Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Andalucia choices in late July (10 days, not TOO rushed)

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2010, 12:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
I have asked in a few forums and gotten some suggestions (such as not to spend TOO much time in Ronda and not to use as a base as it is remote. So I have made a few alternative plans and wonder how doable (or fun) they would be for a trip of 10 days starting the last day or so of July.

One suggestion was to use Seville as a bade.It looks like Ronda is a 3 hour trip from Seville. So using Seville as a base might not completely work, though does seem better than basing mainly in Ronda (or so I gather).

We mainly plan to use the bus or train. We do not have a lot of money, but where we could find a sunny country side hotel, we prefer that to an old hotel in a noisy are of town.

Also, although there is good bus transport to Algeceris from Seville, we were told that Ronda to Algeceris is a very beautiful route. So now we are even more eager to figure out a good route.

1) We have 10 days in all from Madrid back to Madrid.

2) Would not like to arrive in Madrid more tired than when we started.

3) Not sure if we NEED to see Malaga. For example, if we go to Tarif or Cadiz it seems we won't see ugly hotels. On the other hand, if Malaga is a better hub, we can understand that going there might be worthwhile:

So have two possibilities so far:

Assuming NO Malaga, what do you think of something like this, giving up the idea of Ronda as a base:

a) Madrid to Granada

Granada to Seville

(or skip Granada and just go to Seville)

Then

b) Stay in Seville--visit Cordoba

c)Go to Ronda

Stay there

d) Go to

Algeciras via scenic route from Ronda

e) Take overnight trip to Morocco inclusive of hotel (heard it is cheaper than two one ways)

f) Algerciras to either Cadiz or Tarif

g) stay there and then

Cadiz or Tari to Madrid

or back to

Algerciras and back to Madrid

(seems we would have to stay somewhere-either Algerciras or Cadia)

4) Alternatively, going from Seville or Granada to Malaga and then making THAT a base to go to Algeceris-Morocco-Tarif, but still the question of Ronda---Algeceris? Perhaps something like this:

a) Seville--Cordoba Seville---Granada

Granada to Malaga

b) Stay in Malaga and do a trip to Cadiz/Tarif and other areas like Donana national park

c) Go to Algerceris-Morroco

d) Go Algecersis to Ronda

e) Ronda to Madrid

On paper it looks ok, but you know better than I do. Which of the above is better, or maybe neither?

We COULD rent a car, though I suspect that would add to the tension as neither of us drives regularly in Tokyo (me in 15 years, wife once a year when she visits her hometown)

Thanks in advance and sorry for the more complex questions.
Old May 26th, 2010, 12:48 AM

Sorry to say that, but do NOT go to Andalucia in late July. You will be baked (and many places do not have A/C). There are many recent threads on that topic (I remember one post saying that relatives from Andalucia were spending their summers in Southern California to enjoy the coolness there).

Andalucia is perfect in spring and also from late October to November. But avoid it during July/August under all circumstances. Seriously.

For July, August consider northern Spain. Cantabria and the Basque country will be very agreeable. All other places in Spain will be hot. Madrid will be very hot and Andalucia will be extremely hot.
Old May 26th, 2010, 02:57 AM

Temperatures in Toledo can reach 45C (118F) in July and other inland areas aren't much cooler. Córdoba is as hot. Granada maybe around 40C. Beach areas will be packed, and prices rise.
I'd seriously rethink about going to Andalucia, unless all you want is to laze by swimming pool under a parasol and cool drink. It's just too hot for sightseeing or any other outdoor activities.
Old May 26th, 2010, 03:02 AM

Sorry I meant Seville, not Toledo (though it's also very hot - I was there once in early August with a temp of 42C).
Old May 26th, 2010, 07:43 AM

Well of course I would go to San Sebastian for the entire time but the correct answer to your question is either b - go to Seville and stay there or g -Cadiz and back to Madrid. (for swimming in 100 degree heat.)
Old May 26th, 2010, 10:32 AM

Can only agree that you consider the weather - esp as you seem to want to stay in modest places in the country - probably without AC.

We have been to the area twice - both in later April - when the temps were already in the 80s, AC was needed in hotels (plus pools) and car - and everyone was swimming in the sea as well. I can;t imagine being there in July- and if yo are you need to realize that sightseeing is early am or evening - midday will just be too hot.

Can;t comment on travel by train or bus since we did car - but I think it will really cut into your sightseeing time. Ronda,, while a cute village - is in the center of the mountains and will take forever to get anywhere else. Definitely great for a visit but not to stay unless you have a long trip and you want to spend a lot of time in the country.
Old May 26th, 2010, 11:16 AM

Paula, I hate to be a party pooper--I so much prefer to post affirmations or alternatives rather than prohibitions. But I kept checking back** on your post title and I finally decided it would be morally wrong if I didn't say something.

My knee-jerk reaction was that "Boiled Alive" might be your post-trip title.

I love Andalucia; I cannot even fathom touring it in July. And this is coming from a person whose family liked going to Miami, FL in August for the warm ocean water.

I do hope you can come up with an alternative itinerary that would interest you and at the same time, promise you some sort of climate comfort. And I so wish you a return trip to Spain in spring or fall so that you could fully enjoy this lovely area.

*By way of explanation, I've been knee-deep researching HVAC/Air Quality issues online all morning, and taking a break to read or post here has been my mental salvation from "making sure your ERV intake and outtake is balanced" or "Should one choose activated core filtering systems?" reading. Now that I think about it, touring Andalucia in late July just MIGHT be better than the HVAC research. But only barely.
Old May 26th, 2010, 10:56 PM

Hi paularenson. Mid-July to mid-August are the hottest days of the year in Southern Spain. Whilst is bearable in the coast, it is very dry in the interior (Cordoba, Granada, Seville, Ronda), unbearable from 2,00 to 5,00 PM, the timeshift I rec to visit churches. Nowadays there's AC practically everywhere, but you'll be walking on the streets most of the time. Now, if you are coming south anyway, I rec you stay in Malaga and make your daytrips from here, by bus or train, it is very well comunicated.
Old May 27th, 2010, 07:02 AM

These posts must be a bummer for the OP. The positive is that you can probably get cheaper hotels and rental cars. Why not do a trip like we did last July and hit Barcelona for a few days then San Sebastian for 5 days? My favorite cities in the world are Seville and San Sebastian. Plan your next trip to Andalucia in spring or fall for next year.
Old May 29th, 2010, 11:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all very much.

Will be working on alternative points. We may still stay in ROnda as then can get to Seville easily enough....

And a friend based in Granada (Peligros) may come by and go around with us.