amsterdam taxi's

Search

amsterdam taxi's

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2003, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
amsterdam taxi's

curious how much it would cost to take a taxi from the museum area to central station?

know the trams are good, but just curious, keep reading that it is expensive, but how expensive?
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 02:28 AM

Our hotel's (right next to the museums) homepage says it's about 11 Euro from the station.
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

what hotel?
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 09:09 AM

Joanel,

We took a cab from the central station to the Marriott on the inner canal. There were five of us and five suitcases. I can't remember the fare, but it did not seem unreasonable or believe me, my husband would have complained. By the Museum area I assume you mean the Picasso, Roden area?

Because of the language, we found their public transport system very confusing and used mostly taxis. It is not a huge city and we walked most places. It was easy to get a taxi at the central station, however it was somewhat difficult to hail a taxi on the street. They simply refused to take you if they felt it was too short a distance. One driver actually made us get out of a cab when he found out where we wanted to go.
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

museum area is van gogh, rijk.... etc.

sounds like you are referring to paris?

transportation system confusing. guess signs are not in english? even though they speak it a lot there?
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 11:58 AM

The Marriott is almost in the Museumpleine, about 2 or 3 blocks closer to Centraal Station. I'm guessing the taxi will cost about 10 euro.

I'm not sure why Jayne found the language a problem in Amsterdam since nearly everyone speaks English. The trans are VERY easy to use. At the station you can buy a strippenkart which is good for more rides than you will likely take. The easiest thing is to get on at the front door and hand it to the driver and say where you want to go. S/he will stamp the right number of stamps. You can put it in the machine at the back door but be sure to stamp <i>every other</i> little square. (I got scolded for stamping every square). From Centraal Station to the Museum area will take about 15 minutes. Take either 2 or 5.

When you're there, try the trams. They are so easy and a great way to see all the main areas of Amsterdam.
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 05:30 PM

sorry Joanel, I always gets those two confused. I meant the Van Gogh.

The transportation confusion was just a personal thing. Typically we do much better with underground systems! I found it confusing because there are so many darn consonants in every word! We had the same problem with street names! Of course it was the last few days of a month-long trip. We were exhausted and opted for the easiest way around. Is this a day trip?
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 05:35 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I rarely disagree with Grasshopper's comments but on my 1st trip to Amsterdam last summer I was surprised how little English was spoken in many smaller shops, restaurant, even the hotel (which is perfectly fine, I mean I realize I'm in the Netherlands LOL but just I'd heard differently).

If this transportation question by chance happens to have to do with getting from a hotel back to the airport I highly recommend asking about the Connexxion hotel shuttle service 10 euro 1 way, 18 euro round trip.
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 06:49 PM

I'm surprised at the comment about lack of English in Amsterdam. I have made 3 trips to Amsterdam and found that the majority of people there speak English quite well.
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 07:47 PM

Honestly, everyone speaks English in Amsterdam...They speak Dutch amongst one another, but if you approach them in English, they will answer you back in English..And taxi's are not necessary in Amsterdam as the tram will get you everywhere...
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 01:37 AM

Joanel,
sorry for not answering for so long.
The hotel I was referring to is the Piet Hein Hotel: www.hotelpiethein.nl
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

so how crowded are the trams? can you get a seat? how long do you have to wait for them?
(curious due to walking, standing issue for one of us- that is why interested in cost of taxi's - so can budget this in before we go).
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 07:24 PM

You never have to wait more than a couple of minutes for a tram in Amsterdam, especially in the central areas..They can become crowded though they are a great way to get around the city quickly and inexpensively.