Train, Schiphol to Amsterdam

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2008, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a question I am hoping someone may be able to answer for me. My husband and I have flew into Schiphol four times now. We have had rail passes, staying the first and last nights in Amsterdam. I have noticed that in the eight times we used the train between Schiphol and Amsterdam, we have never been asked for a ticket or our passes. Does anyone know if they ever check for tickets between Schiphol and Amsterdam? This may seem like a dumb question, but I would appreciate hearing for anyone that has experienced the same. We will probably be heading back again this year or next and it is a curiosity to me. Thanks.
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 07:29 AM

It doesn't matter whether they ask to see a ticket or not, you should have one. You shouldn't use your pass for this ride, as it only costs about 4€.
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 07:37 AM

Absolutely they check for tickets. You may not notice it often, but it does happen. If you get caught without a ticket, you pay 200% of what the ticket would normally be. At least that is what they charged me and a friend who couldn't get the machines to issue a ticket and the booths were closed. The machine did not have change and wouldn't take our large euro bills. At the last second (because we were meeting someone in Amsterdam) we jumped on the train and thought we'd deal with the issue if it came up . The conductor fined us heavily and we laughed about it, but even double, the trains in europe are reasonably priced and we met our friend in Amsterdam in time.
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 08:24 AM

Be ready for a big fine and problems if you donot have a ticket.,Yes, they do check, maybe not all the time, but it happens.
For just a few Euros, why take that risk.
If that makes you trip too expensive,,, take a cheaper hotel!
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Pinchme_iam_dreaming

The conductor didn't check our tickets. He seem to be spot checking?
I had ours at the ready but he didn't ask to see them. In 2005 it only cost us 7.80 Euro total. I wouldn't risk it plus, They need the money to keep the trains running.

Old Feb 11th, 2008, 09:40 AM

As has been stated, yes tickets are checked. Of course they are checked! Not every time maybe, as it is such a short trip, indeed it is possible to make long train journeys and not have the ticket checked, but but why risk it?
I hope you were not considering not buying a ticket. It only costs a few Euros - if you can't afford that then you shouldn't be visiting Amsterdam.