First visit to Amsterdam

Search

First visit to Amsterdam

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2004, 04:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First visit to Amsterdam

We are thinking about visiting Amsterdam in the Fall. We are interested in cultural things--museums (Van Gogh in particular), classical concerts, etc.

Would a three day visit be adequate? What are some of the higghlights of the city.

Please share your personal experiences, no websites please.

Thanks.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 04:54 AM

I won't give the website, but if you add .nl to Concertgebouw you will be able to (and should) go on and get tickets. One of the best concert halls in the world - "don't miss".

I went for 5 days in the spring and ended up skipping a lot of things I really wanted to do. Wish we had planned one or two more days.

Even if you do only museums, three days may be too short.

Highlights for me were cafe stops and long walks through: the canal rings (best for staying, IMHO), the pijp, the jordaan, and (to a lesser extent) the old city.

Native cuisine is so-so. Best bets are French, Belgian, and Indonesian restaurants.

Old Jun 16th, 2004, 05:22 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The Anne Frank museum is a must. I also enjoyed getting out into the countryside and seeing the windmills. Watch out for bikes!
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 05:45 AM

I would recommend the Amsterdam Pass while you are there, available at the VVV, directly across from Centraal Station or on the Leidesplein. It covers most museums (not Anne Frank), two canal cruises, and bus/tram travel.

In addition to the "big three" museums and Anne Frank House, we also enjoyed visiting the Amsterdam Historical Museum, the Resistance Museum, the Rembrandt House, the Oude Kerk, the Amstelkring and the Joods Historic Museum, all available on the Amsterdam Pass.

While you are there, check out the Nieuwe Kerk on Dam Square as they have different exhibitions. When we were there in 2001, they had a special exhibit, The Way to Heaven" which featured reliquaries from all over Europe (gave us a new appreciation for church treasuries). Last year there was an exhibit on the Romanoffs.

Enjoy your travels to Amsterdam, and heed the advise, "Watch out for the bikes!" Peace.

Robyn
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 07:03 AM

My favorite "museum" in Amsterdam isn't a formal museum, but the exceptional cityscape of the canals and buildings in the Jordaan (which bardo briefly mentioned ealier). It's an extraordinary neighborhood - perfect for strolling and for photos. (If you're lucky enough to have a sunny day, best photos are early morning and an hour before sunset.)

While the Anne Frank is the best known of the WWII museums, the Joods Historic museum (near Waterlooplein) would be my first choice.

Although most people tend to stay near Central Station or Dam Sq., I'd sugest a hotel closer to the Leidseplein or Museumplein. These are much more pleasant areas, close to wonderful places for outdoor strolls when the weather is suitable.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 07:36 AM

"Would a three-day visit be adequate...?" depends on how fast you want to move. You can easily spend half a day in the Rijksmuseum alone despite the fact that it is under renovation and only a selected number of works are nmow on view. I would recommend that along with the Van Gogh as absolute musts if you are interested in this sort of artwork.

I think you can do the usually agreed-upon highlights in three days..a busy three days but worth it.

Have a great trip.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 08:35 AM

Pgh. and the Pgh. Symphony Orchestra just lost our wonderful conductor, Mariss Jansons, to the Royal Concertgebouw; his tenure there begins this fall, 2004 season. Try to get tickets to a concert he is conducting!
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 11:49 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My 1st trip to Amsterdam was 5 days. To me that's a minimum (personal opinion obviously). Great suggestion to find a hotel in the Leidseplein, near Vondelpark, or the Jordaan (instead of near the central train station and around the Dam) because it is a MUCH more beautiful and less hectic part of the city.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the useful information. When we see a good Octobber fare we will pounce and probably go for five+ days.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 01:05 PM
dcespedes

Good idea, Powell--we were there just 3 days and oh, how we wish we could have stayed longer. Hope you enjoy a wonderful trip!

Old Jun 17th, 2004, 03:59 PM

I haven't stayed near the Vondelpark and am sure it is nice. But I also recommend canalside hotels, which are so atmospheric of Amsterdam.

My favorite is the Ambassade. The Estherea is also nice, and people I know love the Canal House. It can be so wonderful to wake up in a room with windows opening out over one of the major canals.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 04:21 PM

My first visit was 4 nights...and it was wonderful. Stayed in the Jordaan, which, as stated above, is beautiful and not hectic and has lots of lovely shops and restaurants....We got a good "taste" of the city. We even left 1 morning and 1 day - out to Keukenhoff Gardens to see flowers and to Harlaam. Go for as long as you can go...and enjoy your time. Wonderful city.