Amsterdam to airport.....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21st, 2006, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, My family will be staying at a Novotel Hotel in Amsterdam near the RAI Congress Center train station. Will we be able to catch a train at this station directly to the AMS airport?
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 06:14 PM

Yes. Check out ns.nl

Train every 13-17 minutes, takes 10-11 minutes from "Amsterdam RAI" to "Schiphol". It's on the route from Centraal to Schiphol.
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 04:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks rkkwan for the info. I did not realize that the city was that close to the airport.... great to know for our early departure out of AMS. Any idea how much a ticket is to the airport??
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 04:15 AM

Again, you can find fares, schedules and all kind of information on http://ns.nl <- that's the website for the Netherlands train system.

It's 2.5€ standard one-way. But I believe that's the price if you buy from a machine. You need to know your PIN code for your credit card to use one (or have a smart chip in your credit card). Otherwise, if you buy from a manned counter, it costs I think 1€ extra.
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 06:35 AM

rkkwan has given excellent info but:

<It's on the route from Centraal to Schiphol>

is not so because the RAI (pronounced "Rye&quot station is on the Schiphol-Duivendrecht line that splits off the Schiphol to Centraal station line shortly after the airport. There are no trains i believe running between RAI station and Centraal station without changing. The metro however does connect the two.
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 07:17 AM

Thanks for the correction!
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 08:18 AM

I had to chuckle when I first read the response about the location of the RAI station.

Several years ago we decided to take the train into the city when we found ouselves with an 8-hour layover at Schiphol. We assumed all the trains were going to Centraal and you can imagine our surprise when the train terminated at the RAI station and we got off and found ourselves out in what seemed like semi-nowhere!

Fortunately, we were able to walk a few steps and get a local tram which took us to Centraal which turned out to be a positive move since we got a tour of parts of the city anyway.
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 08:47 AM

We've stayed at the Novel twice and used the train from airport to RAI. I would suggest that you take the time to walk down to the station and "scope it out" so you know exactly where to stand to catch the train in the direction that you are going. Trains stop for a very short time and being sure of where you need to be, especially if you have luggage to put on board, is important. Even if the train "deadheads" there, being sure of all the details lowers your stress level. Ciao--mhm
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 09:04 AM

Trains don't deadend there anymore but now continue on across the Amstel River to Duivendrecht and then over to the Zeist area to join the mainline to Arnhem. Maybe some trains deadend here but think not.
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 09:57 AM

Duivendrecht: "pickpocket central"
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 11:16 AM

Amsterdam Centraal - pickpocket centraal before they put a police person every few yards throughout it. Big problem in Amsterdam due to down and out drug addicts.
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Thank you for all of the great information. I feel much more confident now. "Mercy-- we will be sure to go down and check out the trains heading for the airport the day before we are leaving... there is nothing worse than getting on the wrong train or missing the correct one altogether when you are in a hurry.
Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 06:36 AM

There's really no problem getting on the right train at station RAI - all trains heading west will stop at the airport - they first stop at Amsterdam-Zuid-WTC (World Trade Centre) station and the next stop is Schiphol - the train enters a long tunnel before stopping right in the heart of the airport a few steps from most check-in counters. A very easy transfer - the most seemless of any train to plane thing i've seen in Europe. Trains go about every 15 minutes, just buy your ticket either in machines, for a euro less i guess or at the ticket window. I believe you must cancel the ticket yourself by sticking it into some cancelling machine before boarding the train for it to be valid. Ask the ticket window about this - they will speak English.
Tot Ziens!
Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the reply PalenqueBob- That helps me to visualize our train trip... I am so glad that we do not have to switch trains on our way to the airport the day of our departure.