Amsterdam Thoughts

Aug 20th, 2002, 11:32 PM
XXX

Amsterdam Thoughts

Some general thoughts on Amsterdam...

1. I may be crazy but it seems only fools like me pay our fare on the trams. I hardly see anybody either paying the driver or stamping their tickets. Yes I know, tickets are good for 1 hour and yes I know that many folks have passes but I get on at Centraal Station and see obviously just arrived travelers get on the tram and nobody pays...and I never see any control agents. Just a throught.

2. I resent to high heaven having to pay to use a restroom either in a department store or at the train station. I understand in a private shoppe but when nature calls, you have little choice. At least there still is McDonald's (?)

Aug 21st, 2002, 01:30 AM
Sjoerd

1. Many people indeed have passes, and more and more trams have conductors to who you will have to show your ticket. But you are right, on the trams that don't have conductors, many people travel without ticket. However, there are control squads and the fine is something like € 45 if you are caught without ticket.

2. Then don't go to the toilet. When in Rome,........

Aug 21st, 2002, 03:27 AM
frank

Why not get your money's worth by taking a leak on the tram?

The point is interesting - the Netherlands is a cooperative sort of place, unless you can't afford the tram it seems good to pay.In other societies it is more important to compete with the other guy so you end up paying extra to get your tickets inspected but feel good because you've prevented someone doing better than you.

Remember that many of the "just arrived travellers" come from places where they where simply can't cooperate like this.Which has the best public transport?

I always buy a strippencart!

Aug 21st, 2002, 03:33 AM
Sjoerd

1. Many people indeed have passes, and more and more trams have conductors to who you will have to show your ticket. But you are right, on the trams that don't have conductors, many people travel without ticket. However, there are control squads and the fine is something like € 45 if you are caught without ticket.

2. Then don't go to the toilet. When in Rome,........

Aug 21st, 2002, 03:54 AM
Hans H

If Amsterdam is comparable to Germany, at least 80% of the passengers have passes. And if you get caught, the on-spot fine isn't the only problem. Not paying for transport is fraud and you can get a criminal record for it. This doesn't happen if you get caught for the first time, but if it happens several times within two years (the time they are allowed to keep the records), you might very well be prosecuted and end up with a considerably higher fine and a criminal record. This ensures that most people pay their fees.

Aug 21st, 2002, 04:37 AM
Terra

From an expat living in Amsterdam:

1) Most locals have a transportation card that enables them to travel without using the strippenkaart or having to pay cash. As long as they have it with them, there is no fine. It just may appear that many travel without paying... I have been checked 4-5 times in the past 4 years if I had my pass with me-- but I travel mostly by bike and rarely by public transport.

2) It is sad to pay for toilets...however I find that at least the toilets here are almost always clean and well stocked. I'll shell out a couple of cents for a clean bathroom! Also, the bonus of living here a long time is that you know where all the clean AND free toilets are!!

Terra

Aug 21st, 2002, 05:38 PM
Danna

AHA!!! That's why no one was using their strippen cards at rush hour!... yet another question answered. We will pay next time, promise! As for bathrooms, had to pay 10 pence for the loo in Scotland, seems fair to me!

Aug 23rd, 2002, 07:06 AM
TTT

TTT

Aug 23rd, 2002, 07:22 AM
Dick

This past June on train ride from Airport to Central Station we thought we did something wrong when there was no ticket taker, no turn stile, etc. But on the return trip the conductor came thru and check all for ticket.

Aug 23rd, 2002, 05:37 PM
slider

The McDonalds on Kalverstraat in Amsterdam is the only Mac where I was ever asked to pay to use the toilet. The fat woman at the potty door would not let me in without paying. I held it and walked out, then went to a typical Dutch cafe a few blocks away where I also had a great soup, sandwich, and the usual Dutch beverage.

Aug 23rd, 2002, 06:54 PM
P.P.

It seems to me that the New European Union is built on the strength of the toilet economy. I did not find a bathroom ANYWHERE in Belgium, Italy, Germany or Holland without an attendent and her collection basket. I think U.S. Customs should charge all incoming Europeans in advance for the use of OUR crappers.

Aug 24th, 2002, 06:08 AM
Thomas Crapper

I understand that with the advent of the Euro as a common currency, the inhabitants of the Continent decided that charging the tourists for using the WC was an easy way to bolster the economy. They unilaterally agreed on the price of 1? no matter whether you sat or stood to relieve yourself. Hence the name of these entrepreneurs, "Euro-pee-ens".