Amsterdam airport to Centraal station

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2008, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are flying into Amsterdam this summer, and then taking the train from Amsterdam Centraal. We will have 2 small kids in tow. We have about an 8 hour layover in Amsterdam.

How difficult is it to get to the Centraal station from the airport? And what can we do for a few hours in Amsterdam?

(Figure we're going to be really jet-lagged; we're coming from Oregon.)

--Yan
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 07:36 AM

First, there may be a tour you can take from the airport in that amount of time..you can check in the Schiphol Plaza area of the terminal.

In terms of getting to and from centraal station..not a problem.

In the Schiphol Plaza area of the terminal there are ticket windows and ticket machines for the trains which leave from one flight below. This is right across from the Burger King (do NOT eat their fries!!!!) Trains run about every 15 minutes and take about 20 minutes to get into the city; returns should be as frequent.
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Great, thanks. Is there a playground, park, or something anywhere near Centraal? I'm hoping for a cafe in a park where we can get some fresh air and space between 15 hours on a plane and 15 hours on a train....

--Yan
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 07:46 AM

Ticket machines apparently do not take most American credit cards but the lines here are not that long

Be sure to buy a Day Return ticket at a bit cheaper than two one ways and then also you will not have to wait in oft very long lines at ticket windows in Amsterdam C.S. to buy a return ticket (since Ticket Machines are off-limits to American credit cards - maybe they take change however - i forget - i think tickets are a tad cheaper if bought from the machines

right opposite Centraal Station are some boat tour docks and your kids will love taking the canal boat tours around town - a lovely way to see this beautiful town.

Note at Schiphol train station only about half the trains go to Amsterdam Central station and others go to suburban Amsterdam stations like World Trade-Zuid and RAI - do not get on those trains as they do not go to Centraal Station

Look at the overhead signs on the platforms and above the escalator to make sure - i always see folks who get on the wrong train it seems

Like Dukey said the VVV or Holland Tourist Office in Schiphol shopping area offers special tours for folks like you in case you want to keep it simple.
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 07:51 AM

I do remember seeing a soft play area at the airport (on airside). How old are your kids?

Amsterdam definitely doable if you have 8hr layover. Have an appletart, go find a park if the weather is nice.
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 07:54 AM

There is no easier thing to do than get from Schiphol to Centraal station. (Though I do remember recently that I couldn't pay for the ticket with my credit card at the machines...wouldn't work, but got the ticket from the guy at the window). Trains are downstairs as indicated by Dukey.

The biggest issue is luggage. I believe there is a 24-hour consignment at Centraal Station. This website below seems to confirm, (but these things can change, so I would search some more for another confirmation):

http://tinyurl.com/4lhbcv

Right outside the train station is a Tourist Office and you can book canal cruises, and also tours I think. Definitely worth spending some time in Amsterdam since you are right at the train station. Rouss
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

The boat thing sounds really neat... Any place to leave luggage? Or should we figure on dragging it with us? I don't know if they have lockers or a luggage check at the station.
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 08:00 AM

There are luggage lockers in Schiphol Airport, right under the arrivals hall where you exit thru Customs inspection - all sizes, very safe.
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 08:02 AM

then after stashing your bags go to the Holland Tourist Information counter also near the customs exit and pick up a town map, info on boats, ask questions, etc.

There are ATMs also at the exit by the ABN/AMRO Bank exchange office to get Euros easily.
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 11:54 AM

Central Amsterdam isn't full of ideal spaces for young children to run around and let off energy - the canals aren't edged with railings, for example.

Another suggestion might be to take the 2 or 5 tram from outside Centraal Station to Museumplein - plenty of open space there, and in Vondelpark nearby - and the 16 or 24 from outside the Concertgebouw back to Centraal Station (or vice versa). Riding in a tram might be fun for the children, and it makes a sort of tour of the city centre.

http://www.gvb.nl/english/Pages/default.aspx

Old Apr 4th, 2008, 11:56 AM

I don't recall a park area for children other than Vondelpark - which also has the Cafe Vertigo, with its terrace tables looking over the park. It's next to the Film Museum, at the northeastern edge of Vondelpark. Google's map pointer is wrong. First see this layout:
http://project.waag.org/parq/vondelparkmap.htm (see a yellow circle with "3" and a knife/fork emblem, just under the WC? that's Vertigo)

Then find Vondelpark on any Amsterdam map, including a Google map. Vertigo is at the end of Roemer Visscherstraat, and to the right as you are entering the park. (see the Bike emblem on the Vondelpark map?)

http://goamsterdam.about.com/od/amst...-in-a-Park.htm

http://cache.virtualtourist.com/1733...-Amsterdam.jpg
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 12:56 PM

I believe I saw children's park facilities in the Plantage area, although I cannot specifically say where. This is a nice area - somewhat underrated and undervisited in my opinion.

For Vondelpark, perhaps someone else can comment, but I think there may be a faster route than going to Centraal Station and taking the tram. Maybe it's going to RAI station and taking a tram?
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 01:03 PM

NS ticket machines don't take credit cards, they aren't fussy about where you come from, even Dutch ones won't work - they just don't take CCs. They will take ATM cards if they are Maestro cards and have a 4 figure pin, or coins.
You could consider going to Artis (the zoo) with the kids - Amsterdam zoo is not the nicest zoo, but would give the kids a place to run a round and you a chance to take it easy. It is near the centre. you can take a boat there too.
www.artis.nl/international/index.html
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 01:05 PM

Lelyland station (on Amsterdam Central route) and taking the tram is the quickest route i believe

but i'd first go to Central station and hop the boats

kids can play anywhere but rarely get to putz around on a glass covered boat
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 01:23 PM

re the luggage..I am assuming yours will be CHECKED THROUGH. If it isn't then you actually have TWO options...tou can use the left luggage room OR you can use one of the automated lockers (cheaper than using the room)and those lockers are located right in the same area as the luggage room window.

WHATEVER you do, do NOT leave ANY luggage, backpack, etc., unattended on the train ride in and out of town, especially if you are standing near the doors. Why? Because in the past when the train has stopped at intermediate stations (such as Sloterdijk) thieves standing on the platform have been known to reach in and grab anything on the floor next to the door and run off with it.
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

I didn't know you could check luggage through from airplanes to trains....

In any case, we're not doing that. Travel there will be (relatively) light; we're travelling house-to-house so all we're bringing is a backpack and a wheeled travelcase each.

We obviously want to drop the bigger luggage at the train station if possible.

Thanks for the pointer on the thieves; I've been lucky so far. I got pick-pocketed once but all they got was the wrappers from my already-eaten lunch.

Old Apr 4th, 2008, 01:52 PM

I read it that the OP is arriving at the airport and leaving from the train station. So they do not need to buy a roundtrip ticket to Centraal, they should not check their bags at Schipol and their bags will not be checked to final destination.

I'm curious why there is not an earlier train to wherever?
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 01:58 PM

> .. and then taking the train from Amsterdam Centraal ..

From above I understand that OP is taking a train from Amsterderdam Centraal to other destination and NOT returning to the airport.

Some suggested lockers at the airport and buying return train tickets but probably that's not what OP wants to do.
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

It's the night train to Prague.

Only one per day.

That way we get to Prague merely exhausted, and not cadaverous.

Last time I flew all the way, it took 30 hours and 4 flights - one way. Try that with two kids under 10. Never again. Now we take the night train when we can. Kids love the train ride, we arrive in the morning, get some rest, and it's a lot cheaper to boot.

This is the first time from Amsterdam, though. And we have a long layover, so I'm hoping to do something fun.
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 02:00 PM

Amsterderdam .... Amsterdam.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -