Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which neighborhood in Amsterdam is the best for 1st time visitors to stay in?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 11:21 AM
xxx

We will be visiting in Oct. and want a place centrally located to all the sites and sounds of Amsterdam.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 11:50 AM
Vincent

Red Light District. Very interesting for 1st time.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 01:49 PM
Alice

Yes, the red light district would be ver-r-r-y interesting, but probably that is not what xxx really wants to know. I've stayed near Leidseplein and Vondelpark area, and really liked it. Was grateful that we didn't stay near Dam Square or red light district either. Amsterdam central is not a really large area, and the tram system is great for getting around. Others might recommend the Jordaan, which is closer to Dam and Centraal Station, but is a nice 'gentrified' area. A third area is a little further off than the Leidseplein, and that is the Museum area, near the Van Gogh and Rijksmuseums. I hope you don't have any problems booking a hotel for October, a little short notice. Try www.bookings.nl, a great resource. We have stayed at AMS Hotel Terdam ($150-175 dbl), and this Oct we're staying at AMS Hotel Holland ($90 dbl).

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 01:52 PM
Grasshopper

I agree with Alice. Stay in the Museum district and take the tram. It's so easy and you'll be glad you're not in the Dam area at the end of the day.<BR><BR>I like Hotel Fita. www.fita.nl

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 05:49 PM
abc

The museum quarter is good but I suggest staying in a hotel on one of the major canals such as the Estherea or Ambassade hotel. There are a few others; check one of the major guidebooks. Central Amsterdam is not that big; you can walk to most places from either location.

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 07:10 AM
Julie

<BR>I'm with abc on this one. The Brouwer is on a major canal, the Singel, in the Grachtengordel. It's a great little hotel, but will most probably be booked solid for October. Still, it's worth a try. A double room costs 80 Euros a night, including breakfast. <BR><BR>If you've got more money to spare, try the Canal House Hotel or the Toren on Keizersgracht, the Seven Bridges on Reguliersgracht, or Hotel Wiechmann on Prinsengracht.<BR><BR>If you've got loads of money, try Seven One Seven on Prinsengracht.