Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ancient Sites - Paestum, Pompeii or Herculaneum?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am just starting to put together the itinerary for our Amalfi Coast trip May 2008.

My husband is a history buff, studied Latin, and loves anicent ruins. I don't really want to see all three of these, as we plan to see Ravello, Sorrento, Amalfi, Vietri, and are staying in Postiano, so want to wander around a bit there and relax.

We will be staying for a week in Positano, and 4 days on Capri.

I wanted to make a list of perhaps MUST see anicent site, next most wanted ancient site to see, and then the if we have time ancient site to see, since we can't see them all.

Can anyone tell me from personal experience what they liked/didn't like about any of the ones we are considering?
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 04:04 PM

We spent 8 days in Sorrento and visited all the sites you mentioned.
The guided tour to Paestum was worthwhile, and we enjoyed Hercolano a bit more than Pompeii.

My interests coincide with your husband's, and the highlight for me was the Archeological Museum in Naples that contains many of the finest pieces from Pompeii, Hercolano, and other sites.

Since you're the planner, you get to tell your husband what the itinerary will be. Given your criteria, I would suggest a day trip to Paestum and on another day a visit to the Museum in the morning followed by an afternoon visit to Hercolano.

Positano is a gorgeous place, and we enjoyed staying there on an earlier trip. It is a real pain being there, especially if your hotel is at some considerable distance from the main road, if you intend to move around on frequent day trips, and that is why we chose Sorrento.

Capri is stunning but if you have an opportunity to visit Ischia I think you may find it, overall, a more interesting island.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 04:22 PM

If you want to see Greek temples, Paestum
If you want to see an amazing roman city I would pick Pompeii over Herculaneum.
They are very different and both well worth visiting. (So are the archeological museum in Naples and Herculaneum but you wanted top picks)

On Capri your husband will get to explore Tiberius's Villa Jovis so maybe you can convince him you are choosing another ancient site for him by going there.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

We really don't want to venture into Naples...

VTtraveler - what was it you liked about Pompeii vs. Herculaneum. I've read the ruins are better preserved at Herculaneum (??)
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 03:38 AM

I have read accounts/explanations of why the two cities were affected differently during the erruption of Vesuvius. Basically for the tourist they mean that Herculeaneum was covered in a way that preserved the individual buildings there better.
Pompeii was a larger city (I think about 20,000 inhabitants versus 5000) and the excavated area is much larger and gives a better overall sense of what a Roman town/resort was like which is why I would choose it if I had to pick one. They are both amazing.

Pompeii is definitely the more visited of the two