Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Taxi from Centraal Station to my Hotel in Amsterdam and to Muiden Castle

Nov 22nd, 2004, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

Hi, I'll be in Amsterdam next Feb after a stop in London. It'll be my first time there. I'm taking the Schiphol Rail Link from the airport to Centraal Station. I'll be staying at the Best Western Lancaster Hotel on Plantage Middenlaan 48, Amsterdam, NL-1018DH.
Is it easy to find a taxi in Centraal Station and how much will they charge to my hotel for two adults? And is Centraal Station safe? I've read bad comments about pickpockets.
I'd also like to pay a visit to Castle Muiden (Muiderslot). Do you know how can I get there either by train or bus from my hotel? What's the walking distance from the bus/train station to the castle? If I decide to take a taxi, how much will they charge?
Thank you in advance.
Nov 22nd, 2004, 02:17 PM

I think Centraal Station is somewhat safer than it used to be. Kep an ewye on all your luggage on the short rail trip in from Schiphol...do NOT leave luggage near the doors in the train car "vestibules" at any time.

Will top this for you as I am sure someone will comment about the taxis.
Nov 22nd, 2004, 02:37 PM

As for Muiden, i took a train there a bit back. Ask at the station for their Trein & Taxi info where for a cheap add-on fee you can hop a waiting taxi at Dutch stations to reach your destination. If the Muiden Castle is in Muiden you can probably walk, the town is small. Not sure if train & taxi works from Amsterdam Centraal. Taxis are shared by up to 4 people i think so may not be bullet-quick as normal Amsterdam taxis that roar around town like they're on their way to a fire. Ask at Schiphol Airport about taxi prices right to your hotel, as, as the bird flies it can't be more than 10 miles from the airport and you won't have to deal with the hassles of huge Centraal Station, which is currently a chaos of reconstruction. A large police presence seems to have lowers the security risk at one time real dicey pickpocket area down to code yellow from red. Taxis used to queue on the station's front but since this area is all torn up they may have been re-located. Ask at the Schiphol airport train info about Muiden schedules - everything in Holland is about twice hourly. www.ns.nl to see rail schedules; there is a site that gives all types of Dutch transport but i can't remember it.
Nov 22nd, 2004, 03:19 PM

IINM, Amsterdam is the only Dutch train station without Treintaxi service. If you're not in a hurry and there are only one or two of you it is usually a good deal, especially for outlying areas, in most Dutch cities.
Nov 22nd, 2004, 03:34 PM

Last April, we took a taxi from our hotel off Leidseplein to the airport. The cost was 33Euro.

We often take a taxi from Centraal to same hotel (off Leidseplein) for about 11-13E.

Find Leidseplein on a map and compare to Plantage for reference. I think Plantage is a bit more out, so plan on 16-17E.

Taxis at Centraal are plentiful and easy to locate. Go out the front door of the train station, turn to your right (don't cross any streets). The taxi rank will be there.
Nov 22nd, 2004, 05:00 PM

You might be interested in the Connexxion hotel bus service. Ask your hotel if they are part of this. It leaves from the airport and does a loop of a long list of hotels in the city. In 2002 it was 10 Euro per person 1-way, 18 round-trip. This would avoid the train ride, the train station, and catching a taxi.
Apr 22nd, 2005, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

They only charged me 10Euro plus a 2Euro tip from Centraal Station to my hotel, about the same to get back. It was about a ten to fifteen minute ride.
I've decided not to go to Castle Muiden after all, instead I went to Castle De Haar. It was a bit farther out but I don't regret it. I took the train to Vleuten from Amsterdam stopping in Utrecht for about 8Euro round trip. Once in Vleuten there were no taxis to be seen, it was on a Sunday by the way. I had to walk for about ten minutes to the bus stop for route 127, once there I found out it only runs every hour on Sundays. I ended up calling a taxi from a gas station, it had to come all the way from Utrecht, he charged me 15Euro. On my way back I've decided to walk to the train station in Vleuten, a four-five mile trip. I was an interesting walk thru ranches and rural houses, it took me about hour and a half.
Back in Amsterdam I went to Haesje Claes Restaurant in Spui. I've ordered the Salted herring with onions, the Pea soup with sausage, and the Hotchpotch with stewed beef, sausage and bacon; everything was really good, I'd highly recommend it to anyone.
I had a great time in the Netherlands, thanks for you help.