Search

Amsterdam: Nice Hotel Near Concertgebouw

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2007, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amsterdam: Nice Hotel Near Concertgebouw

Hi Everyone:

I know I have been going around in circles re: my Amsterdam hotel. Here's one final appeal for help. Given the current exchange rates, I've pretty much given up on the idea of a 5 star splurge. Right now I'll be happy with a comfortable, clean, pretty hotel with en-suite bath including tub in walking distance of the Concertgebouw. I've been looking at a couple hotels and am wondering if anyone has stayed recently:

1) The Hotel Omega--It looks bright and cheerful on the Website but the reviews are very mixed. They've offered their largest room with full ensuite bath for €100 a night, including breakfast.

2) There's everyone's favorite, The Hotel Fita, at @ €145 for a Deluxe Double. Everyone has wonderful things to say about it but, to me, the rooms look like dreary motel rooms.

3) The Collector B&B is very tempting. Nice room. Good location. But no bathtub. No lift. only €110 per night.

4) The Atlas seems like a compromise at €170 but I can't get a handle on it. I've booked a superior double but they don't show photos of the room or the bath -- just a close-up of the bed!

5) I love the folks at The Heemskerk; however €195 for a 3 star hotel seems excessive. Also, it is another one that I can't get a handle on. It may well look better than the photos or could be kind of dumpy. I can't tell.

6) As a "splurge" I've got a Deluxe room at The College booked @ €240.00.

I want to finalize my choice in the next week or so. I'd be grateful for any feedback especially from those who have stayed at any of the properties recently.

I'm particularly interested in knowing if the Omega is what you see, is what you get.

Thanks as always for your help..

Old Sep 28th, 2007, 12:37 PM

just 'topping' your post to see if you'll get any responses...
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 12:46 PM

Have you looked at Hotel Zandbergen? Willemsparkweg 205, Amsterdam, 1071
www.hotel-zandbergen.com/

Also, Hotel Aalders, Jan Luykenstraat 13-15
http://www.hotelaalders.nl/en_site/
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 12:47 PM

We love the Hotel Washington. It's gone through a change of ownership since it's review on Fodor's but you can still see individual reviews if you click the hotels section above.
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Hi Everyone: I've considered all in the area and have pretty much narrowed my choices to the ones in my original post. If amyone has stayed at any of those, I'd love the feedback! Thanks!
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 03:47 PM

ttt
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 04:18 PM

To the flyer,

Where in tarnation did you get those hotel names? I've been on this forum for years and I've spent a lot of time in Amsterdam but can't recall the names of any of them.

Are you a troll? What is the meaning of this: <i>As a &quot;splurge&quot; I've got a Deluxe room at The College booked @ &euro;240.00.</i>
Then just do it. That's more than most people spend in 3 or 4 days in Amsterdam. Why brag on about your huge wallet and indecisiveness here? Have you talked with your counselor yet?

<i>I've considered all in the area and have pretty much narrowed my choices to the ones in my original post.</i>
So you had your mind made up from the beginning and just wanted someone to fill out your dance card and bless one of the choices?

You seem to know Amsterdam and you know what you want. Thus you also know that Amsterdam is small and any hotel in the center of the city is no more than a 20 minute walk or a 10 minute cab ride from the concert. You arrogantly dissed the suggestions. Fodorites are not the dummies you assume. See your counselor, please.

Old Oct 11th, 2007, 06:20 PM

well, um, actually.. I've heard of all of those hotels but more from trolling Google and hotel sites than from Fodors, true enough. Except Hotel Fita, very popular here. Could be that very few people stay by Concertgebouw, as it is a 'shade' south of where most prefer to be.
Old Oct 16th, 2007, 10:57 PM

So, flyer, I'm curious. Where did you end up staying?

Travelnut: Can you elaborate on your stay at the Hotel Zandbergen? I've booked a superior double for 3 nights in Nov. but I can't quell my impulse to keep lookimg for better deal/choice.

Thanks.

BOTH: Where are you off to next?
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 05:05 AM

I haven't stayed at Zandbergen. I'm a hotel junkie, just like searching them out, and somewhat keeping up with those that are a moderate price. They claim to have renovated recently and the reviews are good on Tripadvisor.

We just visited Rome and Venice with family in September. Have a plan in the works for a week in the Netherlands in April: Amsterdam, Alkmaar and Utrecht.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 06:43 AM

Well worth a look at this website, great list of hotels and online booking available. Each one has photos, map etc.

http://www.travelsavvy-amsterdam.com...venereDir=DESC

Ted
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 08:27 AM

or.... just go to www.venere.com
since that is where that site links to anyway.
Old Oct 17th, 2007, 10:24 AM

travelnut and tedandjane: thanks for info. I looked virtually everywhere. Just that Nicolaas Witsen and Hotel Misc &amp; others sounded good too. I think I'll stay w/ HZ -- a review said COFFEE &amp; breakfast good so that counts for a lot for a nightowl.

Any particular bars/cafes/coffeehouses that we MUST check out? Have been wanting to visit AMS for a long time so I'm tagging along on my husband's business trip to Rotterdam.

I've spent so much time surfing the forum that I haven't even bought a Fodor's guide yet which is my SOP.

Travelnut - we spent our 25th anniversary in Italy this past Feb. Wasn't it magical?

Old Oct 17th, 2007, 11:46 AM

flyer, I find your thread very interesting.

I love to travel and searching for the “best” hotel for a reasonable price has almost turned into a hobby for me!

We are traveling to AMS next September and are staying at the Hotel Brouwer in their Escher room. There is no WIFI, cable TV or air but it looks charming and has a great location, for 95E a night its a bargain.

I am curious where you will end up!
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

First off, I do want to apologize if I offended anyone. It was certainly not my intent. I value your opinions and have gotten a lot of wonderful advice from all of you over the years.

Yes, it is true, I am a bit indecisive. I'm also not at all familiar with Amsterdam. That's why I did a lot of homework and came to all of you for firsthand experience.

When all is said and done, I'll probably stay at The Heemskerk. The location (for me) couldn't be better and the owner is one of the kindest people I have ever dealt with.