goreme?

I will be in Turkey in May/June. While in Cappadocia should I stay in Urgup or Goreme? I would appreciate it if you would provide info on reasonably priced accomodations when you reply. Is three nights enough for this area? We will only be in Turkey for 18 days. Thanks!
Old Jan 11th, 2004, 01:50 PM
sandi

You'll only be in Turkey for 18 days. How lucky?

Yes 3 days are enough in Cappadocia area, but I can't recommend any particular accommodations. Though would suggest you fly into, I believe, it's Kayseri and rent a car to get around the area.

Where else besides Cap, Aegean Coast and IST will you be visiting, lucky you!

Old Jan 11th, 2004, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Sandi: Still trying to figure that out! I hope someone can recommend some nice towns along the south and west coast. I am looking forward to it! We are planning on flying to Cappadocia and renting a car. Any recommendations for rental agency's? I have heard that Sixt is a good agency. I usually rent through Kemwel for auto rentals in Europe.
Old Jan 11th, 2004, 05:56 PM

Hi eurotraveller,

Yes 3 night is OK for cappadocia for 1st visitors BUT recommend 4 or 5 days because there are many places to see and many activities there like walking IHLARA CANYON (Almost takes full day).

If I were I would stay in 1 day URGUP 2 days in GOREME. There are many hotels in both town. I recommend YUNAK EVLERI for URGUP
www.yunakevleri.com (They havea also free tranfer from Kayseri Airport. I am sure some other hotelsin area do the same things). Or ELKEP EVI
http://www.elkepevi.com/

In Goreme you may stay in OTTOMAN HOUSE really different hotel

http://www.ottomanhouse.com.tr/cappadocia.htm

18 day is OK for first visitors because you can cover some area IF YOU RENT A CAR and USE during your trip.

I recommend you go to ANKARA intead of Flying Cappadocia. Because there are some place that YOU HAVE TO VISIT.
Like Amatolian Civilisation Museum which is very important museum in Turkey and Ankara Castle is very different taste (Next the museum) Ataturk Mauseleum and Temple of Augustos and Haci Bayram Mosque is the place you must see.
After ankara you may drive to Cappadocia VIA HATTUSHA where was the capital city of HITTITE one of the oldes visilisation in Anatolia (We call the asian side of Turkey). and ALACAHOYUK, YAZILIKAYA other places EVERY TOURIST HAVE TO SEE. (You may stay in here 1 night IF YOU WANT TO SEE REAL LIFE OF TURK)

After Cappadocia. You may drive to KONYA where you can see some RELIGIOUS side of Turkey, then to Antalya. You can stay in OLD ANTALYA where I suggest you. There are many small old house converted to HOTEL in this area. You must stay 3 nights to see some ruins and beatiful area like KURSUNLU WATERFALL is my favorite. I think this is the PARADISE OF THE WORLD (Maybe my world when you get there you may tell me).

After Antalya you may follow the med shore There are many ruins that you can not imagine every 20 or 30 miles but after Antalya you first stop to sleep would be Kas or Kalkan this small towns has own beauties.

I am not writing any ruings name here because you will see many If I write you may confuse, I know that you also search this area even if you give you full detailed tour. Between Kas and Fethiye there are many places to see and also swimm when I say swimm you have to prepare yourself to swimm before this because you will go to SUNKEN-CITY After Antalya or if you stay in Kalkan 2 days you will have daily excursion to this beatiful ruin and you will also swimm here(NOT IN THE RUIN but close the ruin)

AFTER FETHIYE YOU MUST DRIVE TO PAMUKKALE or stay in Marmaris to have 4 days GULET(Turkish Cruise TOUR) But I recommend you do this tour for second time means another year. You may see the PAMUKKALE then drive to AFRODISIAS or on the way to PAMUKKALE you may visit this BEATIFUL RUINS, some people believe that ruins are not beatiful BUT FOR ME YES they are sooo BEATIFUL, anyhow let continue or trip.

After Pamukkale and AFRODISIAS you may drive to KUSADASI you may stay in KUSADASI or SELCUK but you have to stay 3 days there WHY? becasue you will visit EPHESUS, and it museum ST JEAN CHURCH and VIRGIN MARY'S HOUSE and oen of the SEVEN WONDERS OF THE WORLD (Turkey has 2 of them)ARTEMISSION and another day you can visit PRIENNE, MILETUS and DIDYMA another full day for you, and PLEASE don't miss the SIRINCE. This is the small town show you GREEK and TURKISH CULTURE and ART. If you want you can stay 1 night one of the nive hotel here. Then drive to North of Turkey via Izmir. There is nice ruins in Izmir and also museum BUT they are not easy to find for TOURISTS so you may drive to PERGAMUM to see the city of PERGAMUM and HOSPITAL on the way to city of Pergamum you may visit RED BASILICA which is nice building on your right. then same day you may continue drive to CANAKKALE skip to see TROIA you can see the next days because there are many places to observe in PERGAMUM and TROIA so follow my recomendation DON'T go. The day after you can visit troia then visit INDEPENDENCE WAR MUSEUM and around If you want to go this place you have to pass DARDANESS to EUROPIAN SIDE of Turkey then drive back to Istanbul.

If you have time you may drive to BURSA instead of driving to Istanbul back because BURSA was the first CAPITAL CITY OF OTTOMAN so there are many places to visit. If you go there you may get some cheap and nice SILK shirts and other stuff.

When you come to Istanbul at least you have to stay 4 days here becasue tons of tons places are waiting for TOURIST visit. I am not going to write them here because many people mentioned them here BUT if you need I ALWAYS HERE TO HELP.

Have a WANDERFUL TRIP IN TURKEY

Sinan Akdeniz
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 08:21 AM

Hi Eurotraveller,

Stay in Urgup if you want more choice of upscale cave hotels. Urgup is the main town of the area. Having said that Goreme is more village like with more authantic nature. In any case distances around towns are not more than 6 to 10 km.s only. ( Nevsehir, Goreme, Uchisar, Ortahisar, Urgup, Avanos, Mustafapasa )

You will be seeing them all most probably.

Need names of hotels still ?

Your budget will be a point of decision making... Between 40Usd to 250 Usd a night B&B is the range.

Hope to see u in Cappadocia

Best Regards,

Murat
[email protected]
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 06:38 AM

I had a very nice stay at elkep evi in Ugurp. Great staff, wonderful cave rooms.

http://www.elkepevi.com/

For something even more exotic, you might try the Giramisu (sp?), which is in a small village - a rental car is required. I haven't stayed there, but I've seen it, and the surroundings are remarkable.