Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Amsterdam Lodging...Another One...LOL! Yes! I have searched previous posts! :-)

Amsterdam Lodging...Another One...LOL! Yes! I have searched previous posts! :-)

Nov 7th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Amsterdam Lodging...Another One...LOL! Yes! I have searched previous posts! :-)

OK...We are taking a 'tour' (I know, many of you dont like them, but...) of Holland in the Spring. We are thinking that at the end, we will want to spend one extra day in Amsterdam and one more day to rent a car for things that we dont think got enough coverage on the tour. So...we will need lodging for 2 additional nights (no, we won't reserve through the tour because of price).

First, I'm thinking...something close to the airport: Tour co will drop off passengers there at end and that will be a convenient place from which to rent a car and take a day trip. Take public trans into 'town' first extra day...and be close to rental & return second day.

On the otherhand, I would not object to 2 nights in a quaint little hotel or B&B if I could get interesting rooms maybe with a canal view...I know, I'm dreaming...for no more than $200 per room per night. (2 couples going) I'm going to have to 'commute' for one day anyway, so what the difference which one?

Any suggestions or observations which might help me/us????
Nov 7th, 2006, 03:10 PM

Stay in wonderful Amsterdam, not out by the airport. Use the trains to visit other areas easily. Look at Rick Steves'Amsterdam for the type of hotels,BnB you want since you have not found any on Fodors that interest you..It is a short train ride into the city from the airport.
Nov 7th, 2006, 04:28 PM

If you want to explore by car, maybe consider one of the towns like Haarlem, Leiden, etc. as your base at the end. They would be cheaper and parking would (probably) be easier.
Nov 7th, 2006, 04:33 PM

I would be GOL (groaning out loud) if you took a hotel at Schiphol.

When they drop you off at Schiphol take bus #300 to the Haarlem train station. About 50 yards right in front of you is the Hotel Lion d'Or, a long standing very well maintained business class hotel. It is within your price range. The Trip Adviser reports on the Lion d'Or are at http://tinyurl.com/y25o4c. For much less than that you can get one star rooms in the center of town (which is a ten minute walk from the station) and for much much less you can find B&Bs in Haarlem.

April/May is a VERY busy time in Holland. Book whatever ASAP if not sooner.

Nov 7th, 2006, 04:44 PM

April is busy? I hear you, Hopscotch. BUT not all hotels have their 2007 rates posted yet.
Nov 7th, 2006, 05:50 PM

I really enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Estherea in July. The hotel is has a lovely lobby, bar, and breakfast area. The rooms I saw had very nice bathrooms. Our first one was quite large, though no a/c. It was warm in July, and we moved to the only, at that time, air conditioned floor. That room was pretty small, but it worked just fine for us. You will be able to book a nice room in your price range. It's located on one of the canals, walking distance to a street of restaurants, trams close by... lots to see and do. I recommend this hotel!
Nov 7th, 2006, 06:38 PM

I also recommend staying in Haarlem. We enjoyed visiting both Amsterdam and Haarlem when we visited, but when we go again we are planning to stay in Haarlem.

Check the schedule for the Keukenhof Gardens in 2007. It's a spectacular place to spend half a day. It's near Leiden and accessible by bus from Haarlem or Leiden. A car would make the trip to the Keukenhof simpler and there seemed to be ample parking when we visited.

The Corrie Ten Boom house in Haarlem was a neat place. The free tours have limited availability, but are very interesting.

Another interesting place we visited was the Aalsmeer Flower Auction. This is the largest flower wholesale distributor in the world. The inexpensive entry fee was well worth it for the self-guided tour on catwalks suspended over the auction and distribution warehouses. It was mind-boggling to see the set up. A google search should turn up their website with more info.

We stayed in Amsterdam for a couple of nights and used Priceline to get a room for around $100USD/nt at the Renaissance. It was in a good location, but I still think I would choose Haarlem on our next visit.
Nov 7th, 2006, 07:13 PM

If your trip coincides with Queen's Day in Amsterdam, you might not be able to get a room (or at a reasonable rate). Queen's Day is April 30 (giant street party/ rummage sale kind of thing).

p.s. I just looked up Hotel Singel earlier today, and it would be about 150E/double room (it's on the Singel canal).
Nov 8th, 2006, 02:21 AM

Haarlem's loveley, bu if you want to stay in Amsterdam instead, try the Singel Hotel, as Travelnut suggests. I have stayed there before, and would do so again like a shot!
Nov 8th, 2006, 05:17 AM

Unless you have decided that the only good lodging recommendations are here I would also look at the reviews on www.channels.nl

As to your car...solves a lot of problems but be prepared if you are going to try to park it near your hotel in A-dam.
Nov 8th, 2006, 07:00 AM

My daughter has been to Amsterdam many times and stayed at different hotels. I know this is one of her favorites for location and price.
http://www.dtfh.nl/en/index.htm
Nov 8th, 2006, 07:15 AM

We liked Hotel Keizerhof in Amsterdam -- Charlie Chaplain room with a lovely canal view. Great breakfast, nice hosts, very well cared for. Shower was in the room, with toilet in the hall.

We paid about 90 Euro per night, but that was in October. don't know what April would be like.

Also, this is a 1700s canal house and the stairs are corkscrew -- I counted 46 up to our room.

We spent 22 days in Europe and this was one of our favorite lodgings.

Nov 21st, 2006, 08:37 PM
Original Poster

TY everyone. We have changed our schedule...will go one day early & stay one day late; have booked a room at Hotel Estherea for first night(above my original budget...sigh...but made from online booking consolidator so lower than rack rate; Singel not available though closer to budget); will also stay a day late to do our own driving tour with last night at hotel in Haarlem...still checking the Lion, whatever, each day. Nothing yet, but we DO have a room in Haarlem. Tour will include Keukendorf & Aalsmeer otherwise we would not be taking it.

Checked out Rick Steve's videa on Holland...very nice!

TY all for suggestions!

Happy trails!
Nov 23rd, 2006, 11:55 AM

Pollyvw: You will enjoy the Estherea. I had researched rates before I booked there last summer. I contacted the hotel and asked if they would match the discounted rate offered on another booking website. They really treated us well and allowed us to move to another room, without paying a price difference. Have a wonderful trip!

Search this Thread