Amsterdam - what to do when

Aug 25th, 2015, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Amsterdam - what to do when

I'm looking at the weather forecast and trying to figure out indoor vs outdoor activities for Amsterdam - we'll be there Fri-Mon. (I realize this is folly, but humor me). Do you think we would spend more time in the Rijksmuseum or the Van Gogh Museum? I'm buying tickets for both ahead, but the Van Gogh ones are timed, so I want to pick a morning or afternoon that looks to be not so nice out. I'm thinking that the Rijksmuseum is much bigger and will take a big chunk of time, is that right?

Also, do you think it necessary to make restaurant reservations ahead, since we'll be there over a weekend? If so, any recommendations in De Pjip?

Thanks so much,
Alice
Aug 25th, 2015, 02:14 PM

Hi Alice,

How much time you spend in either museum really depends on what you like. When I was in Amsterdam in December, I spent more time in the Van Gogh museum. It's one of my favorite museums anywhere. The Rijksmuseum is much larger so you could spend an entire day there and probably not see it all. They do have a 90 minute "best of" tour (using their audio guide) that is very well done, if you want just the highlights.

For dinner in the De Pjip area, I recommend ZaZa's (Daniël Stalpertstraat 103, T. +31 (0) 20 673 6333, http://zazas.nl/). It's a small restaurant on a side street. Doesn't look like much from the outside but the food is excellent. One of the nicest meals I had while staying in Amsterdam. I made reservations ahead of time. Not sure if it was necessary, however.

Diane
Aug 25th, 2015, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Diane. And ZaZa's is oompletely booked the entire time we're there! Must be good.

Alice
Aug 25th, 2015, 06:04 PM

It has been several years, but we spent about twice as much time at the Van Gogh Museum. Such total involvement with the work of one artist is a rare experience. Seriously, my DD stood in front of some of the Van Gogh paintings in tears.
Aug 25th, 2015, 07:06 PM

We had great steaks and the best fries at Cafe Loetje between the museums and DePijp. Spent the better part of a morning at the Rijksmuseum, walked to a late lunch and then back to Van Gogh for our timed entry. One of the best vacation days ever.
Aug 25th, 2015, 07:12 PM
kja

"I'm buying tickets for both ahead, but the Van Gogh ones are timed, so I want to pick a morning or afternoon that looks to be not so nice out."

My adivce would be to book the earliest morning time that works for you. If you are satisfied with what you have seen, you can leave! If you book a later time, and it proves insufficient, you're out of luck.
Aug 26th, 2015, 06:12 AM

topping, thanks for this question!