Search

Amsterdam's Hotel Washington: Location and ownership

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11th, 2005, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amsterdam's Hotel Washington: Location and ownership

Hello,
We are considering booking 3 nights at the Hotel Washington in March. I have two questions. First, is the location ok? We are in our late-twenties and active but don't want to be too far away from restaurants and attractions. We like all types of food, don't have a strict budget, and plan on visiting the Anne Frank House, museums (close to those), and other places TBD.
Second, I read on Trip Advisor that the ownership will be changing in January. This makes me nervous because all of the reviews comment on how great the current owners are. Should I just book and monitor trip advisor for any problems?
Thanks for your advice!
Liz
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 07:25 AM

It might be helpful to reiterate the location of the hotel. Do you know if it is close to tram lines/public transport?
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Here is a link describing their location and a map:
http://www.hotelwashington.nl/pages/location.asp

"Hotel Washington is situated in a very quiet area near the "Concert Gebouw” (concert hall) and the cultural centre of Amsterdam. The main Dutch museums, i.e the Rijksmuseum, the Van Gogh museum and the Museum of Modern Arts, are in the vicinity of our hotel.
The city centre is within walking distance, and you will find several tram lines crossing our neighbourhood. They provide a good connection to Schiphol airport, via the central train station or the South/WTC train station.
Adress
Frans van Mierisstraat 10
1071 RS Amsterdam
The Netherlands

Old Dec 11th, 2005, 07:51 AM

No area in the city is truly "near" every possible place people like to see/go to. Lots of folks adore being in the Jordaan, for example, whereas I have always preferred being in other areas which are closer to the things I enjoy doing at night.

i can think of MANY worse places to be than near the Museumplein, especially if you are planning on doing the museums. If the tram is close I, personally, would consider this location to be OK. When I'm in the city I always end up taking the tram somewhere.

Your concern about the ownership seems valid but one wonders how key that ownership is to the comfort of the place. It certain doesn't in any way affect the location.

I know this is nothing concrete you can bite into and qualifies more as a "musing"...

If you like the looks, the rates, the location then I would be willing to chance the ownership change.

Have a great trip.
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 09:08 AM

I don't know if this helps at all, but Belgian friends of ours who travel a lot for business to Amsterdam always stay at the HOtel Washington. They recommend it highly. We tried to stay there while visiting last summer, but it was completely booked.

Good luck!
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 10:00 AM
yk

Hi Tim and Liz-

I stayed at Hotel Washington back in May of this year. I like the location - as you said, close to Van Gogh and Rijksmuseum, plus to Concertgebouw. If you like classical music, you must try to attend a concert at Concertgebouw. It was one of the highlights of my trip (the acoustics is amazing there).

There are 2 tram stations nearby the hotel, which is adequate to get you anywhere in the city. It is quiet around the area at night, but is only a few tram stops from Leidesplein.

I can't say much about the change of ownership - except that I agree the current folks there are very nice and helpful.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all, we will stick with our reservation at the Hotel Washington and report back.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 06:39 PM

Here's a neighborhood restaurant that you'll thank your lucky stars that you found. We stumbled upon it and ate there two nights out of three in A'dam: Concertje, near the concert hall.

http://www.diningcity.com/amsterdam/...e/index_eng.js
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 06:52 AM

The last character of your link is missing:

http://www.diningcity.com/amsterdam/.../index_eng.jsp
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 07:43 PM

Uh-oh! Thanks a bunch, Travelnut.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 10:45 PM

I like that area. More quiet than being on the canals, but still central. Nearby restaurants that I like are Le Garage, Brasserie van Baerle. There's also the Cornelis Schuytstraat; a lovely street with small shops and restaurants.
Have a good time in Amsterdam!
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 05:08 AM

Liz, I was sad to see that ownership was changing given how many positive reviews I've read about their exemplary service. I've had a couple of email exchanges with them just this week in order to make a reservation for 2006. I mentioned the change of ownership, and Johan responded that it was time to retire and that they "have looked a long time and think we have found the right person." He also encouraged me to keep checking Trip Advisor. Since my trip isn't until the fall, I feel comfortable making a reservation now and cancelling it if I start to read any bad reviews and/or the price goes up considerably.

Hope that helps.

Kate