How many days in Pompeii

Sep 14th, 2009, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

How many days in Pompeii

My sister suggested staying overnight in Pompeii. We are going to amalfi coast thanksgiving day for 8 days. Is there enough to see to warrant an overnight stay in Pompeii. Thanks for your help
Sep 14th, 2009, 06:41 AM

Do you mean the ruins (scavi) or the town of Pompeii. I've only been to the ruins (twice) and spent 5 hours there the second time; about 3 hours the first time.

I recommend an overnight in Naples to see the Archeology Museum, housing many of the Pompeii artifacts. Then visit Herculanium (Ercolano) and continue to Pompeii Scavi the next day. Ercolano is very different from Pompeii and well worth a visit but as it's smaller you can spend less time there.

You can easily do all of the above by train, if you don't have a car.

I have only been to Pompeii once, but can't see any reason to stay overnight there. Frankly, I don't even recall any discussions regarding hotels in that area.

Pompeii has a lot to offer. You need a full day to really get everything out of it. The village and the church are worth spending time in also. This is a wonderful hotel walking distance from the train station and the scavi. http://www.hotelforum.it/ I would spend at least one night so you can experience everything.
Sep 14th, 2009, 01:22 PM

I agree with adrienne's suggestions. We've spent the equivalent of two full days at Pompeii and Ercolano over multiple trips and still haven't seen everything. I probably wouldn't try to see both in the same day. I'd spend the morning at the archeology museum in Naples and the afternoon at Ercolano, or vice versa. And, if you research Naples a little, you'll see the city has many other treasures you might want to see.
Sep 14th, 2009, 06:15 PM

there are some recommended hotels and several fine restaurants in and around Pompeii town (Il Principe and Il Presidente both highly recommended but which I havent tried, Zi Caterina, less expensive which I liked very much, etc. which is perfectly fine as a local base with all of its train connections to Naples and south. the buses to Vesuvius take off from Pompeii town too, these days. One day is fine for the Pompeii scavi. Do dip into Naples a bit. For me the Capodimonte museum, spaccanapoli and the food were more worthwhile than the Archeological museum after Pompeii, but different tastes. Foodwise, Cantina della Sapienza is on Via della Sapienza, very close to the Arch museum, good for a simple lunch, many veg dishes, grilled cheese etc and convivial atmosphere, or walk down to Via Tribunale for a pizza meal. have a great trip!
Sep 17th, 2009, 09:25 AM

Zi Caterina is delicious.