Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Suggested Itinerary, White Hill Towns en route from Granada to Sevilla?

Jan 17th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

We will be leaving Granada by car, spending the following night in Arcos della Frontera and the next night in Sevilla. So, will have 2 days to explore the white towns and countryside and/or Atlantic coast, possibly including Ronda, Pileta Cave, Grazelma, Zahara, Jerez, Medinos Sidonia, Vejer de la Frontera, Cadiz. Obviously, can't do all of that, so we're looking for a reasonable route/itinerary.... thanks for any thoughts about this.
Jan 17th, 2011, 03:01 PM

Even with a stop in Ronda, I imagine you can pick up Grazelema and El Bosque on the way to Arcos. I may have missed some good stuff, but my experience has been that the white villages are something you drive through rather than spend much time in. The area is beauftiful and villages also but I've never found much to hold me in them. I stand to be corrected.

If you do get Ronda and the village done on the first day, I'd drop over to Jerez for day two, or maybe go on down to one of my favorites, Sanlucar de Barrameda. If you do go to Sanlucar, be sure to catch the daily auction of the catch at the docks of Bonanza [about 3 N. of Sanlucar]. It's daily starting at 3 pm and one of the most memorable sights I have seen anywhere in the world. About 35 boats all trying to dock on about 200 feet of wharf. Wham, Bam,. and everyone hustling to get their catch to the auction first! A true winner!
Jan 18th, 2011, 12:42 PM

Clic on my name and read my White Towns trip report, with timings and driving details.
Grazalema and Zahara are towns you should indeed stop and walk for some time. Others such as Algodonales or Benamahoma are just towns with whitewashed houses and no remarkable feature, but not lacking charm.
Jan 19th, 2011, 07:50 AM

Make sure you leave yourself some time for Ronda, it is one of the jewels of the region.