Parador - Granada to Madrid

Old Jan 17th, 2008, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parador - Granada to Madrid

I'll be leaving Granada mid to late afternoon to head back to Madrid. I want to stay at a Parador for one night. I'd prefer one that used to be a castle/fortress and my frontrunner is Parador Jaen. Is there a better choice? It doesn't need to be on the direct path from Granada to Madrid, but I'll be traveling without a car, so it needs to be on a bus or train route.

Thanks
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 11:40 AM

hobbes404,
The castle/fortress Parador in Jaén is closer to Granada than the ducal palace Parador in Ubeda.

Here's the Alsina Graells bus schedule Jaén-Granada:

http://tinyurl.com/35nnvu
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 12:16 PM

Jaen is lovely, but it is a recreated castle next to a real castle ruin, just so you aren't disappointed. But the views are amazing and they serve you breakfast in bed! We loved it, but again, it isn't completely authentic if that is what you are looking for.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 12:27 PM

Yes, should have mentioned what kelliebellie has told you about the Jaén Parador.

The Ubeda Parador is a genuine 16th century ducal palace sitting on a gorgeous Renaissance square. Ubeda also has bus service to Granada (Alsina Graells) but not as frequent. Bus departures at 2:15 and 4:30.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. Ubeda looks great, not sure how I missed it. I still need to finalize plans, but it should work with my schedule.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 02:13 PM

Hi hobbes ,following Maribel's information regarding transportation and all, I do agree that it would be a much better option to stay in the Parador in Ubeda than the one in Jaen specially with out a car. The Parador in Jaen is located at the top of a hill, next door to the ruins of the castle, may be that is enough for you but surely you need a taxi, to get there from town to the top of the hill.
Views from the rooms are fantastic over the olive fields and also from the hill you can see the city of Jaen.
Ubeda as Maribel says it is the old Palace of a Bishop right in the middle of the old town. You can walk around to a dozen wonderful buildings etc. and better still take a walking tour of Ubeda which are grreat.
Only one thing because it was a Palace some rooms face inside courts which is not nice .I mean rooms vary a lot. So be sure if it is important to you to get a decent room. In Jaen most rooms ,I guess, have great views. Ubeda is a lovely town as is next door to Baeza.
Which also is beautiful.No parador there but quaint little hotels. I loved Ubeda and Baeza.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 02:24 PM

Hi Graziella! I agree that the best rooms at the Ubeda Parador are those facing the square. We requested one, and our request was granted. We were there last during Holy Week, and their processions were quite impressive-more solemn, like those in Old Castile.

Old Jan 17th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Ian

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
The southern view from any window in the Jaen Parador will take your breath away. And the view from the pool area? Just go.

For something completely different: Almagro. A Parador in an old monastary in the middle of a slow & sleepy La Mancha town.

We went to both & the contrast made for great stays.

Ian
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 05:09 PM

Good evening, Graziellab -- I agree with you: One more vote for Ubeda. We were there many years ago, and thought that square was magical - we had a room right next to the church, and heard the wonderful church bells in the morning. worth waking up to!
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the great feedback. I'm sold on Ubeda. I think it's exactly what I was looking for.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 10:37 PM

Don't miss Baeza, close to Ubeda:
http://www.todosobrebaeza.com/ingles...monuments.html
http://geneura.ugr.es/ubeda.html