Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Andalucia itinerary help -- too hot in late June, car necessary?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2012, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm wondering if it will be too hot and uncomfortable to explore the hill towns in late June, and if I do, is a car a must?
Itinerary so far.
Barcelona - 4 nights
Cadaques - 3 nights
Madrid - 4 nights
Segovia - 1 night
Cordoba - 2 nights
Granada - 2 nights
Then I am thinking of spending June 23 to 30 renting a car and heading to Nerja for a few nights for some ocean time and then a few nights in Ronda and environs en route to Sevilla. Then again, buses and trains would work too.
Sevilla - 3 nights
the Algarve (Salema, I think) - 5 nights
Any feedback on the heat, the car rental, the itinerary would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old May 7th, 2012, 06:20 AM

I can only speak for the Andalusian region....Seville, Ronda, Cordoba, Granada, Malaga....and the white towns/villages in between.

We were there starting mid-June, 2011. It was truly HOT! Even if you start early in the morning, by mid-day the sun is scorching. And this is coming from somebody who loves hot weather.

We did have a car, and we would go back to our <i>finca</i> for a siesta before venturing out again in late afternoon. We were in the region for more than 2 weeks, so there was no hurry to see all the sights at once.
Old May 7th, 2012, 08:12 AM

It will normally be hot in Andalucía in late June, but the temperatures use to rise through July and August so it's not peak temperature time. At the coast (Nerja/Málaga) you could expect some highs around 85F - lows around 68, and to me that's perfectly fine with the sea breeze and everything.

Inland (Sevilla, Córdoba, Granada) will often be some 10F higher.
Old May 7th, 2012, 08:15 AM

As already noted, it will be warm by late June at all of your destinations, especially inland Andalucia. Sevilla is already in the lower 90s and it's only the first week of May. The Algarve should be a little cooler. But that being said, touring the white villages will not be difficult if you have a car, remember to park it in the shade and wear dark glasses.

The problem is sleeping at night. It can be in the upper 90s at midnight, if not hotter, in late June, so having a hotel with A/C should be a requirement if you want to get any sleep. It just doesn't cool down that much at night in most on the inland locations except for Granada, because of its elevation. If the siroccos are blowing, all bets are off in finding a cool breeze anywhere in Andalucia.
Old May 7th, 2012, 09:07 AM

Teh coast can be al ittle cooler - but as soon as you go inalnd it gets hot as hell - often 100 degrees and more. (We go in April and the temps are in the 80s). You need hotels and are with good AC - and pool at the hotel to cool off if yuo get a really hot spell (Seville has had temps of almost 120 in the summer).
Old May 7th, 2012, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Yikes. Thanks, everyone. That gives me a lot to ponder. I may need to rejig things and spend more time on the coast. I'm a 'wet' coast Canadian who wilts in high temps.
I appreciate all your feedback.