Andalusia Itinerary

Mar 29th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Andalusia Itinerary

We will be visiting Andalusia for two weeks in early May. Our itinerary was set-or so I thought until I began to read more about the region. I would like to know how veteran travelers to the area might alter the later part of our trip, particularly the last four days.

Sevilla 3 nights (rent a car upon departure)
Cordoba 2 nights (visit Ubeda & Baeza en route to Granada)
Granada 3 nights
Ronda 2 nights
Carmona 2 nights
Last night ??? fly early morning from Sevilla to Madrid.

Should we try to stay an extra night in Arcos or Jerez in lieu of two in Carmona? What sort of things could we do with two nights in Carmona save for the necropolis and the town itself.

Thank you for your thoughts. I booked accomodation almost one year ago and shouldn't second guess myself but it is a big trip for us and I can't resist!

Best,
Mar 29th, 2007, 11:48 AM

Carmona is a town big enough to spend a couple days. With so many beautiful buildings, I would skip the necropolis, unless you are really interested. From Carmona you can visit Marchena or Fuentes de Andalucia, where you can find basically the same kind of buildings; a little furter are Ecija (all the way hiway) with impressive towers, or Osuna, with San Pedro street, every house a Palace, no joke.
IMO, I see no point in going to Jerez, and Arcos is beautiful, but basically similar to Ronda. I'd skip extra moving and rest in your last days of the journey.
Mar 29th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Josele-many thanks. I should have read this posting before responding to the last. Your suggestions are most appreciated. I feel confident that my initial impulse to book the end of our tour in Carmona was the right one. It sounds like a divine place to relax after a busy tour.

I assume that you are suggestion a drive to Carmona through the smaller roads leading out from Ronda to the north west, is this correct?

I am not familiar with the majority of the towns you mentioned as potential destinations from Carmona. I look forward to reading all about them tonight.

One other quick question, did you visit the Pueblos Blancos located to the south and south west of Ronda? What did you think?

Best,
Mar 29th, 2007, 02:20 PM

As I dont think you'll be in a hurry, drive from Ronda to Algodonales-->Puerto Serrano-->Moron de la Frontera-->Marchena-->Carmona. 140 km, 2h.30 min, but you'll sure make stops.
South of Ronda, you mean Alpandeire, Farajan, Juzcar, etc? or maybe others?
Mar 29th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Josele-

Once again, thanks for your suggestions. When I asked about towns to the south/southwest, I was thinking of Gaucin, Jimena de la Frontera and Medina Sidonia amongst others. As we plan to take your suggested route north and stay in Carmona, this option is no longer for us. Still, I was curious about these places as I haven't heard much mention on this site.

Thanks as well for your posting to the pueblos blancos query.

Best
Mar 29th, 2007, 11:14 PM

That is a tour I recmmend for those staying in the coast, Casares-->Gaucin-->Jimena-->Castellar. I've done it several times to paint landscapes and rural scenery. From Ronda I make Algatocin (side trip to Alpandeire which is very beautiful)-->Cortes de la Frontera-->Ubrique-->Grazalema. Stoppind in towns alond the way. Late April I may be going back.
Mar 30th, 2007, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

You are a wealth of information Josele! I assume that you are a resident of the area, or the very least a frequent visitor. May I ask what your favorite place/village/sight may be? I have been reading so much on the region and it all sounds magical. I have a strong feeling that each day will be full of wonderful sites and scenes.

Best,
Mar 30th, 2007, 03:35 PM

It is very beautiful the view of Zahara when you get there from Algodonales, the road is on top of the dam, and you see the town across the water. Arriving in Carmona from Marchena you'll enjoy as well, when you see the town on the hill. Shall write more tomorrow, it is late.
Mar 31st, 2007, 10:33 AM

Ok, here is the update:
You can visit Arcos the day you move to Carmona starting early and taking road A-376 to Seville/Jerez; Pass AlgodonalesàVillamartinàBornos and Arcos. Follow signs to Parador and youíll reach the main square on top of the town, with the church of Sta.Maria (donít miss the gate facing west!!!) and the Balcony. Park in this square if you can, there is no other place. Short walk to church San Pedro (the one you see left from the balcony. Depending on time, you can have lunch at the Parador, or continue driving back again, and passing Villamartin, left to Puerto Serrano and Montellano. Here is THE other recommendation for lunch: La Posada de Montellano, from Arcos is a 50km., 45min drive. Visit the web www.laposadademontellano.com . Always phone before , just in case. From here just follow the already said route to Carmona. As usual I recommend first thing in Carmona (as in everyplace) going to the tourist office to get maps and recs.
Restaurants in Carmona: The Parador (check to have a window table!!!!); and San Fernando (it is a rest., but I recommend eat tapas-style: raciones). There are many others, as the Molino de la Romera (Murallas del Mirador, very near the Parador, a pleasant walk as well, towards Alcazar de Sevilla), but I recommend the first two.
When you see how many palaces/churches there are in Carmona, you'll see there's no need for any other town.
I live in Malaga and am a painter, I travel frequently, looking for subjects. Email me for my website.
Apr 1st, 2007, 08:40 AM

I would allow for a couple night on the coast--Marbella perhaps. We had a wonderful stay there last May despite the naysayers who insist the place is overrun with pasty-white Englishmen.