Search

Amsterdam Trip!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amsterdam Trip!

Hi All,

I will be going to Amsterdam in the beginning of March. I know, late planning, but it is for work and I will be taking a vacation before I start! My boyfriend will be meeting me in Amsterdam.

3 questions:

1. What is the best hotel to stay at? We would like a hotel that is in the heart of the city but not too fancy schmancy.

2. What are the Top 5 things to do in Amsterdam?

3. We would like to take an overnight trip to Brussels and Brugge ... what advice can you give? We will take the train.

Any info you can pass on will be most appreciated. I am finding it difficult to find actual travel books on just Amsterdam and Brussels!

Thank you!!!!

Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 11:54 AM

The best way to see Amsterdam is on a houseboat right in the center of everything. We stayed at a great one & I can not recommend it highly enough:

http://www.soultravelers3.com/blog/5...C4C5F9121.html

Top 5 things are up to you and your taste, but I would not miss the Van Gogh :

http://www.soultravelers3.com/blog/5...C4C5F9121.html

That was a highlight for us as well as the outdoor museum:

http://www.soultravelers3.com/blog/6...87F70E309.html

We liked Brugge a lot too, but spent a week there and drove. Don't miss the Michaelangelo there and the lace making is cool. Fun to just walk around in, as is Amsterdam although it will probably be cold and rainy in March.

Just google those places and you should find a ton of info or go to the library for guide books etc.
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 11:59 AM

It is hard for me to tell you what the "best" hotel is since I have no idea what your tastes are, your budget is, what you want to see and do.

You might try www.channels.nl for recommendations..or just stay in one of the most expensive places and be done with it.

Houseboats are fun but they do NOT move.
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 12:24 PM

I've found great deals for Amsterdam at Booking.com although other sites can work well too.

I like the area around Rembrandtplein. It's very central and pleasant.

What price range of hotel do you want?

I won't give a Top 5, but I will give a Top 3 in Amsterdam:
Anne Frank house
Rijksmuseum
Van Gogh museum

The rest will vary by your taste.

For your overnight trip, take the train to Brugge, stay overnight, and the next day, take the train to Brussels, store your luggage, explore Brussels, and take the train to Amsterdam. That way allows you to combine both. Look at the Belgian train site.

www.b-rail.be

I think the cheapest train option for you will be roundtrip Smilys tickets on Thalys, Amsterdam - ABS (Any Belgian Station), purchased at least 14 days in advance but preferably sooner so you get a better discount.
Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 08:13 PM

My friends enjoyed the Golden Tulip in the center, near Dam Square. The NH chain is usually nice, too.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 09:49 PM

CHeck Expedia.com, Booking.com and Hotelclub.com
Depends on your taste and budget most of them are $100 US up are good. I like to read the reviews which can give you better idea of the hotels. Last time I was there I stayed in the Victoria Central Palza and it was great. It is across from the central Station and walking distance to Dam Square and light rail station.
Have fun in AMsterdam. Great city
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 10:12 PM

Anne Frank house, Rijksmuseum and
Van Gogh museum should be in the top five... We also did a cycle tour into the countryside that took us past windmills, etc.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 10:36 PM

We loved Bruges...staying overnight is a great idea. We stayed at Martin's Brugge http://www.martinsbrugge.com/html/en/index.htm and found it to be the perfect location.