Rijksmuseum Ticket Question

Old Mar 10th, 2018, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rijksmuseum Ticket Question

Hello,
DH & I will be in Amsterdam in July, and of course would like to visit the Rijksmuseum. We can purchase tickets via their website and through Viator. Viator touts the ability to "skip the lines" for entrance. If we pre-purchase our tickets through the R-museum website, would we still be able to skip the line to get in? Or is that truly something special that Viator offers?

Just wonder which is the best way to pre-purchase our tickets to maximize our time in Amsterdam (just 3 days).

Thank you for any advice you have about the R-museum and Amsterdam.
Old Mar 10th, 2018, 06:59 PM

Same if you buy through the Rijksmuseum website I think.
Old Mar 10th, 2018, 11:08 PM

I think so too; with a ticket in your hand you just go to the entrance, same as you would if you have a museumcard. The lines I've seen at Rijksmuseum (if any) were always for the ticket counter.
So if i's a ticket you can print out, then just go for the Rijksmuseum one.

It's always a good idea to go to the busiest place first thing in the morning, when it opens.
For 3 days a museumcard is probably not worth while, unless you plan to visit quite a few of them.
Old Mar 11th, 2018, 05:35 AM

I agree with Tulips. Get there before the doors open. Depending on your interest, head for the most important piece(s) you want to see. We made a beeline for the Gallery of Honour and were able to view the Vermeers without interference. I made a pass by before we left for a last look and folks were 10 deep around them.
Old Mar 11th, 2018, 09:21 AM

We bought our tickets on the Riijks site - we got there about 10 minutes or so before they opened. We were able to get pictures of the I Amsterdam sign with no people in front of it and walked right in when they opened. There is one side for advanced tickets looking from the I Amsterdam sign - it is the left side.
Old Mar 11th, 2018, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the good information about when & how to visit the museum. I may change the day we go. We are arriving on a cruise ship, and disembark at 8am. I was thinking we'd go to the museum that first morning, but we may not be able to disembark, drop off our luggage at our hotel, and get to the museum by 9am that day. Maybe we'll switch the day.
Old Mar 11th, 2018, 04:24 PM

9 am no way - Ships can be late too and it would be problematic getting there anyway unless you had a taxi waiting.
Old Mar 11th, 2018, 04:31 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
The tickets to the Rijks are not for a specific date or time. Why go through a tour comapny when the museum gives you the same ticket directly? We have done this both times we visited the Rijksmuseum; the last time was August 2017.. The new restorarion of the museum is beautiful.
Old Mar 11th, 2018, 04:44 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Or is that truly something special that Viator offers?<<

Viator is just a 3rd party reseller -- so why would they offer something the museum wouldn't.

There is no guarantee you will disembark @ 8AM especially if it is a large ship -- everyone does not get off at the same time. Then you have to get to your hotel (where are you staying?). From the cruise terminal into the center only takes 10-15 mins by taxi, but if you are farther out it will take longer.
Old Mar 12th, 2018, 01:35 AM

Buying from the Rijksmuseum site you get an e-ticket. It is not a timed entry or day specific ticket. You can also book a multi-media tour at the same time. You bypass the queue for the ticket office, as it states on the website. Buy the tickets from the Rijks rather than from Viator.
Old Mar 13th, 2018, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by janisj
>>Or is that truly something special that Viator offers?<<

Viator is just a 3rd party reseller -- so why would they offer something the museum wouldn't.

There is no guarantee you will disembark @ 8AM especially if it is a large ship -- everyone does not get off at the same time. Then you have to get to your hotel (where are you staying?). From the cruise terminal into the center only takes 10-15 mins by taxi, but if you are farther out it will take longer.
We will be on the Oceania Marina ship, one of their larger ships, but not nearly as large as a Princess or Royal Caribbean ship. We are staying at Pillows Anna right next to Vondelpark.

We plan to self-disembark which we have done before so we can beat the crowds off the boat.
Old Mar 14th, 2018, 10:36 AM

Pillows Anna is very nice, and Vondelpark is great, especially the part where you're staying. On the other hand there's Overtoom with many good restaurants.
Old Mar 14th, 2018, 11:54 AM

Overtoom is a neat neighborhood main commercial street - lots of un-touristed places to eat and shop there.
Old Mar 15th, 2018, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

Amsterdam will be the last 3 days of a 22-day trip for us. I chose Pillows Anna because it looked like a very comfortable hotel in a location not too far from all the main sites.

This will be our first trip to Amsterdam (hopefully not out last!), so I want to be able to maximize our time there. One day we are taking a 5 hr day-trip to see windmills & countryside.
Old Mar 15th, 2018, 11:55 PM

If you want to have very good beer inside a windmill, head to Brouwerij 't IJ on Funenkade.

And if you walk across Vondelpark to the non-shopping end of P.C. Hooftstraat, you'll find De Roos, with its wonderful and quiet tearoom.

De Roos, bewustwording, yoga, meditatie, zaal huren, winkel, theehuis-de Roos

Shops, restaurants, AH supermarket are all on Overtoom, just around the corner from your hotel.